Freeze Press Conference - Post Iron Bowl

Paladin

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

The play wasn't the problem

It wasn't a problem that coming out of a timeout, our coaches proceeded to collectively make the decision to decline applying even an ounce of pressure on Milroe?

It looked like the bama olinemen were playing patty-cake with 2 of our defensive guys, Milroe had time to take a catnap before the heaved that ball 40 yrds to the endzone.  

34 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It wasn't a problem that coming out of a timeout, our coaches proceeded to collectively make the decision to decline applying even an ounce of pressure on Milroe?

It looked like the bama olinemen were playing patty-cake with 2 of our defensive guys, Milroe had time to take a catnap before the heaved that ball 40 yrds to the endzone.  

Excuse me, let me rephrase... The coverage wasn't the problem 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Thank you, I agree.  

I would've overloaded and brought 3 from the field and forced him into the boundary. Cut the field in half. 

• Love 2

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I would've overloaded and brought 3 from the field and forced him into the boundary. Cut the field in half. 

At least make his butt cheeks clinch forcing him to make a quick decision before pulling the trigger. 

😠

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Great point. But here’s the thing. Rob Pate had a column a few years ago (Gus days), and made a great point about Saban. According to Rob, Saban’s most important decisions aren’t made on game day under duress. They are made in each practice and film session, year round. He is relentless in preparing for every scenario. Game day is just about execution. So it should’ve surprised no one when Nick indicated that not only had they prepared for that scenario, they practice it and even have a name for it. We are obviously not close to there yet, but I believe this staff can get there. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

The problem I have is that fans are griping and blaming the wrong thing.

DJ isn't the one who blew the play and it wasn't the DC that called the play. As has been stated, one can't cover that long. You're right. That's why you have safeties over the top to play the ball. One on the man, and one on the ball.  Now imagine the pass again-- DJ where he was, but you had a safety drifting over and undercutting the receiver -- it's an easy pbu. 

4 across the back of the end zone and 4 on the goal line watching for the ball.

I would have been tempted to get milroe to run. Unlikely he scores on a 31 yard run. 

Man, it's still stings.

• Like 4

On 11/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, Dan-0 said:

THIS! Even with 8 defenders covering 5 receivers, eventually one of those receivers is going to break free and it only takes a second for the QB to hit a receiver at 30 yards. This is basic backyard football!

I know we have the benefit of hindsight and we are Monday morning quarterbacks. But it would be nice to hear Freeze say it was a mistake not to rush Milroe AT ALL on fourth and 31.

Yes, it would help if he  or the DC come out and say this was a very bad call on their part. One in a thousand chance of success, but it blew-up in their face.

• Like 1

At least Freeze said six wins were not  enough. Should have been 7 or 8 .  I know this is his first year and recruiting seems to be going great, but I would only give him a "C" grade on coaching and execution in his first year.  However, it is a lot to learn and absorb in less than a full years timeframe.  Hopefully recruiting will  be an "A",  unless HF is like Gus and makes 4-stars into 2-stars.

3 hours ago, PUB78 said:

At least Freeze said six wins were not  enough. Should have been 7 or 8 .  I know this is his first year and recruiting seems to be going great, but I would only give him a "C" grade on coaching and execution in his first year.  However, it is a lot to learn and absorb in less than a full years timeframe.  Hopefully recruiting will  be an "A",  unless HF is like Gus and makes 4-stars into 2-stars.

Hugh is so laser focused and consumed with recruiting that he couldn't devote the attention to actual coaching this year.  I hope that changes soon and he hires support staff to handle the lion's share of the leg work & evaluations for talent.  I also hope he can devote a heck of a lot of time and effort into developing that talent he worked so hard to acquire.  I also hope he can devote a heck of a lot of time and effort into the offensive scheme and play calling as well. 

Hugh's been spread thin since he hit the Plains, it won't get any easier any time soon.  The poor guy looks like he's aged 5 yrs since he's been here.  

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I think C is being generous. I would grade him C- to D. The complete lack of preparation for the NMSU game and the rushing of 2 men (before the play , everyone in the stands around me said the same thing; put pressure on the QB. Do not give him time to find an open man) indicates to me that this staff is below average for this level of football. This team would have the opportunity to play for their 9th win in a bowl game if we would have had decent coaching this year. That would have been huge. But now, we have the possibility of a losing season.

I was very much pleased with Freeze hiring initially, but I have been severely disappointed over the year. No real improvement on the offense from game 1. We are still a terrible passing team. There was a thread a few weeks ago about wanting players on your team that know how to win vs more talented players. That same thought can apply to coaches and right now we have coaches that do not know how to win.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:11 PM, bigbird said:

Specifically force him to his left.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 3:22 AM, bigbird said:

The problem I have is that fans are griping and blaming the wrong thing.

DJ isn't the one who blew the play and it wasn't the DC that called the play. As has been stated, one can't cover that long. You're right. That's why you have safeties over the top to play the ball. One on the man, and one on the ball.  Now imagine the pass again-- DJ where he was, but you had a safety drifting over and undercutting the receiver -- it's an easy pbu. 

