Will we see more staff changes?

7 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

So… we going to hire a DC or naw?

Hopefully the CO-DC knew who his partner in crime was prior to hire 

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

I hear it’s going to be a game-time decision.

Are you saying our new DC is “day to day?”

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

Are you saying our new DC is “day to day?”

I heard he’s had a really good week of practice. Really been flyin around out there. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

I heard he’s had a really good week of practice. Really been flyin around out there. 

Flyin from where? Do you have tail number we are tracking?🧐🤪

• Haha 1

If I had to theorize, us and Kiffin are waiting to see if an NFL job comes open. Of course, that might mean we have to hire someone else next year. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AUwent

It’s very odd that we’re a week out from Kiffin’s season ending, and we’re weeks past the end of the CFB season. Surely we have to have someone lined up by now.  Is there any chance the delay is because it’s someone unexpected that’s coaching with one of the final 4 NFL playoff teams? 

Bet we are waiting on Mike McDonald, the DC of the Ravens. 😁

• Love 1

JHead and Jay G. Tate were speaking about the DC opening on the MBB post Miss. State drain. They both expect the decision to be made early to middle of this upcoming week. Their thoughts are that the non-douchebag Kiffen(my phrasing not theirs) is waiting to see if he can get a DC job in the NFL. They stated that Missouri hired someone(Corey Batoon from USA) so Durkin has to wait on Auburn to make a decision.

So two things are evident to me from their conversation. One is that Chris Kiffen is the preferred choice. Second is that Auburn will always need to be concerned in the off-seasons because Chris Kiffen prefers a non-recruiting DC job. Sort of a Tracy Rocker situation.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Their thoughts are that the non-douchebag Kiffen(my phrasing not theirs) is waiting to see if he can get a DC job in the NFL.

I don’t like that at all, if true. So he’ll settle for AU if he cannot get what he really wants. 

56 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

JHead and Jay G. Tate were speaking about the DC opening on the MBB post Miss. State drain. They both expect the decision to be made early to middle of this upcoming week. Their thoughts are that the non-douchebag Kiffen(my phrasing not theirs) is waiting to see if he can get a DC job in the NFL. They stated that Missouri hired someone(Corey Batoon from USA) so Durkin has to wait on Auburn to make a decision.

So two things are evident to me from their conversation. One is that Chris Kiffen is the preferred choice. Second is that Auburn will always need to be concerned in the off-seasons because Chris Kiffen prefers a non-recruiting DC job. Sort of a Tracy Rocker situation.

Do not like that. That should be a major red flag but what do I know ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I’m with the other folks on here. If he wants an NFL DC job, that means 1-2 successful years at AU and he’ll dart back to the NFL. He either is unsuccessful at Auburn and gets fired or he is successful and bails. That’s not good for program stability to be changing coordinators that fast. I don’t love the idea of bringing Durkin on given his past. But I’d rather have the stability of a Durkin if this is true.

Edited by ScotsAU

I’m at the point where I wish we’d just distance ourselves from anyone named Kiffin going forward. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I don’t love the idea of bringing Durkin on given his past. But I’d rather have the stability of a Durkin if this is true.

Durkin hasn't been at any stop more than two years for most of his career. I don't see him as a stability hire, either. 

Waiting on Kiffen is the only thing that makes sense. I haven't seen any homerrun hires mentioned in this search, so I'm hoping we just get someone in for the spring and get this over with. 

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

It’s very odd that we’re a week out from Kiffin’s season ending, and we’re weeks past the end of the CFB season. Surely we have to have someone lined up by now.  Is there any chance the delay is because it’s someone unexpected that’s coaching with one of the final 4 NFL playoff teams? 

I think waiting on all NFL DC’s chosen.

35 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t like that at all, if true. So he’ll settle for AU if he cannot get what he really wants. 

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do not like that. That should be a major red flag but what do I know ?

Earlier in the recording, Jay G. Tate stated there are some within Auburn that do not want Durkin due to the player death issue. 

Video link: MBB post Miss State Drain.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Earlier in the recording, Jay G. Tate stated there are some within Auburn that do not want Durkin due to the player death issue. 

Video link: MBB post Miss State Drain.

The below is from AI so things can and will be a little weird:

