SEC Shorts FSU gets hosed

aubiefifty

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Looks like FSU ain't going down without a fight. Getting the Fed Gov involved 

Hopefully the fed gov has something better to do with their time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

I somewhat agree. FSU should’ve been in. Texas should’ve been out.

Here let me fix that for you FSU should have been in and Bama should have been left out...the reality is the format and all the prior years is flawed eye candy test, they have no idea who the best 4 teams are, its just that simple.  I'm sorry but an undefeated FSU in a Power5 conference should not have been left out, bama should have been left out since they lost head to head with Texas, heck you could even make an argument that tosu could have been in contention...

Now saying that, if ACC and some of the other conferences hadn't delayed the new playoff format this wouldnt even have been an issue, so...they kind of did it to themselves by delaying the new format.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How big a part did ESPN play in this. Esp the "czar" him self Herbstreit 

Agree, I knew the fix was in before FSU even played all the talking heads had Bama in before FSU even played their game, SMDH. In the end I think and we should know this all about the benjamins and bama vs michigan is a bigger draw etc...I hate it since I really think you give FSU another month to practice with the backup qb and they are a good team, that defense is the real deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I somewhat agree. FSU should’ve been in. Texas should’ve been out.

Texas beat buma so how should Texas have been left out? Buma should be out! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Really I think it all comes down to this and all the other stuff is just smoke...

*ESPN owns the champion series football telecasts.

*ESPN just paid a small fortune for SEC game rights for the next decade.

*The committee knew, well before they locked themselves in negotiations, that at least one SEC team had to be in the championship series.

and there ya go...

• Like 2

and one more thought, one could argue that Michigan deserves to be left out, I mean they cheated but yet still get to go to the CFP...SMDH, you can't make this stuff up.

On 12/4/2023 at 1:06 PM, bishoptf said:

Here let me fix that for you FSU should have been in and Bama should have been left out...the reality is the format and all the prior years is flawed eye candy test, they have no idea who the best 4 teams are, its just that simple.  I'm sorry but an undefeated FSU in a Power5 conference should not have been left out, bama should have been left out since they lost head to head with Texas, heck you could even make an argument that tosu could have been in contention...

Now saying that, if ACC and some of the other conferences hadn't delayed the new playoff format this wouldnt even have been an issue, so...they kind of did it to themselves by delaying the new format.

I think it should’ve been FSU and Bama. Bama beat #6, #11, #13, and #21. Their loss was to someone in the top 10.

Texas beat Bama, #20, and #25, and their loss was to someone outside the top 10.

Early season losses should also count less anyway since there’s no preseason in college ball. Teams, especially those with new coordinators, are still figuring things out. Looking at the Texas-Bama game, that was not the team that beat UGA on Saturday. They were still trying to figure out who they were going to be on offense without Bryce Young. 

As for FSU… would this even be a discussion if it was Clemson, who had been more recently atop football? The only reason an undefeated power 5 conference champ should be out is if there are 4 others in the same boat and they happen to be the worst.

Besides, I have a real issue with the rationale the committee gave. They said that FSU would’ve been in if they hadn’t lost their starting QB. That means they made their decision on personal opinion about what they think FSU will look like in the playoff without him rather than performance on the field. Seriously? Might as well just cancel the playoff and let the committee pick a champion if how good the committee “thinks” you are decided who was in.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I agree with FSU being left out due to unavailability of their game-changing QB.  The Committee's marching orders include that as a major factor of consideration.  However, I don't discount that the business side of this had an impact.  In my own case, and I'm sure advertisers feared this in general, there's no way I would plan an evening around watching FSU in the CFP this year.

But Herbstreit seemed to go out of his way to defend the Committee's decision, like he was "going to bat" for them.

They made the right decision, even if their motives were partially misguided.  In my opinion.

UGA got screwed more than FSU got screwed.

You know it was the wrong decision when ESPN puts out a headline article defending the committee and pushing some sob story crap about how it was so hard on them to leave out Florida State and how they deliberated until 2 in the morning.

If they deliberated until 2 in the morning it was to talk themselves in to this being the right call. But congratulations, you put the final nail in the ACC coffin to make the worst possible decision. 