EXACTLY!!!! A guy screws up (not DJ) and everyone wants to fire the coach. If all of our 8 guys do their job on the play then we win the game. Those 8 guys could cover the endzone for 10 minutes if they just do their job.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 3:18 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Great point. But here’s the thing. Rob Pate had a column a few years ago (Gus days), and made a great point about Saban. According to Rob, Saban’s most important decisions aren’t made on game day under duress. They are made in each practice and film session, year round. He is relentless in preparing for every scenario. Game day is just about execution. So it should’ve surprised no one when Nick indicated that not only had they prepared for that scenario, they practice it and even have a name for it. We are obviously not close to there yet, but I believe this staff can get there. 

The UAT player said that they had not practiced that play/route.

23 minutes ago, Grumps said:

The UAT player said that they had not practiced that play/route.

They practice that game situation. They call it Gravedigger. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I think C is being generous. I would grade him C- to D. The complete lack of preparation for the NMSU game and the rushing of 2 men (before the play , everyone in the stands around me said the same thing; put pressure on the QB. Do not give him time to find an open man) indicates to me that this staff is below average for this level of football. This team would have the opportunity to play for their 9th win in a bowl game if we would have had decent coaching this year. That would have been huge. But now, we have the possibility of a losing season.

I was very much pleased with Freeze hiring initially, but I have been severely disappointed over the year. No real improvement on the offense from game 1. We are still a terrible passing team. There was a thread a few weeks ago about wanting players on your team that know how to win vs more talented players. That same thought can apply to coaches and right now we have coaches that do not know how to win.

You need to consider that Auburn is in uncharted territory. You need to consider the number of last second transfers we got just to field a team. You need to consider who Freeze could also hire. All of those things will impact preparation. Then, you have to consider that the coaching staff put the team in a position to win. Then, the coaches have to consider the players they have and what they can and cannot execute. You have seen them in practice and in games not able to do certain things. 

Then, you lose even more faith in your players when your punt returner fumbles the ball. How can he do that? And you know your guys can't generate a pass rush. YOU KNOW ALABAMA WILL HOLD, and it won't be called this late in the game. YOU KNOW HE WILL STILL HAVE TIME TO THROW. 

What do you do? 

The best decision is to force Milroe to stay home and throw because you have film on him making some bad throws when he has to stay in the pocket. You have film on him excelling while throwing the ball well on the run or taking off and running. This guy without a doubt could have run it in for a TD. 

Saban on the other hand is thinking this, I have the very best players in college football, and I know they can do almost anything. I know we will have plenty of pass protection time. So I will send my great NFL WRs deep, and will I allow my strong armed NFL QB to make a play because I have seen it in practice. I know he is going to win the Heisman next year. 

And after all this, you decide that "we have coaches that don't know how to win?" 

First year coaches struggle and that is a fact not lost on avid college football fans like myself. 

Edited by Auburn93

On 11/28/2023 at 2:17 PM, JerryAU said:

He threw a strike. He is going to win the Heisman next year and play many years in the NFL. Bama linemen would have held our OL, and he still would have taken a catnap. The other team made the play, and we didn't. It wasn't a bad idea. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I really wanted to give him a C-. The O did improve in four of the last five games. However, the extremely poor performance against LSU with two weeks off and the total lack of effort and focus against NMST,  gives me great concerns .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

You need to consider that Auburn is in uncharted territory. You need to consider the number of last second transfers we got just to field a team. You need to consider who Freeze could also hire. All of those things will impact preparation. Then, you have to consider that the coaching staff put the team in a position to win. Then, the coaches have to consider the players they have and what they can and cannot execute. You have seen them in practice and in games not able to do certain things. 

Then, you lose even more faith in your players when your punt returner fumbles the ball. How can he do that? And you know your guys can't generate a pass rush. YOU KNOW ALABAMA WILL HOLD, and it won't be called this late in the game. YOU KNOW HE WILL STILL HAVE TIME TO THROW. 

What do you do? 

The best decision is to force Milroe to stay home and throw because you have film on him making some bad throws when he has to stay in the pocket. You have film on him excelling while throwing the ball well on the run or taking off and running. This guy without a doubt could have run it in for a TD. 

Saban on the other hand is thinking this, I have the very best players in college football, and I know they can do almost anything. I know we will have plenty of pass protection time. So I will send my great NFL WRs deep, and will I allow my strong armed NFL QB to make a play because I have seen it in practice. I know he is going to win the Heisman next year. 

And after all this, you decide that "we have coaches that don't know how to win?" 

First year coaches struggle and that is a fact not lost on avid college football fans like myself. 

Lots of assumptions here and I won’tcomment on them except the last sentence. These are not first year coaches. They have coached at this level before. They have been in pressure situations before. They should have performed better. With the exception of Harsin, you could see and feel AU teams get better in the first year of Dye, Bowden, Tubervillle, Chizek and Malzhan. 
That’s what avid football fans see. 

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

EXACTLY!!!! A guy screws up (not DJ) and everyone wants to fire the coach. If all of our 8 guys do their job on the play then we win the game. Those 8 guys could cover the endzone for 10 minutes if they just do their job.

I haven't seen posters on here wanting to fire the coach. At least not any serious person. 

But you better believe there will be criticism after the last 2 games. The guy getting paid $7 million a year can handle it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

I haven't seen posters on here wanting to fire the coach. At least not any serious person. 

But you better believe there will be criticism after the last 2 games. The guy getting paid $7 million a year can handle it. 

You haven't seen anyone wanting to fire the DC since the Iron Bowl?