2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

7 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Would be interesting to see actual stats on SEC team pass drops. Some of us feel the number is high, while some feel the number is low.

It needs to be a percentage and not total number because we threw so few passes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

It needs to be a percentage and not total number because we threw so few passes.

True statistically speaking. In our comments we keep blaming drops as impacting PT stats but they (drops) are a part of all QB’s stats. My gut feeling is that if we had the ability to balance our offense when we need to, we would be in a different place than what we are and have been for a few years. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Even if you take 50% of the catchable balls the WRs dropped this your PT has a 3000 yard passing season.

Thorne had 1671 passing yards in 2023. So by your calculations our receivers dropped 1329 yds worth of passes(and only 50% of what you say were catchable). I assume youve got numbers that show how many open receivers never had the ball thrown their way as well? I can see saying the receivers were bad but the QB was bad too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CR said:

Thorne had 1671 passing yards in 2023. So by your calculations our receivers dropped 1329 yds worth of passes(and only 50% of what you say were catchable). I assume youve got numbers that show how many open receivers never had the ball thrown their way as well? I can see saying the receivers were bad but the QB was bad too.

If anyone wants to go through each game and total this up, you'll have my admiration and respect.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CR said:

I can see saying the receivers were bad but the QB was bad too.

This, ever since the iron bowl happened Auburn fans have been forgetting how bad the QB play actually was and keep blaming the offensive woes on the WR’s only.

The QB play was just as bad as the WR’s were

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

As a point if reference.  GA starting QB, Beck wants 4mil. In NIL money to come back next yr. 

And if he does not get it….does he leave?

35 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

As a point if reference.  GA starting QB, Beck wants 4mil. In NIL money to come back next yr. 

How in the world would anyone know this? Sounds like pure make believe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He isn't that good, nor adds that much value to GA.

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised that Riley hasn't been inked with ND yet. Just a feeling, but it wouldn't surprise me if HF is working quitely to secure Cam or Riley. It's hard for me to believe that he's pushing hard to upgrade every position on the team but not at QB. We may not land either QB but I don't believe for one second that we're not pushing hard to get a top-rated QB in the portal. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

This, ever since the iron bowl happened Auburn fans have been forgetting how bad the QB play actually was and keep blaming the offensive woes on the WR’s only.

The QB play was just as bad as the WR’s were

There is….. *say the line* proof of concept for Thorne having a good statistical season and a power 5 team winning double digit games with him as the starting QB with good weapons surrounding him. It’s clear we aren’t going to get one of the high profile QBs in the portal so might as well spin a positive AU narrative in the meantime! 😂😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is….. *say the line* proof of concept for Thorne having a good statistical season and a power 5 team winning double digit games with him as the starting QB with good weapons surrounding him. It’s clear we aren’t going to get one of the high profile QBs in the portal so might as well spin a positive AU narrative in the meantime! 😂😂

Basically this. The QB is going to be here and most of those WRs won’t be here. So Payton gets the love

There were people in here who adored Bryan Harsin at one point, giving PT props is small potatoes in comparison 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Basically this. The QB is going to be here and most of those WRs won’t be here. So Payton gets the love

There were people in here who adored Bryan Harsin at one point, giving PT props is small potatoes in comparison 

So I can mark you down as not drinking the kook aid just yet!? I just need you to rsvp to what team you are going to be on! 😂😂

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CR said:

The problem with that are:

Was the QB under duress? If so he gets a bit of a pass and the failure falls on the OL.

Was the WR running the correct route? If he wasn't, the QB gets a bit of a pass since the WR wasn't where he was supposed to be.

These are things only the players and coaches know. What we  know is when the ball hits the WR stone cold in the hands and they drop it or when the pass is uncatchable because it was a bad throw.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

On the Cubelic an McElroy show today.  The had finebaum on there. Heisman candidates for next year came up. They mentioned Milroe and Beck. Then either Cubelic or McElroy said something along the lines that Beck was asking for 4 mil in NIL. Finebaum agreed. Not saying I believe it but Cubelic is pretty in tuned

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Cole Cubelic and Greg McElroy show

I certainly would not call him a liar, but what would be the value to let this be known from UGA’s take?

• Like 1

Maybe it has been covered but i have a question about QB recruiting and Freeze thoughts on it. 
Are we going to try to get a qb through the Transfer portal? If  not, why when there are so many available? 

37 minutes ago, lost said:

Maybe it has been covered but i have a question about QB recruiting and Freeze thoughts on it. 
Are we going to try to get a qb through the Transfer portal? If  not, why when there are so many available? 

@lost Not sure if we are going to get a QB or not. Word is Freeze expects a major upgrade in Thorne in his 2nd year at AU. So much so it sounds like most QB transfers coming in to year 1 at AU would be sizeable underdogs to beat Thorne out for QB1.

• Like 1