Will we see more staff changes?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Not the point. It’s the fact that it shows his hand. He apparently doesn’t want to recruit and definitely prioritizing the NFL.only prioritizing NFL at DC. He can stay (apparently as LB coach) where he is at. It’s true if he comes and does well might move back to NFzl if given opportunity but all OC/DC ‘s would.

53 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:
56 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not the point. It’s the fact that it shows his hand. He apparently doesn’t want to recruit and definitely prioritizing the NFL.only prioritizing NFL at DC. He can stay (apparently as LB coach) where he is at. It’s true if he comes and does well might move back to NFzl if given opportunity but all OC/DC ‘s would.

Expand  

No you have no clue if all OCs or DCs would. But there is conjuncture that Kiffin would and that’s problematic IMO. Along with the assumption that he really doesn’t want to recruit . To me he is not worth it if that is the case. There are other qualified DC who have done it this level in the past and very passionate about the college game. The whole mantra here is stability. 

• Like 1

If you can’t get Durkin then go find get the best G5 DC, highly touted position coach at a top 10 defense, or a defensive minded successful FCS coach. I want someone who wants to prove themselves over the course of a few seasons and jump to a HC job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Kiffin has never been an NFL DC after a long time at that side (his whole career outside of 1st), plus has many inside connections through his father. NFL DC not a likely scenario.

That would make it still a bad pick up. Like I said above, if he turns out to be good, he’ll dart to the NFL. If not, … well he’s a bust as a DC.

Edited by ScotsAU

2 hours ago, DAG said:

No you have no clue if all OCs or DCs would. But there is conjuncture that Kiffin would and that’s problematic IMO. Along with the assumption that he really doesn’t want to recruit . To me he is not worth it if that is the case. There are other qualified DC who have done it this level in the past and very passionate about the college game. The whole mantra here is stability. 

Ha, your correct. What OC/DC in college would want to go to NFL make more money and not have to recruit?? Crazy idea, I know. I’m thinking (my point) is anybody we hire is most likely to take an equivalent NFL job. I have tried to remember one that has turned down an offer to go to NFL but there may be a few that would rather work with young people to impact lives.

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Kiffin has never been an NFL DC after a long time at that side (his whole career outside of 1st), plus has many inside connections through his father. NFL DC not a likely scenario.

It doesn’t look like Kiffin wants to get into the rat race of college coaching and prefers the NFL no matter what.  I mean he can stay where he’s at if he’s satisfied there.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

It doesn’t look like Kiffin wants to get into the rat race of college coaching and prefers the NFL no matter what.  I mean he can stay where he’s at if he’s satisfied there.

That could definitely be true. I know he left his brother to go immediately back to NFL. But his team took him right back so they definitely did want him back.

Edited by Hank2020

Just now, Hank2020 said:

That could definitely be true. I know he left his brother to go immediately back to NFL.

Yeh, I’m not sure why Freeze is seemingly in a holding pattern relative to Kiffin?  But I’m sure CHF has a great plan for the future.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Ha, your correct. What OC/DC in college would want to go to NFL make more money and not have to recruit?? Crazy idea, I know. I’m thinking (my point) is anybody we hire is most likely to take an equivalent NFL job. I have tried to remember one that has turned down an offer to go to NFL but there may be a few that would rather work with young people to impact lives.

Guys who like college and like recruiting? Crazy idea I know. What is more bizarre to me is someone coming to the college ranks who does not want to recruit. 

here you go pal:

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel/college-football-preview-for-love-of-citadel-drayton-turned-down-nfl-job/article_eaec1b9e-45de-11ee-945a-4fea106ef624.html

Surprisingly not every individual is driven by money 

Edited by DAG

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Definitely don’t want Durkin either. Surely these aren’t are only two candidates. No clue why we would want to wait on Kiffin to see if he can get an NFL job (if true). That is ridiculous. He will bounce as soon as one becomes available and show interest. 

I'm surprised Arnett hasn't landed a job. Maybe we wants a break. But I'd take him over Kiffin or Durkin. We have the recruiters. Give me the X's and O's guy. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm surprised Arnett hasn't landed a job. Maybe we wants a break. But I'd take him over Kiffin or Durkin. We have the recruiters. Give me the X's and O's guy. 

Besides the previous experience with Freeze I don’t see what the big hoorah is with Kiffin. I don’t think he has ever ran a defense before in his coaching career. I am also surprised Arnett wasn’t higher on the ranks but more surprised that freeze hadn’t made tabs with his previous DC at Liberty. 

Edited by DAG
Correction: one year at Florida Atlantic
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Besides the previous experience with Freeze I don’t see what the big hoorah is with Kiffin. I don’t think he has ever ran a defense before in his coaching career. I am also surprised Arnett wasn’t higher on the ranks but more surprised that freeze hadn’t made tabs with his previous DC at Liberty. 

I'm not sure Kiffin is worth the wait at this point, especially if his heart is not in recruiting. I'd still take him over Durkin though. 

The former Liberty DC does seem like a smart choice. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

It’s all part of the plan!

"He has a plan and is working it perfectly."

Drumming-and-Chanting-in-unison.gif

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, cbo said:

"He has a plan and is working it perfectly."

Drumming-and-Chanting-in-unison.gif

At this point, I am pretty the following is the plan. 

image.jpeg.0e6ba746ffbd9138bb98cd5f64f4b12d.jpeg

• Haha 2

I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned and I just missed it but I wonder why Coach Freeze feels like we need co-DC's? 