The committee went against EVERYTHING we've seen over 9 years. We have seen Ohio State win a title after Braxton Miller AND J.T Barrett got hurt. They were heavy underdogs. Cardale Jones played 1 game before the playoffs. We've seen the most deserving team get in over better teams when Cincinnati got the well deserved nod in 2021 despite the whole nation knowing they weren't going to beat Bama. 

Florida State absolutely should not back down on trashing the decision VERY publicly. They just got screwed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I think it should’ve been FSU and Bama. Bama beat #6, #11, #13, and #21. Their loss was to someone in the top 10.

Texas beat Bama, #20, and #25, and their loss was to someone outside the top 10.

Early season losses should also count less anyway since there’s no preseason in college ball. Teams, especially those with new coordinators, are still figuring things out. Looking at the Texas-Bama game, that was not the team that beat UGA on Saturday. They were still trying to figure out who they were going to be on offense without Bryce Young. 

As for FSU… would this even be a discussion if it was Clemson, who had been more recently atop football? The only reason an undefeated power 5 conference champ should be out is if there are 4 others in the same boat and they happen to be the worst.

Besides, I have a real issue with the rationale the committee gave. They said that FSU would’ve been in if they hadn’t lost their starting QB. That means they made their decision on personal opinion about what they think FSU will look like in the playoff without him rather than performance on the field. Seriously? Might as well just cancel the playoff and let the committee pick a champion of how good the committee “thinks” you are decided who was in.

Again IMHO they basically became prognosticators when they said that was not what it was about. The whole issue with the backup qb thing is lame, they were putting bama in even before FSU had even played. FSU would have had the whole month to practice with the backup quarterback so to say that bama is better is laughable, they barely beat us and arkansas...but ya know they are better, lmao. IMHO the SEC was not that strong this year, in face ACC had a better record against the SEC. The have a dang good defense so IMHO this was all about ESPN and the benjamins,  they should have just said it was a business decision and left at that...power 5 going undefeated and got left out, boo hoo SEC wasn't going to have anyone going, espn having a melt down.

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just think this precident needs to be extended to MLB. Then the Braves would have been spared the humiliation of having the best record in baseball and not advancing. Their pitching staff wasn’t as healthy as they were before September. The commissioner should have denied them a spot. 🙄

Edited by gr82be
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I just think this precident needs to be extended to MLB. Then the Braves would have been spared the humiliation of having the best record in baseball and not advancing. Their pitching staff wasn’t as healthy as they were before September. The commissioner should have denied them a spot. 🙄

Extend it to the NFL and see how stupid it sounds. The Chiefs win the AFC championship game, but Mahomes got hurt before half and the defense held on. But they're not the same team without Mahomes so the Bills get to move on by default. Sorry, try again next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Extend it to the NFL and see how stupid it sounds. The Chiefs win the AFC championship game, but Mahomes got hurt before half and the defense held on. But they're not the same team without Mahomes so the Bills get to move on by default. Sorry, try again next year.

Exactly!! Here is a link to Mike Greenberg saying the exact same thing on Get Up.

https://www.facebook.com/GetUpESPN/posts/902247291265228/

It's unbelievable hearing crying on an Auburn board for an undefeated team with the #55 schedule strength not getting in the top 4. That's undefeated Western Michigan, UCF and Utah crybaby territory. 2004 Auburn went undefeated beating FIVE (5) top 10 teams then crushed our SEC title game opponent and didnt get a chance to play for the natl title. Cry me a river, criminoles. Research 1969 penn state, 1966 bama, etc etc etc. Been happening to undefeated top tier teams for over 150 years.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

It's unbelievable hearing crying on an Auburn board for an undefeated team with the #55 schedule strength not getting in the top 4. That's undefeated Western Michigan, UCF and Utah crybaby territory. 2004 Auburn went undefeated beating FIVE (5) top 10 teams then crushed our SEC title game opponent and didnt get a chance to play for the natl title. Cry me a river, criminoles. Research 1969 penn state, 1966 bama, etc etc etc. Been happening to undefeated top tier teams for over 150 years.

And 2004 was crap as well, but to a bigger degree. 2 things can be wrong at once.

FSU has forgotten how they protected their star player back in 2013 from all the problems he got into when he should have been dismissed from the team. They even got the State AG involved.  

ESPN is ran by bammers. It’s a crock to keep selling this feces about bammer being better than any of the teams ahead of them a week ago outside of thUGA and Oregon. It’s a brothel and ESPN is the Pimp. 

• Like 2