2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

On 12/12/2023 at 8:07 AM, TAYLORKEETON said:

James Madison’s Jordan McCloud - Nick Marshall is a comparison.  3,413 yards, 32 touchdowns compared to just 9 interceptions, and a passer rating of 167.4, he carried the ball 92 times for 311 yards and 8 touchdowns. 6'0, 200 pounds. Saw article where he was mentioned with us. Anybody with knowledge, is this dude a target of ours?

What? This is the first I've heard. I've been over in the nest trying to will this into existence cause I think he's massively underrated. But this is the first I've heard where Auburn and McCloud have been mentioned together. Do you have a link to the article? Was it just speculation?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

What? This is the first I've heard. I've been over in the nest trying to will this into existence cause I think he's massively underrated. But this is the first I've heard where Auburn and McCloud have been mentioned together. Do you have a link to the article? Was it just speculation?

FWIW,,, I have a friend who is on the same bandwagon.  He believes McCloud makes us a playoff lock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

FWIW,,, I have a friend who is on the same bandwagon.  He believes McCloud makes us a playoff lock.

Looks like a good pickup and a weapon 

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Saw on some article where it was mentioned about him possibly being a "fit" for our O. Can't remember which website but was just wondering if he even is in consideration or if it was just click bait. 

4 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

That’s great but who is Andrew Hughes and Jake Mitchell? Are they insiders with solid info or just guys with an opinion about his skillset being a good fit? 

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s great but who is Andrew Hughes and Jake Mitchell? Are they insiders with solid info or just guys with an opinion about his skillset being a good fit? 

I have no idea…that’s why I posted it, to find out 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I guess he still ain't as good as Pt. 

That must have been a pretty bad concussion he sustained because it happened in the 8th game this year and he hasn't played a single down since then from my understanding. NC State and UCF were the only 2 teams going after him in the portal from what I've seen. I wonder if all the teams were kinda spooked about his injury and passed him over?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I suspect we will pass.  His two starts for Texas this year were marred by turnovers, and he is not much of a runner.   Big potential but far from proven. He is a good kid and team player though and likely will be a hot commodity.  He's not transferring to be a backup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

That must have been a pretty bad concussion he sustained because it happened in the 8th game this year and he hasn't played a single down since then from my understanding. NC State and UCF were the only 2 teams going after him in the portal from what I've seen. I wonder if all the teams were kinda spooked about his injury and passed him over?

Great point. It's gotta be something from us wanting him bad last yr to not caring this yr

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I suspect we will pass.  His two starts for Texas this year were marred by turnovers, and he is not much of a runner.   Big potential but far from proven. He is a good kid and team player though and likely will be a hot commodity.  He's not transferring to be a backup.

My guess is he will go back to the west coast 

I'm starting to think that Freeze isn't looking for a transfer to be QB1 next year, or even compete for the top slot. Unless some of either Geriner, Brown or White jump ship I think Freeze stands pat. If we lose some backups, he may try to get a backup QB through the portal.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm starting to think that Freeze isn't looking for a transfer to be QB1 next year

this-is-just-occurring-to-you-oliver.gif 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

this-is-just-occurring-to-you-oliver.gif 

No, it's not just occurring to me. I was trying to be mindful of those posters who are holding out hope for Mr. Magic Wand to come to Auburn in January. See the thread in the main football forum for details.

People that are panicking about not bringing in a portal QB are unaware that we are switching to the triple option next year with PT at the trigger.   Please don't tell anyone outside of this board.   It really needs to stay a secret. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, it's not just occurring to me. I was trying to be mindful of those posters who are holding out hope for Mr. Magic Wand to come to Auburn in January. See the thread in the main football forum for details.

You misspelled Mr. Magic Ward. 

😜

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm starting to think that Freeze isn't looking for a transfer to be QB1 next year, or even compete for the top slot. Unless some of either Geriner, Brown or White jump ship I think Freeze stands pat. If we lose some backups, he may try to get a backup QB through the portal.

This, and Freeze's comments last spring re Grayson McCall suggest his portal QB interest then was ltd to top tier program veterans wanting more NIL w/ same skill set as our young QBs - to start 2023 season & mentor/ease our youngsters into Freezeball & big time football. Mccall would have been perfect but Thorne may fit that profile so Freeze may stand pat.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 12:01 PM, aucanucktiger said:

This, and Freeze's comments last spring re Grayson McCall suggest his portal QB interest then was ltd to top tier program veterans wanting more NIL w/ same skill set as our young QBs - to start 2023 season & mentor/ease our youngsters into Freezeball & big time football. Mccall would have been perfect but Thorne may fit that profile so Freeze may stand pat.

Damn I hope not. Last year was a disaster. AU needs a qb guys. The starter is not on campus yet 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Anything to kj Jefferson to AU? We in a spot now where we need a QB with experience. 

Are you hearing something new?  If so, from where?

3 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Damn I hope not. Last year was a disaster. AU needs a qb guys. The starter is not on campus yet 

Why can't Freeze just develop the QB's already on the roster? This was supposed to be his greatest strength, developing QB's and doing more with less. Malik Willis couldn't get on the field here but went to Liberty and got drafted. Hugh also developed Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly into pretty good QB's. Peyton Thorne actually regressed quiet a bit under Freeze and Montgomery. I know people blame his regression on SEC defenses but the BIG 10 ain't exactly chopped liver, especially their defenses. Robby didn't get any better and I highly doubt that Geriner has gotten better or he would've gotten atleast a half to show what he can do. 

That's a big part of my frustration this year with Hugh. I haven't seen the progression and development of our QB's. My other issue with him is he smoked Arkansas when nobody seen that coming, loses to NMSU in embarrassing fashion and then damn near knocked off Georgia and Bama. The pattern of playing WAAAAY up and then WAAAAY down is still an issue in year 11 of his 11 year HC career. 

Those are honestly my only 2 issues with him. We couldn't ask for a better recruiter or a harder working recruiter than Hugh has been. If he could just tie up those 2 loose ends, I would be ecstatic with everything he does and brings to our program. After I cooled off from the NMSU and Bama losses, I would say I'm about 80/20 in favor of the job he has done so far. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Why can't Freeze just develop the QB's already on the roster? This was supposed to be his greatest strength, developing QB's and doing more with less. Malik Willis couldn't get on the field here but went to Liberty and got drafted. Hugh also developed Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly into pretty good QB's. Peyton Thorne actually regressed quiet a bit under Freeze and Montgomery. I know people blame his regression on SEC defenses but the BIG 10 ain't exactly chopped liver, especially their defenses. Robby didn't get any better and I highly doubt that Geriner has gotten better or he would've gotten atleast a half to show what he can do. 

That's a big part of my frustration this year with Hugh. I haven't seen the progression and development of our QB's. My other issue with him is he smoked Arkansas when nobody seen that coming, loses to NMSU in embarrassing fashion and then damn near knocked off Georgia and Bama. The pattern of playing WAAAAY up and then WAAAAY down is still an issue in year 11 of his 11 year HC career. 

Those are honestly my only 2 issues with him. We couldn't ask for a better recruiter or a harder working recruiter than Hugh has been. If he could just tie up those 2 loose ends, I would be ecstatic with everything he does and brings to our program. After I cooled off from the NMSU and Bama losses, I would say I'm about 80/20 in favor of the job he has done so far. 

I thought you had 11 issues with him, not  2. Lol

• Haha 2