NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

12 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I have to keep the faith. Definitely hoping that this game does not become much more than just a bad loss on a bad effort and night.

This is exactly what it was. This NMSU team did not surprise CHF, but for whatever reason, the players and possibly rest of the staff didn’t buy into Freeze’s message. It is his job to get them to buy in, but it is year one of basically a total rebuild/culture transformation.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok, Norvell lost to Jacksonville State in his second season at FSU.  Has them 11-0 right now and in position for a CFP berth (they lost their staring QB Travis and are losing to North Alabama right now early, but long way to go).

The point is that good coaches sometimes have awful, inexcusable losses early in their tenure at big schools.  

Look, we get it - you never wanted Freeze and you're venting your spleen about it now.  But there's nothing wrong with pointing this out.

Freeze lost to New Mexico State already. You telling me they snuck up on him twice?

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Stephen66 said:

Freeze lost to New Mexico State already. You telling me they snuck up on him twice?

Don't know that they snuck up on him, but Freeze did not have the team ready nor could they make any good adjustments. 

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I can't believe this happened. Did Gus or Harsin lay an egg like this? Either way, this was so bad I'm moving on. No spin whatsoever.

Gus, no, but he should have in 2015 vs JSU. Peyton Barber saved his a$$ that day in OT. Harsin, no, but he should have vs Georgia State 2 years ago when Bo had a horrible day and the refs gifted us a TE completion that wasn’t on what ended up being the last second GW drive by TJ Finley.

• Like 2

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

This damn video is as out of sync as the team was today

Yeah, I refreshed it a couple of times thinking it was my browser or something.  Weird.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This may have been the best thing to ever happen to this dump of a program 

I would agree if this was game 5, but this is game 11 after shellacking an SEC opponent in the road last week. This was a classic “all I gotta do is throw my jock strap out on the field” loss.  Pathetic effort in all phases except the kicking game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

He just lost to a team that has never beaten an SEC team ever...not jumping off any cliffs but outside of recruiting he has not out coached anyone this year. I mean he beat some bad teams but he has not won a game that we were not expected to win. This game we were expected to win and he still lost the game, so say what you want but outside of recruiting he has not shown that he can coach up a team. His excuse about not having better players doesn't hold up tonight since we had the better players and still lost and lost bad.

Thx, I already said what I wanted to, but thx for the offer.

I was finally starting to tune in a minute or two here or there for the AU games. Almost did today, but had school work to do for my masters degree. Glad I didn’t. This game has added to another season of not watching for next year, not worth the time. Reading for hours on end was definitely more enjoyable than this game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUINSY said:

I was finally starting to tune in a minute or two here or there for the AU games. Almost did today, but had school work to do for my masters degree. Glad I didn’t. This game has added to another season of not watching for next year, not worth the time. Reading for hours on end was definitely more enjoyable than this game.

It sucks to be irrelevant in football, but we’re just not anymore. Far from it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

I blame Bo Nix.

He's having an outstanding year! Best decision he ever made for his football career, was leaving Auburn.

I hope he wins the Heisman and the Natty!

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

It sucks to be irrelevant in football, but we’re just not anymore. Far from it. 

I suppose we’re finally relevant since we’re 6-6 and made a bowl game we’ll likely lose, so we can earn another 6-7 losing season?

6 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Gus, no, but he should have in 2015 vs JSU. Peyton Barber saved his a$$ that day in OT. Harsin, no, but he should have vs Georgia State 2 years ago when Bo had a horrible day and the refs gifted us a TE completion that wasn’t on what ended up being the last second GW drive by TJ Finley.

Every Auburn coach I can remember had their Jax St game (or 2 or 3), but I don’t know of any of them that actually lost and left us as embarrassed as this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, au701948 said:

We may not get a bowl invitation after the effort from this game.

And the destruction coming at the hands of Bama ...

2 minutes ago, au701948 said:

We may not get a bowl invitation after the effort from this game.

Even I'm not that negative lol.

But it's incredibly hard to fathom...before this game literally everything was pointing in the right direction for the program.

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I honestly thought this would be a close game. We were feeling good about ourselves and looking ahead to Bama. I didn't say it on here because I didn't want to hear that I was being negative. 

I thought if we turned the ball over and they had a big play or two, it would be a close game. 

But none of those things happened. No turnovers and no big plays. We were methodically dominated. 

We didn't just lose. We were blown out. 

When have we had a worse loss?

I can’t remember a worse loss in relation to the quality of opponents. Sure, Auburn has lost many games by more than 21 points, but never by any where this much when such a heavy favorite.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Every Auburn coach I can remember had their Jax St game (or 2 or 3), but I don’t know of any of them that actually lost and left us as embarrassed as this one.

Yeah I think Dye lost to Southern Miss in 90 or 91, but they probably had a little more gravitas than NMSU. Law of averages I guess? It is embarrassing.

Just now, PUB78 said:

I can’t remember a worse loss in relation to the quality of opponents. Sure, Auburn has lost many games by more than 21 points, but never by any where this much when such a heavy favorite.

I wonder how this loss against the spread (number of points) stacks up historically. It seriously might be the worst one ever. 

Couldn't get going on offense due to field position and bad bad penalties. Ways behind the chains on the first half drives which kept us unable to run. 

And we overran the QB I don't know how many times without contain on the edge

Why did we blitz on 3rd and goal from the 20? Totally whiffed. Should have kept that way in front of you. 

Full props to their QB. 2 TD passes right on the OOB line. Being DB university took a hit tonight. Ethridge needs to clean that up pronto

I think we all need to accept that this is just who CHF is. Remember when he was at Ole Miss? He beat two of the best Bama teams of all time, have the team highly ranked, then go get thumped by an unranked team he had no business losing to. As much as I hate it, I don't think we'll be seeing anything different during his tenure here. Watch us go out and beat Bama next week, then lose a bowl game to Valley High.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUApostle said:

Proud of how hard our kids battled today in an old fashioned slobberknocker.

They did not play well today. You could see the defense quit in the 4th quarter.

Things could be worse.  We could be Arkansas right now (currently losing to FIU).  Whatever happened this year as long as it was better than last year is a win.  On top of that, we have a great recruiting class coming in.  I was extremely frustrated watching this game.  As I have had time to cool off and think rationally, I think we will be ok.

• Like 1