Why is Montgomery the OC? And will he be back?

AURex

I was reading an article today on the Sports Illustrated Auburn site that seemed to indicate that Freeze knew that Montgomery had "issues," yet hired him as offensive coordinator anyway. It also seemed to imply that, for the most part, Montgomery is calling all the offensive plays -- although Freeze says he calls the plays when Robby is in the game. Freeze says this is an issue of "terminology" for the players.

So first of all, I'm wondering why Freeze hired Montgomery to begin with. Was it just because he couldn't find anyone better? Or did he think Montgomery was really a very good offensive mind? Did he really believe Montgomery was a perfect fit for the Auburn offense rebuild?

Or was it because he felt he could not be effective as both head coach trying to rebuild the entire Auburn team plus being the offensive coordinator as well, responsible for installing a new offensive scheme and coaching at that level along with all his other HC responsibilities?

I guess my biggest questions are -- Will Montgomery be the OC next year? And will CHF take over the offense or find another OC who can actually put together a functional offense?

I've never coached a day in my life but it's obvious there is a more glaring issue on offense than talent. We are chronically doing stuff that the average fan knows is dumb....mainly the 2 QB system AND how it's being implemented. If it's Freeze's call, Montgomery should object enough to either get fired or quit unless it changes. It's his reputation on the line. If it's his idea, he should be fired end of season at the very least.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Montgomery is being used as the scapegoat, Montgomery ain’t the only calling plays. When something goes right Freeze will be quick to bring up he called it like that fade to Fairweather in the Cal game. He was quick to mention he called that play.

The offense being terrible isn’t just solely on Montgomery 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

I don’t know how great or how little information the guys at Locked on Auburn have, but they’re quote was: “I will be shocked if Montgomery is still here next season“

Now the question of why he was hired in the first place?… no idea

47 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

IMG_7614.png

This is what I have an issue with. Regardless if u need talent there is still a responsibility to those young men in the locker room. It’s game day the coach should be locked in. Just my half a cent opinion 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Montgomery is being used as the scapegoat, Montgomery ain’t the only calling plays. When something goes right Freeze will be quick to bring up he called it like that fade to Fairweather in the Cal game. He was quick to mention he called that play.

Freeze taking credit for the call at Cal is being overused. He also takes credit, or blame as it turns out, for calling the Ashford plays and those results are nothing to puff your chest out about. I think he knew he had to focus on recruiting to eventually and ultimately get the talent to Auburn that we need so that he can go back to calling plays. There aren’t a lot of top flight OCs that are going to be willing to come in and be willing to be part time on Saturdays. I think Freeze hired someone who was willing to do that. The plan isn’t working but I think we can stop with the “Hugh takes credit for the successful plays” rhetoric. He’s got a throw away season is essence and he’s using it. I doubt many of us could hold up under the hours he’s putting in recruiting along with coaching. He’s not perfect but it’s quite obvious he is trying to rebuild a proud program that has fallen due to mismanagement and poor hiring decisions. He’s taking some criticism now and he’s a big enough boy to take it. I’m not happy about the crap offense we’re seeing either and I have just as many questions why things are playing out like they are on the field, specifically QBs but I am nowhere close to doubting his coaching abilities as some on here are. He didn’t take the job because it was going to be easy. He took the job because it was going to be rewarding- hard work always is and I believe we will all be rewarded in a couple of years. Auburn football wasn’t torn down one season and it won’t be rebuilt in one season either. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, e808 said:

This is what I have an issue with. Regardless if u need talent there is still a responsibility to those young men in the locker room. It’s game day the coach should be locked in. Just my half a cent opinion 

The statement was edited to make it look worse than it is. He was responding to being nervous before a game…

