Is it possible

LPTiger

That losing the way we did last night and this year is actually a plus with recruits?   How many fan bases continue to turn out as passionately as we do for a team with our record over the last 4 years.   Reading what recruits are saying about the game leads me to believe that, at a minimum, it wasn't even close to being a negative.   I can envision a pitch of "look how nuts these folks were for these kids who have just 6 wins.   Imagine how they will be with you when you come here, and we win championships."   It seems several are buying into come here and start a new legacy vs. going there and continuing one that has already been built.   IIRC, we couldn't get Ryan Williams to seriously consider us, and he left saying he "would be a fool not to put AU at the top of his list."   BCain saying he knows things we don't know about receivers and how happy we are going to be.  Williams reclasses, Thompson and Coleman....   Good gracious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

That losing the way we did last night and this year is actually a plus with recruits?   How many fan bases continue to turn out as passionately as we do for a team with our record over the last 4 years.   Reading what recruits are saying about the game leads me to believe that, at a minimum, it wasn't even close to being a negative.   I can envision a pitch of "look how nuts these folks were for these kids who have just 6 wins.   Imagine how they will be with you when you come here, and we win championships."   It seems several are buying into come here and start a new legacy vs. going there and continuing one that has already been built.   IIRC, we couldn't get Ryan Williams to seriously consider us, and he left saying he "would be a fool not to put AU at the top of his list."   BCain saying he knows things we don't know about receivers and how happy we are going to be.  Williams reclasses, Thompson and Coleman....   Good gracious. 

The pass that was dropped (broken up by the DB) by Jay Fair in the back of the end zone would have been a catch with a stronger, longer, faster receiver. Fair doesn't have the range to make that play when someone is on his back. We are going to have a lot of success with Thompson or Coleman running that exact same play. That is what you say to the recruit and that is exactly what is going to happen. 

I'm ready to be shocked. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

The pass that was dropped (broken up by the DB) by Jay Fair in the back of the end zone would have been a catch with a stronger, longer, faster receiver. Fair doesn't have the range to make that play when someone is on his back. We are going to have a lot of success with Thompson or Coleman running that exact same play. That is what you say to the recruit and that is exactly what is going to happen. 

I'm ready to be shocked. 

I will be glad when I don’t have to hold my breathe anymore for simple plays to be completed as well. The play when JJ was wide open , I literally was praying please put it on him and please do not drop it..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I will be glad when I don’t have to hold my breathe anymore for simple plays to be completed as well. The play when JJ was wide open , I literally was praying please put it on him and please do not drop it..

same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I read that in Malcolm Simmons playoff game Friday night, he dropped 3 passes.  I didn't see the game.  Maybe others that have watched him play this year can tell us if the reporter was correct and if so if that was just an anomaly.  I've read Bryce Cain is freaky quick but is still improving on his hands.   Again, I haven't seen him play.  When it comes to receivers, there are those that catch just about everything that they touch and those that don't.  If Sammie Coates could catch, he would still be in the NFL.  CeCe Lamb may drop one in every 15 attempts, but he isn't dropping 3 in a game.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I read that in Malcolm Simmons playoff game Friday night, he dropped 3 passes.  I didn't see the game.  Maybe others that have watched him play this year can tell us if the reporter was correct and if so if that was just an anomaly.  I've read Bryce Cain is freaky quick but is still improving on his hands.   Again, I haven't seen him play.  When it comes to receivers, there are those that catch just about everything that they touch and those that don't.  If Sammie Coates could catch, he would still be in the NFL.  CeCe Lamb may drop one in every 15 attempts, but he isn't dropping 3 in a game.   

Big part of that is repetition and trust. The WR coach is always the bad guy I feel, but I think it is the obligation of both QB and WR to develop that. If there is even a hint of inconsistency between the two it will impact quality of play. 

6 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

No. A better narrative is, “they outplayed a way better opponent and pulled the massive upset. Imagine what they can do with me joining the team.” 

Yeah, it’s a positive either way (I don’t think the majority of them care about wins or losses for a team they aren’t playing on), but you probably feel a smidgen better if you have 98% of that game play out without the end going as it did. Probably the same case for the UGA 4th quarter 

Again, it’s a net positive either way, but I don’t see why they’d be particularly encouraged in a loss rather than a victory

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah, it’s a positive either way (I don’t think the majority of them care about wins or losses for a team they aren’t playing on), but you probably feel a smidgen better if you have 98% of that game play out without the end going as it did. Probably the same case for the UGA 4th quarter 

Again, it’s a net positive either way, but I don’t see why they’d be particularly encouraged in a loss rather than a victory

Probably a reach, but "you can be the reason Auburn beats Alabama for the first time in five years and for every year after that."

• Like 1

Just now, LPTiger said:

Probably a reach, but "you can be the reason Auburn beats Alabama for the first time in five years and for every year after that."

True, I think it’s impossible to derive a bad narrative from yesterday’s performance, as far as recruits go. Every unit looked well coached for 99% of the game, and yet, they all looked replaceable by superior talent (except RB). That’s as well an outcome as you could hope for

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

True, I think it’s impossible to derive a bad narrative from yesterday’s performance, as far as recruits go. Every unit looked well coached for 99% of the game, and yet, they all looked replaceable by superior talent (except RB). That’s as well an outcome as you could hope for

Bolden and Patterson had to love seeing Simpson flip the Bama running back.   And then Puckett blowing a coverage.   Both are seniors....   We will miss Simpson next year.  Kid always gave us his best....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Bolden and Patterson had to love seeing Simpson flip the Bama running back.   And then Puckett blowing a coverage.   Both are seniors....   We will miss Simpson next year.  Kid always gave us his best....

Wouldn't it be something if we could convince Simp and Scott to return.  

• Like 1

Up very late battling insomnia. So I’m not sure how clear this post will be. But I’ve had time tonight to really think about the OP. This doesn’t help Auburn, but maybe doesn’t hurt it in recruiting either. 

If we won maybe 2 more games prior to this weekend and managed to upset Alabama the way we were close to doing, the message to recruits Ibs very simple. “We were able to beat Bama without good talent. Come here and we’ll have the talent to stomp them consistently.”

Instead of that, we now have to rely on “you’re the missing piece. We can maybe beat Bama some years with you here” statements. Come here, and we might have enough talent to actually win instead of falling apart late is a weak pitch. Honestly, it isn’t an invalid argument, but it is harder to sell to 17 year olds.

Edited by ScotsAU

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wouldn't it be something if we could convince Simp and Scott to return.  

Simpson walked out with the seniors but Scott did not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Simpson walked out with the seniors but Scott did not.

I think Scott comes back.   He hasn't put enough tape out there yet.  I'd love for Simpson to come back but it is probably best for him to go try to make it in the NFL.

11 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I don’t know s— about how a DB should play, but even to my untrained eyes, that Zion Puckett fella is something else. In a not positive way