2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

He better get right between the ears cuz there was too many bonehead decisions with someone so experienced. Sure wr’s had a hard time getting open but when they were he made inexplicable errant passes. He showed some spunk later in the season but he’s played enough to where this is who he is. He definitely needs a big time wr to bail him out

This was always the talk surrounding Thorne when he came here. Michigan State boards said he was fine in 2021 when he had an NFL WR and RB. Thorne went 11-2 that year. When he lost those 2 key players to the draft after 2021, he finished 5-7 the next season and that was with Keon Coleman as his #1 option at WR. Coleman is a stud as he showed this year at Florida State. I know that Thorne was banged up during the 2022 season but he was still healthy enough to start every game. 

He is a game manager that can get you to 10+ wins when you put NFL talent around him at the skill positions. When you have to flip your roster last minute with portal players like Hugh had to when he took the job, Thorne is a 6-6 QB. 

4 minutes ago, BoogingBarner said:

This was always the talk surrounding Thorne when he came here. Michigan State boards said he was fine in 2021 when he had an NFL WR and RB. Thorne went 11-2 that year. When he lost those 2 key players to the draft after 2021, he finished 5-7 the next season and that was with Keon Coleman as his #1 option at WR. Coleman is a stud as he showed this year at Florida State. I know that Thorne was banged up during the 2022 season but he was still healthy enough to start every game. 

He is a game manager that can get you to 10+ wins when you put NFL talent around him at the skill positions. When you have to flip your roster last minute with portal players like Hugh had to when he took the job, Thorne is a 6-6 QB. 

We’ll see…just manage the game and don’t throw stupid picks. Gonna be the 2nd year playing in the sec. Stop playing scared.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Another translation. A good number of our current WRs aren't good at football. A top transfer QB ain't going to make them much, if any better.

And most of those receivers have left or are headed out the door. A top transfer QB would make what looks to be a much improved group that much better.

Many thought a top portal QB was coming here and that's how Hugh sold Coleman, Thompson, Cain and Simmons to come here as top WR's but we now see that's not true. My guess is that he showed those guys what Thorne did in 2021, going 11-2 with great skill position talent around him and that he can do that again if they sign with AU. Great sales job by Freeze if they all sign this wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BoogingBarner said:

Sorry, I can't find a turd emoji on the board.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Stop playing scared.

Hopefully the WRs will run the right routes more often so he doesn't have to.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BoogingBarner said:

Many thought a top portal QB was coming here and that's how Hugh sold Coleman, Thompson, Cain and Simmons to come here as top WR's but we now see that's not true.

Do you have any proof of this statement or is it speculation on your part?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CR said:

And most of those receivers have left or are headed out the door. A top transfer QB would make what looks to be a much improved group that much better.

That's assuming that top shelf QB wouldn't be way behind on PT on the learning curve of our offense. Which likely would not be the case.

Surround thorne with the right peices and he will do fine. We ran Nix off thinking he was the problem rather than what he was surrounded by. Iys time for a mindset change

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@I_M4_AU it was an assumption by some AU fans.

Yes, I realize that.  By asking the question of BoogingBarner I was hoping he too would realize it was an assumption.  He stated it as fact.

Those receivers have stuck with their commitments or flipped for a reason and it is obvious it is not all about the QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you have any proof of this statement or is it speculation on your part?

Dude has no idea what freeze told those recruits. Just talking out of a part of the anatomy that was never designed for speech. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This shouldn't have come as a surprise 

It doesn't to me. People tend to fawn over the players they don't have or are not playing. I am susceptible to this. Some top QBs hit the portal. It isn't bad that one wants better QB play as that has been one of the problems for far too many years now. A good bit of my comments are said in a tongue in cheek manner. Almost all gifs posted are an attempt at levity. 

It is a possibility that Thorne improves. I had written off Jason Campbell before his senior senior season. I was so glad to be wrong. In the case of Auburn and we fans. We haven't seen improved QB play in far too many years. Line, WR, and play calling are all factors in that. I understand that Throne came in late last year and I'm willing to cut him some slack. I am not willing to take for granted he will get better. So I would like for Auburn to have choices.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CR said:

A top transfer QB would make what looks to be a much improved group that much better.

Probably so. But who is that slam dunk QB we could bring in that could master the system right away?

11 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

It doesn't to me. People tend to fawn over the players they don't have or are not playing. I am susceptible to this. Some top QBs hit the portal. It isn't bad that one wants better QB play as that has been one of the problems for far too many years now. A good bit of my comments are said in a tongue in cheek manner. Almost all gifs posted are an attempt at levity. 

It is a possibility that Thorne improves. I had written off Jason Campbell before his senior senior season. I was so glad to be wrong. In the case of Auburn and we fans. We haven't seen improved QB play in far too many years. Line, WR, and play calling are all factors in that. I understand that Throne came in late last year and I'm willing to cut him some slack. I am not willing to take for granted he will get better. So I would like for Auburn to have choices.

If you watched him play from game one to the end then you know he got better. So the trend is he will be even better next year if the trend continues.

At this point in our rebuild I want top-shelf lineman on both sides of the LOS.

Edited by creed

3 minutes ago, creed said:

If you watched him play from game one to the end then you know he got better. So the trend is he will be even better next year if the trend continues.

Against better teams, he disappeared. Again there were more issues than just him. But there were issue with his play(bad/no reads). All that I mentioned above. He is lacking command and I cannot give him the benefit of doubt to better it. I will need to see it with consistency for my view to change as did with Jason Campbell. Until then his ceiling is a game manager at best. That isn't bad. Trent Dilfer was a Super Bowl like that. As of right now, Thorne isn't consistently hitting the level of game manager in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Against better teams, he disappeared. Again there were more issues than just him. But there were issue with his play(bad/no reads). All that I mentioned above. He is lacking command and I cannot give him the benefit of doubt to better it. I will need to see it with consistency for my view to change as did with Jason Campbell. Until then his ceiling is a game manager at best. That isn't bad. Trent Dilfer was a Super Bowl like that. As of right now, Thorne isn't consistently hitting the level of game manager in my opinion.

My concern is that he want have the pieces around him like Trent Dilfer has. I do hope after spring they add a depth piece. Curious that Freeze all in on him and more so HG, but did not let him garner experience. I feel like that was a missed opportunity. We all knew RA was not returning if he didn’t start. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

My concern is that he want have the pieces around him like Trent Dilfer has. I do hope after spring they add a depth piece. Curious that Freeze all in on him and more so HG, but did not let him garner experience. I feel like that was a missed opportunity. We all knew RA was not returning if he didn’t start. 

Nobody outside of the complex can for sure say what Geriner is. What I take for granted is what my eyes see. Harsin wouldn't put him on the field with as bad of a QB situation they had and now Freeze wouldn't. For what it is worth, Carnell wouldn't either when he was in charge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I bet he is relieved that you will cut him some slack… Lol

• Haha 1