As of right now, all of our position groups have their coach. D-Line is Jeremy Garrett, linebackers is Josh Aldridge, safeties and co-DC is Charles Kelly and cornerbacks is Crime Dog. 

I know Charles Kelly is co-DC as well as safeties coach. Will the other co-DC, whomever it will be, also be a position coach as well? If so, then what position will they coach since all of our defensive position groups already have their coach? 

It seems like Freeze could've named Charles Kelly the full DC and safeties coach kinda how he has Derrike Nix as OC and RB coach. WDE

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned and I just missed it but I wonder why Coach Freeze feels like we need co-DC's? 

As of right now, all of our position groups have their coach. D-Line is Jeremy Garrett, linebackers is Josh Aldridge, safeties and co-DC is Charles Kelly and cornerbacks is Crime Dog. 

I know Charles Kelly is co-DC as well as safeties coach. Will the other co-DC, whomever it will be, also be a position coach as well? If so, then what position will they coach since all of our defensive position groups already have their coach? 

It seems like Freeze could've named Charles Kelly the full DC and safeties coach kinda how he has Derrike Nix as OC and RB coach. WDE

He is NOT looking for a "co-DC". He is looking for a full DC. 

Charles Kelly has a "Co" tag as a title, he is not expected to be the actual playcaller. No different than when Kodi Burns was "Co-OC" here. Do you think Kodi Burns was doing any playcalling?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Guys who like college and like recruiting? Crazy idea I know. What is more bizarre to me is someone coming to the college ranks who does not want to recruit. 

here you go pal:

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel/college-football-preview-for-love-of-citadel-drayton-turned-down-nfl-job/article_eaec1b9e-45de-11ee-945a-4fea106ef624.html

Surprisingly not every individual is driven by money 

Gotcha. I knew it happens sometimes but not too often. Good find, he turned down a ST’s coaching position to stay in a head coaching position. But he still probably turned down a raise. I don’t think it’s just the money either, NFL is highest level of a job that most of them love and aspire to be the best at. I don’t think it’s always money. Seems to imply better for time spent with family. Not a negative in my mind to want to stay or go to NFL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metafour said:

Charles Kelly has a "Co" tag as a title, he is not expected to be the actual playcaller. No different than when Kodi Burns was "Co-OC" here. Do you think Kodi Burns was doing any playcalling?

Agreed

Kelley is on staff for one reason ...

to recruit.. that’s pretty much why he was hired.

13 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

There’s a few plausible reasons. Everyone focuses on play calling. But coordinators do more than that. The head coach will usually have a hand in everything at least a little bit. But the coordinators are the main overseers for their side of the ball. They break down film of opponents to find weaknesses, break down our game film to look for things that need to be drilled, plan and run their side of the ball at practices, and then there’s all the duties that come with finding and recruiting prospects. 

When you see “co coordinator,” there’s usually a main coordinator that’s in charge. But they are getting assistance with one or more of these duties. For example, in the past, we’ve had coaches carry the title “co-OC/run game coordinator.” That person was given some duties to assist with the development of our play calling plan for plays where the OC wants to run the ball. They do the scouting of the opponent, and figure out what kinds of run plays are most likely to work, then draw up a list based on down and distance for what they think the OC should run. 

If I had to guess, Charles Kelly has been brought in mostly to handle the personnel side of the defense. If the rumors are true and Chris Kiffin is the main candidate, he doesn’t love recruiting. But Kelly a dynamite recruiter, and has a good eye for talent. If that’s the case, the main DC will likely focus most of his attention on game prep and scouting opponents, and will leave duties like scouting prospects, recruiting defensive players, etc. more to Kelly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, metafour said:

Kodi was I think the run game coordinator. That means he probably didn’t call plays in the game. But he probably scouted opponents and set up the play call sheet for when the OC/Gus wanted to call a run play. 

13 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Need someone to call defense, I believe. Seems to not be Kelly’s forte.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

There’s a few plausible reasons. Everyone focuses on play calling. But coordinators do more than that. The head coach will usually have a hand in everything at least a little bit. But the coordinators are the main overseers for their side of the ball. They break down film of opponents to find weaknesses, break down our game film to look for things that need to be drilled, plan and run their side of the ball at practices, and then there’s all the duties that come with finding and recruiting prospects. 

When you see “co coordinator,” there’s usually a main coordinator that’s in charge. But they are getting assistance with one or more of these duties. For example, in the past, we’ve had coaches carry the title “co-OC/run game coordinator.” That person was given some duties to assist with the development of our play calling plan for plays where the OC wants to run the ball. They do the scouting of the opponent, and figure out what kinds of run plays are most likely to work, then draw up a list based on down and distance for what they think the OC should run. 

If I had to guess, Charles Kelly has been brought in mostly to handle the personnel side of the defense. If the rumors are true and Chris Kiffin is the main candidate, he doesn’t love recruiting. But Kelly a dynamite recruiter, and has a good eye for talent. If that’s the case, the main DC will likely focus most of his attention on game prep and scouting opponents, and will leave duties like scouting prospects, recruiting defensive players, etc. more to Kelly. 

From what I understand (probably not much) analysts breakdown future opponents and devise gameplans which then are routed to Coordinators, before being shared with HC. Probably in actuality it depends on who you got in what role thst determines this.

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Need someone to call defense, I believe. Seems to not be Kelly’s forte.

That makes sense. Thank you.