Freeze’s segue in the exchange was the fact that he doesn't have much time to let himself get nervous on Saturdays. “I don't even get to think about the game until literally… I'll probably get out there with about 30 minutes left in warmups and you know it's go time then,” 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Freeze taking credit for the call at Cal is being overused. He also takes credit, or blame as it turns out, for calling the Ashford plays and those results are nothing to puff your chest out about. I think he knew he had to focus on recruiting to eventually and ultimately get the talent to Auburn that we need so that he can go back to calling plays. There aren’t a lot of top flight OCs that are going to be willing to come in and be willing to be part time on Saturdays. I think Freeze hired someone who was willing to do that. The plan isn’t working but I think we can stop with the “Hugh takes credit for the successful plays” rhetoric. He’s got a throw away season is essence and he’s using it. I doubt many of us could hold up under the hours he’s putting in recruiting along with coaching. He’s not perfect but it’s quite obvious he is trying to rebuild a proud program that has fallen due to mismanagement and poor hiring decisions. He’s taking some criticism now and he’s a big enough boy to take it. I’m not happy about the crap offense we’re seeing either and I have just as many questions why things are playing out like they are on the field, specifically QBs but I am nowhere close to doubting his coaching abilities as some on here are. He didn’t take the job because it was going to be easy. He took the job because it was going to be rewarding- hard work always is and I believe we will all be rewarded in a couple of years. Auburn football wasn’t torn down one season and it won’t be rebuilt in one season either. 

i think it is just pure hate for freeze with some of these guys and it is so obvious. i have never met a head coach without an ego. they all  do to some extent.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

We’ve had one HC that spent no time recruiting and now we have one that is all they do. 

I'll take door 2 (all he does is recruit) every time!!

• Like 6

Pure speculation here, but Montgomery was the HC at Tulsa for a number of years and Freeze might have felt he could hand over the offense to Montgomery while Freeze took most of his energy into recruiting.  This offense sure doesn’t have the feel of a Freeze offense from Ole Miss or Liberty.

Freeze must feel very confident in his contract that he can do what he is doing and confident that AD Cohen has his back.

Having said that; the on the field product is not working.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i think it is just pure hate for freeze with some of these guys and it is so obvious. i have never met a head coach without an ego. they all  do to some extent.

We have a LOT of malcontent fans that will NEVER be happy! Recliner experts that will bitch and find fault about EVERYTHING!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

This is the Gus situation all over again.  The biggest difference is Hugh actually tried to let someone else run the offense and not just say it.  If I was ever an AD Id hire nothing but defensive coaches as HC.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

We have a LOT of malcontent fans that will NEVER be happy! Recliner experts that will bitch and find fault about EVERYTHING!

i understand the frustration. but when you put out a thread where you say you still support the team and get laughed at it is pretty bad. i mean showing support during a tough time is bad?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, The Colonel said:

my biggest takeaway is - Sports Illustrated is still a thing?

I'm still waiting on my football phone

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Pure speculation here, but Montgomery was the HC at Tulsa for a number of years and Freeze might have felt he could hand over the offense to Montgomery while Freeze took most of his energy into recruiting.  This offense sure doesn’t have the feel of a Freeze offense from Ole Miss or Liberty.

Hugh should've taken a peak at the Montgomery offensive ineptitude at Tulsa before he did that.

We'll see how it ends up after December, but at the moment it looks like a large failure in building his initial staff.  Either he couldn't get the guys he wanted or the guys he wanted were bad.  I'm sure he pitched his ideal OC/DC in his interviews.

We pay well and Monty/Roberts are looking at ~$5mm in buyouts (with offsets) so they'll be compensated and we'll just continue to light money on fire.  Hope the next round is better and we don't flounder making the hire. 

• Like 3

I’m more concerned about getting back to a true Freeze offense more than who’s running it actually. It’s really weird what we’ve got going on. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hugh should've taken a peak at the Montgomery offensive ineptitude at Tulsa before he did that.

You don’t think he did?  I have no idea how the interviews went or what was promised. 

It will be up to Freeze and AD Cohen whether we are in the market for new coordinators at the end of the year.

Freeze is selling something on the offensive side of the ball or we wouldn’t be getting these commitments at WR.  It could all fall apart, but the early signing period  will be before any changes are made I would guess.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You don’t think he did?  I have no idea how the interviews went or what was promised. 

If he did and saw Tulsa consistently with one of the bottom 1/4 offenses in the country over the past 6 years and thought "I can turn the offense over to him" well, that just was extremely bad judgment. 

• Thanks 1