2024 Cal WR (Formerly QB) Sam Jackson transfers to AU!

aubigblue

10 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I have to say. For someone who lights it up in high school  recruiting.  Freeze has made some puzzling decisions in regards to the portal this year.  Has this cat played WR at any point in college?

Jackson will be a part-time bubble screen WR and part-time Wildcat QB. No doubt.

* pops double bubble *

Edited by Viper

Seems like he could help in the communication between WR and QB with the new young guys coming in.  It's an odd switch for us but we'll see how it plays out. 

Edited by Randman5000

The word has been that we wanted another WR receiver from the portal. Now we have one. I wouldn't over think this transfer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The word has been that we wanted another WR receiver from the portal. Now we have one. I wouldn't over think this transfer.

In fairness to the skeptics it’s a QB transferring in as a receiver. I guess we will see 🤷

6 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

In fairness to the skeptics it’s a QB transferring in as a receiver. I guess we will see 🤷

Or, is it WR moved to QB, moved back to WR. 😁

• Like 1

This is an interesting roster addition.  I've got no problems with it.  However, I'm not going to rest easy until we bring in a couple of offensive linemen and a DT or two.  The roster is much more solid than the mess Freeze inherited, but we still have a few holes that need to be plugged.  I have a lot of faith that Freeze is working on it, and we''ll be happy with the final results, but the portal has been a little slow so far this year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I may be eating crow in record time. This kid has some wheels. Bear in mind this highlight reel is when he was a sophomore in high school.

So basically about every 2nd or 3rd catch the kid made was highlight material. He caught anything in his vicinity, under- and overthrows, has wheels, and can juke. I think he'll work out jes fine.....

• Like 6

My take … we get a dynamic athlete and leader in the WR room.

he can also serve as qb3 if necessary so we don’t have to pull the redshirt from walker white if that became an issue.

i think it’s a great add.  The other transfer WR is also the leader type (so it appears).  The type of kids you’d like mentoring this class of freshman WR newcomers 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Good work in connecting the dots, it still is confusing to me on why we give a spot on the roster up when the spring portal could have a proven receiver in it.

While I do not disagree, most of last year’s proven portal receivers didn’t see the field. I think this kid is just extremely athletic and has great hands.  

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

My take … we get a dynamic athlete and leader in the WR room.

he can also serve as qb3 if necessary so we don’t have to pull the redshirt from walker white if that became an issue.

i think it’s a great add.  The other transfer WR is also the leader type (so it appears).  The type of kids you’d like mentoring this class of freshman WR newcomers 

My take.......Freeze and Marcus Davis have a pretty good idea of what/who they want and need.  Until they prove otherwise I'll not second guess them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

Jackson will be a part-time bubble screen WR and part-time Wildcat QB. No doubt.

* pops double bubble *

Go watch his tape from high school when he was playing receiver. He catches the ball well down the field as well. Could be a great big play threat. Plus the addition of him being able to throw… This is a good pick up, especially with the receiver room as young as it is. We get depth, athleticism, and an opportunity for some good trick plays. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tinman1 said:

My take.......Freeze and Marcus Davis have a pretty good idea of what/who they want and need.  Until they prove otherwise I'll not second guess them.

What did last years WR transfers prove?? 

19 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

If this guy ever asks for a bite of your cheeseburger and a drink of Sprite to wash it down, you know you about to get shot.

If this guy asks you to get his wallet, you know the one that says Bad Mother F'er on it, you know you about to get shot.

If this guy starts screaming and quoting scriptures to you, you know you about to get shot.

Better hope he’s in a transition period.

On3 just ran a story on behind the scenes. As a back story, Payton and Jackson have stayed in touch with each other on a regular basis since high school. Jackson told Payton earlier this week that he wanted a change and was going to enter the portal as a WR. Payton immediately took the info to Freeze and Marcus Davis, who proceeded to get his high school WR film and was convinced to make him an offer. The whole deal took place in roughly one day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It doesn't take a mystic to see this part time bubble WR/part time wildcat QB role was probably offered to Robbie first. It's in Montgomery's repertoire, gotta have somebody to run it.

Edited by aucanucktiger

14 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

What did last years WR transfers prove?? 

That Freeze inherited a sh*t show in most positions, especially WR.  He also was grasping at straws in the 3 months he was here before trying to recruit the portal.  He basically having to totally rebuild the entire Auburn football team.

It's just me but I'm not going to bitch about anyone he brings in at this time.  Maybe after year 2 it will be different for me, but right now I'm about as happy as I can be with what I'm seeing in the recruiting front.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tinman1 said:

That Freeze inherited a sh*t show in most positions, especially WR.  He also was grasping at straws in the 3 months he was here before trying to recruit the portal.  He basically having to totally rebuild the entire Auburn football team.

It's just me but I'm not going to bitch about anyone he brings in at this time.  Maybe after year 2 it will be different for me, but right now I'm about as happy as I can be with what I'm seeing in the recruiting front.

Don't you know that you can't use facts & logic on this forum?

Yes and odd choice, but he probably realized if he wants to get to the next level, it will come at WR and not QB, and if he has chemistry with Thorne, that could be good.

Often high schools are forced to put their best athlete at QB, rather than the place best suited for them. C.J. Uzomah played QB in high school.

The Hudl clips suggests he has a catch radius, something that seems to have been missing from many AU receivers for many years.

12 hours ago, SphyNxXx said:

On3 just ran a story on behind the scenes. As a back story, Payton and Jackson have stayed in touch with each other on a regular basis since high school. Jackson told Payton earlier this week that he wanted a change and was going to enter the portal as a WR. Payton immediately took the info to Freeze and Marcus Davis, who proceeded to get his high school WR film and was convinced to make him an offer. The whole deal took place in roughly one day.

I love this story.

17 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Go watch his tape from high school when he was playing receiver. He catches the ball well down the field as well. Could be a great big play threat. Plus the addition of him being able to throw… This is a good pick up, especially with the receiver room as young as it is. We get depth, athleticism, and an opportunity for some good trick plays. 

4ee8aa036bb3f7576c00000b?width=750&forma