Florida State

eaglenest

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

There's an argument for everything you say, and I agree with most of it. Still doesn't change the fact that the SEC and bammers did a total reverse on the very same argument they (very loudly) used to oppose a 12 team playoff. 

Actually that was the ACC that vetoed it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Actually that was the ACC that vetoed it. 

The SEC eventually voted for the playoffs, but initially opposed it using the argument I stated. Uat used the same reasoning in the run-up to the vote. Can't blame the SEC commish. He was pretty much guaranteed one or two teams every year in the 4 man tournament. This last year of that system is a perfect example. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

3 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

The SEC eventually voted for the playoffs, but initially opposed it using the argument I stated. Uat used the same reasoning in the run-up to the vote. Can't blame the SEC commish. He was pretty much guaranteed one or two teams every year in the 4 man tournament. This last year of that system is a perfect example. 

Under the new system the SEC may get 3+ teams in it every year, especially with Texas and Oklahoma joining us next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Under the new system the SEC may get 3+ teams in it every year, especially with Texas and Oklahoma joining us next year.

I agree, and it may even be more, but that was not my point. My post was to point out the hypocrisy of the argument made by the bammers and the SEC in this particular situation. I have obviously failed to do so. It's no big deal either way.

• Like 1

A modest proposal:  FSU (and uga) should just head for the tunnel immediately after kickoff (*cough* could be COVID, gotta stay safe). No need to risk injury/careers by playing a superfluous 59 minutes when the outcome is 100% certain and the game means nothing anyway. Who is going to object to player safety? bspn can then run reruns of Wizards of Waverly Place for the balance of the air time - just as meaningful. Win/win! Teams got their extra practice, trip, and swag. An hour of pregame promotion and 6 seconds of gameplay. Players stay safe and the most important thing, endless conjecture and controversy on how the game would have played out (mind-you: the result was already known). That is what MATTERS in college football - buzz, conjecture, betting, merchandizing, and constant influencing to maximize them. The game (which we are trying to shrink to 22 minutes in lieu of more advertising) is a constant annoyance, especially if it is not a marquee matchup or if a dark horse has a chance of upsetting a blue blood. Embrace it. Hallelujah, where's the tylenol.

al.com

CFP chair explains why Alabama was selected for Playoff, Florida State was left out

Updated: Dec. 03, 2023, 4:46 p.m.|Published: Dec. 03, 2023, 11:51 a.m.
3–4 minutes

What was the difference maker for Alabama?

The Crimson Tide had a couple of arguments as to why it should be selected to the final four-team College Football Playoff: four top-25 wins and an SEC Championship over the then-No. 1 team in the country, to name a few.

But no matter what, in the final year of the four-team field, a precedent was set to be broken with either the sport’s toughest conference champion or an undefeated ACC title-winner Florida State team being left out. According to the committee, its job was to name the four best teams, not the most deserving.

The debate started shortly after Alabama was revealed as the final team on ESPN’s reveal show. Pundits immediately cited their principles of why the Tide and Seminoles had the better argument. As Kirk Herbstreit said when asked why one team was more worthy of a shot at a national title, you should ask Boo Corrigan, the selection committee chair.

“I think in looking at it, again, that was a decision with Alabama at 4. Florida State is a different team than they were through the first 11 weeks,” Corrigan said. " ... You can lose a running back, you can lose a receiver but when you lose a quarterback as dynamic as Jordan Travis, it changes their offense in its entirety and that was a really big factor.”

Travis suffered a season-ending leg injury on Nov. 18 against North Alabama. His backup, Tate Rodemaker beat Florida but was concussed, leading to true freshman Brock Glenn making a start in the ACC Championship win, a slog over Louisville. That sounded like a difference-maker for the committee.

“The questions we do ask from a coaching standpoint is who do you want to play and who do you not want to play,” Corrigan, who’s also North Carolina State’s athletic director, said when further pressed on the seeding.

That was the same rhetoric Saban used to justify Alabama’s case in 2022. In 2023, it worked.

“I really think our team earned the right to be here,” Saban said during his appearance on the telecast. “It’s a great competitive venue. It’s a great environment. Growing up in the Big Ten as a coach, you have a special appreciation for the Rose Bowl.

Nick Alvarez is a reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @nick_a_alvarez or email him at NAlvarez@al.com.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks,

11 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Does record mean something? Well, if you play a P5 schedule. Now that apparently doesn't mean anything either. bammers are waving the SEC banner as an excuse, but we all know if it weren't bama or UGA in question, FSU would have been in. We've seen ourselves get screwed in a similar scenario. 

If we're going to dictate playoff selection on "who we just know" is better, then the regular season, the power fiver, none of that means anything. 

Like it or not, that SEC banner carries a LOT of weight in college football.  The SEC is the strongest conference in the nation and has been for nearly 2 decades. 

JMHO, but I believe the SEC champion deserves a CFP spot.  It's galling knowing Bama just won their 30th SEC championship, but they did beat the reigning back-to-back national champs in their own backyard, who were on a 29-game winning streak and poised to make a 3-Peat.