Holden moves to #2QB

AU-24

Holden Geriner moves up to No. 2 QB in Auburn practice

“I think Holden had one heck of a week last week,” Freeze said. “And he can really spin it, and he's probably one that — I think he's got a bright future.”

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/article/holden-geriner-auburn-quarterback-practice-tigers-2023-robby-ashford-219810108/

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I would be surprised if we see Robby play again.  I’m also pulling back on Holden transferring a little.  

What happened with Robbie?  I heard he "left the team" for a couple days.  But he was in uniform on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

What happened with Robbie?  I heard he "left the team" for a couple days.  But he was in uniform on Saturday.

I read an unsubstantiated article saying he fell out of favor with coaches because Caddy wasn’t running the program. 

25 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I read an unsubstantiated article saying he fell out of favor with coaches because Caddy wasn’t running the program. 

FTR, Not the reason 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish the young man well - here, there, or anywhere.

The most impactful lessons in life don’t come when things are going well. What we do in those moments matters now and down the road.

The best anyone can do is stay in a positive mindset, be brutally honest with yourself, don’t be reactive, and always be open and appreciative of constructive feedback.

It is not about agreeing or disagreeing. It is about knowing, so you can forge a path toward. 

• Like 5

I hope Robbie stays, for that matter, I hope they all stay!

I think what you are seeing is the natural progression of a team playing together in their first season. They are starting to gel and the coaches are starting to see how that talent translates to the field. During one of CHFs post vandy interviews, he mentioned not installing the full route tree with at least one of the receivers. As we continue to move towards the full install and understanding, it will be imperative to have a stable of running backs and quarterbacks of different strengths.

Robbie is an amazing athlete and sometimes, it's hard to quantify where a talent like that fits when everything is in flux.

The sunrise is orange and blue!

Edited by bostic up the middle

After the Spring game CFH said something along the lines of “I thought I had an idea of what the QB situation was like but now I need to rethink it”

My tinfoil take is he knew HG was a better all around QB from day one but RA provides better insurance with his legs even with his poor passing play so don’t run him off into the portal. Now that PT is settling in he knows RA will never be the guy and it’s time to move forward with HG in the backup slot. 

I’m probably wrong but it’s fun to speculate. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Robbie is a great athlete!!! Maybe too good. All his life he has been able to do great things on his own. Now in College it doesn't matter how good you are, you have to be able to play in a team atmosphere. You can see when he is in the game he still try's to do it all on his own and it just doesn't work.  Having George Pickens to throw to in high school made him look like a better passer than what he is. I'm sure he would excel if they could find another position to put him at. But QB isn't going to be in the cards for him.   

• WarTiger changed the title to Holden moves to #2QB

If Ashford wants to continue to play D1 ball, he had better look at changing positions.  Someone mentioned he would be a punishing safety, given time to learn the position.

If he's stuck on playing QB, he should transfer to a lower level.

Whatever he chooses, I hope he finds success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a reason he didn't see the field even once against Vanderbilt. 

• Like 3

The Rundown mentioned Freeze having a discussion with Robby last week prior to Vandy and apparently Robby didn’t take it well.  I believe they are getting their info straight from the horses mouth so to say.  

3 hours ago, WillMunny said:

If Ashford wants to continue to play D1 ball, he had better look at changing positions.  Someone mentioned he would be a punishing safety, given time to learn the position.

I don’t disagree but this is Robby’s 4th year in college. It’s rare for guys to successfully change positions at that point. He’s more likely to hit the portal and try to land as a qb somewhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bg5 said:

Robbie is a great athlete!!! Maybe too good. All his life he has been able to do great things on his own. Now in College it doesn't matter how good you are, you have to be able to play in a team atmosphere. You can see when he is in the game he still try's to do it all on his own and it just doesn't work.  Having George Pickens to throw to in high school made him look like a better passer than what he is. I'm sure he would excel if they could find another position to put him at. But QB isn't going to be in the cards for him.   

Good not great. 

• Like 1

Soooo, was Holden actually good, or is Hugh just upgrading Holden to that QB2 “he’s what we have if things go south, so I gotta talk him up” speak?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Electric, dynamic, fast, quick…lots of adjectives that don’t necessarily mean you’re great.

I probably will get downvoted for this but I consider his athleticism slightly overrated. Maybe it’s just the way he runs , iono . 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I probably will get downvoted for this but I consider his athleticism slightly overrated. Maybe it’s just the way he runs , iono . 

image.gif

IMG_3987.jpeg

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

No downvote but that is a interesting take.