2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I certainly would not call him a liar, but what would be the value to let this be known from UGA’s take?

It would put pressure on Beck to be more reasonable. He can get $1.5 easily, but $4 mil is just insane.

James Madison’s Jordan McCloud - Nick Marshall is a comparison.  3,413 yards, 32 touchdowns compared to just 9 interceptions, and a passer rating of 167.4, he carried the ball 92 times for 311 yards and 8 touchdowns. 6'0, 200 pounds. Saw article where he was mentioned with us. Anybody with knowledge, is this dude a target of ours?

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

It would put pressure on Beck to be more reasonable. He can get $1.5 easily, but $4 mil is just insane.

I think Beck/representative should see through that pretty easily. He would know where the leak came from. Would probably lean him in a different direction I believe.

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

James Madison’s Jordan McCloud - Nick Marshall is a comparison.  3,413 yards, 32 touchdowns compared to just 9 interceptions, and a passer rating of 167.4, he carried the ball 92 times for 311 yards and 8 touchdowns. 6'0, 200 pounds. Saw article where he was mentioned with us. Anybody with knowledge, is this dude a target of ours?

NO COMPARISON.   https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1341350/5721ab820dcb0d12f835e7a7 NIC MARSHALL WAS FLUID, COULD SHIFT LIKE A PHENOM. NIC WAS THROWING THE BALL SIXTY YARDS IN AIR WHILE RUNNING BACKWARDS. The guy should have won a HEISMAN. McCloud is just another QB.

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

NO COMPARISON.   https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1341350/5721ab820dcb0d12f835e7a7 NIC MARSHALL WAS FLUID, COULD SHIFT LIKE A PHENOM. NIC WAS THROWING THE BALL SIXTY YARDS IN AIR WHILE RUNNING BACKWARDS. The guy should have won a HEISMAN. McCloud is just another QB.

Would be good to see that competition during spring.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

@lost Not sure if we are going to get a QB or not. Word is Freeze expects a major upgrade in Thorne in his 2nd year at AU. So much so it sounds like most QB transfers coming in to year 1 at AU would be sizeable underdogs to beat Thorne out for QB1.

Maybe the QB transfers are looking at pretty much a guaranteed starting spot and Freeze isn’t willing to do that because his confidence has grown in Thorne. 
I’m guessing that CHF will have to bring in someone because of  us loosing one or two QBs to the portal

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I think Beck/representative should see through that pretty easily. He would know where the leak came from. Would probably lean him in a different direction I believe.

So add him to the AU QB portal thread?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Wiltfong mentioned  Cam Ward and AU this morning on Sirius radionshow

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7tvmg5c9grlfa06mbsx

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:39 AM, Sizzle said:

This, ever since the iron bowl happened Auburn fans have been forgetting how bad the QB play actually was and keep blaming the offensive woes on the WR’s only.

The QB play was just as bad as the WR’s were

The OL was the worst unit on the offense.  The QB rarely had a chance to set his feet.  The few times he did he was still hurried by a collapsing pocket.  The OL was horrible.  Because we couldn't block we had to resort to using multiple TEs to run block which limited the number of WRs on the field which in turn made it hard to get open.  The Cluster that was the auburn offense still fell squarely on the OL.  If our OL is decent, then we have more opportunities to create space and the QB has more time to find guys open.  It also allows the QB to set his feet and deliver a catchable ball.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gman87 said:

The problem with that are:

Was the QB under duress? If so he gets a bit of a pass and the failure falls on the OL.

Was the WR running the correct route? If he wasn't, the QB gets a bit of a pass since the WR wasn't where he was supposed to be.

These are things only the players and coaches know. What we  know is when the ball hits the WR stone cold in the hands and they drop it or when the pass is uncatchable because it was a bad throw.

We know the OL was like a sift.  Anyone watching the games can see the QB having to move almost immediately to one side or the other depending on who is losing the one on one battle (sometimes two on one).  Not many clean pockets in the LSU, A&M, Cal or NMSU games.  Thorne was dodging rushers as soon as the ball hit his hands over and over.  Easy to see.  And Coach did nothing to help for about 8 games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I don’t think QB’s like Beck at programs loaded with talent have that much leverage. 

The back up just went to UK and one of their 2024 QBs just flipped to Nebraska.  Things might be getting thin in the QB room.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

The back up just went to UK and one of their 2024 QBs just flipped to Nebraska.  Things might be getting thin in the QB room.

I agree.  He does have leverage.  It is pure market stupidity that some of the QBs, and other positions for that matter, are being paid these amounts, but until the thing comes crashing down, this is where we are. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'm a little surprised that Riley hasn't been inked with ND yet. Just a feeling, but it wouldn't surprise me if HF is working quitely to secure Cam or Riley. It's hard for me to believe that he's pushing hard to upgrade every position on the team but not at QB. We may not land either QB but I don't believe for one second that we're not pushing hard to get a top-rated QB in the portal. 

@WarEagle1983 ICYMI not sure if we are going to get a QB or not. Word is Freeze expects a major upgrade in Thorne in his 2nd year at AU. So much so it sounds like most QB transfers coming in to year 1 at AU would be sizeable underdogs to beat Thorne out for QB1.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Dylan Raiola, although I'm not sure it's a done deal yet. 

15 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Dylan Raiola, although I'm not sure it's a done deal yet. 

Still provides leverage for Beck.

Unless CHF can convince High Profile Portal QBs that OL and WRs will be greatly improved I doubt if we get one. Some probably want guarantees too. I think he will be able to convince them about WRs after ENSD. I agree that we get a QB but probably not one that will please everyone. WDE!!