48:09
Redmond uh that uh freeze hired away from LSU to be the general manager a lot of people who in the industry who know a
48:16
lot about these Personnel folks think this was a heist think this was a major major get for Auburn kind of explain to
48:21
us jhead why this is such a big deal well first and foremost I want to
48:27
agree with the people in the industry that set that about well Redmond I think he's a rising star somebody that uh has
48:32
been a player director of player Personnel at Middle Tennessee state director of recruiting at Kansas and
48:38
then dtp at LSU but cut his teeth underneath Austin Thomas who's kind of the guy in the player Personnel world
48:45
right now that people are starting to model themselves after but will redond is a guy he's a name I heard about two
48:51
weeks ago did some research and just the evolution of the player Personnel World
48:57
specifically as it pertains to roster management is just vital right now you used to have just basically what we
49:03
considered high school andj recruiting as of about five years ago well that's all changed with the portal and not only
49:10
do you have the portal aspect you have to considered but it's your own player retention and then you factor in nil the
49:15
ability to need to have somebody that can network with collectives and so that everybody's on the same page as far as what players need to be paid it's just
49:23
it's too much for one person and Hugh free to man so why not bring in somebody that can take some of the things off
49:28
your plate you can concentrate on being the plate caller now I'm not saying he was going to get away from recruiting that's not going to happen but he
49:34
absolutely needs somebody to take the day-to-day things off his plate to be able to manage the board a little bit better to manage some of the team in and
49:41
outs better um and it's an operation that's going to continue to grow and Alburn is not going to be the first or the last that you're going to see hire a
49:48
general manager that's a term that's going to start to pop up more and more Auburn's just on The Cutting Edge of
49:53
this and one of the first teams to do it yeah he's going to be huge as far as just coordinating scouting and
50:00
understanding exactly what this team needs right you kind of the head coach gives you an idea of what he wants and then you go find right sure and then
50:07
you're also doing future Scout for what you're going to try to have two three four years down the road now that's extremely hard to do in today's game
50:13
because in the day and age of the portal what you used to could Bank on from player retention you can't anymore so
50:20
it's a very difficult landscape to be in I think he's a young very a I mean
50:26
ambitious guy that's really going to put his best foot forward in this position he's got he's got a great mindset great
50:32
temperament for it good communic good communication skills and contacts they're going to help him as far as
50:38
player acquisition goes but again uh you know the business part of this is what's
50:45
made it essential having the ability to know I mean let's let's be honest here nil is what I would call player
50:53
compensation now it's not what ni was intended to be and so you have to be mindful of how much money you have on
50:59
hand who can be slotted to what what you're going to pay at certain positions and I'm not saying that he's going to do all of that obviously as the rules know
51:07
OTB handles that but um I would say that there's some input from Auburn to OTV as
51:13
far as who's making what as far as that's concerned that's not an official statement from OTV that's just my two
51:19
let's put it like that and I guess still work with Ethan uh who's been doing a lot of recruiting like he's kind of like
51:25
the director or deao director of recruiting so those two will kind of work together I reckon yeah sure well
51:31
you have to have evaluators then you have what I considered connectors and Eaton's more of a connector where you know I mean they're actually reaching
51:37
out and being the tangible part of the recruiting aspect of it because everything falls underneath the umbrella of talent acquisition and then you have
51:44
evaluation and then you have actual recruiting which is sales pitch uh Hospitality all that that's where Ethan
51:50
Johnson kind of comes into play and then you're going to have the evaluation side and this young man's going to oversee
51:55
everything yeah so it's it's a huge piece it's something that if Hugh was
52:01
going to get back into calling plays and being more involved in the offensive side of the ball he needed somebody that he could trust I see this kind of in a
52:08
way I mean it's a more sophisticated version but when Patrick CES came in to help Gus kind of retool his front office
52:15
you know when he was making that transition coming over from Arkansas State I believe he had Casey Woods as his DPP and that was not a position in
52:21
case he really wanted or ever wanted to be in but he did it uh but it needed to be vastly overhauled and Patrick came in
52:28
and kind of did that for them and really kind of set that office up for success I see Will redond being able to do the
52:34
same thing and working in combination with AK Ean Johnson nice yeah suus did a hell of a job here went on to Georgia
52:40
Tech in North Carolina now so correct yeah he's he was a really really good pickup uh T Reed ends up going to UCF
52:47
yesterday gonna be coaching quarterbacks for the uh the knights uh big step for him jhead I mean he needs to get on the
52:53
field somewhere and now he gets his chance massive step and look I love Trevon you
52:59
know I mean I love what he's done for Auburn and he's had kind of an unconventional path to getting onto the field you know he hasn't never he's
53:05
never cut his teeth as a ga never been necessarily an analyst he's kind of been featured in a recruiting role and a
53:11
Player Development role behind the scenes for Al but his ambition was always to move on to the field at some
53:18
point and Gus is giving him that opportunity so tip my hat to Gus for taking a shot on on Travon somebody that
53:24
I know has a lot of affection for uh and just really huge for Travon in his
53:30
career development and what he's trying to become he wasn't going to get that opportunity here at Auburn West
53:36
McGriff uh obviously Kelly are here and you're talking
53:41
about 10e guys in the SEC with you know 20 plus years of coaching experience
53:46
tron's not there just yet now he was an invaluable part of the the recruiting piece and he's going to have to replace
53:53
that but just you know hat tip to Travon for going after what he wanted had TI to
53:58
gz for giving him that opportunity and I know that he was proud of Travon and and this would be a situation they'll have
54:04
to replace it but it's it's replaceable for what he's doing but I'm really proud of of T Reed in this step he's taken in
54:09
his career yeah you're right uncon unconventional trip to where he's at uh defensive coordinator search I'm a
54:16
little bit baffled by this one I think he's in a holding pattern Jay had you and I have texted about this pretty much all week I think he's in a holding
54:22
pattern with Chris kein to see what he wants to do I think Chris K's the guy that that freeze would like to have be the defensive coordinator but I think
54:29
he's willing to give him a little bit more time I I do think that freeze wants to get something picked uh this this
54:35
coming week though I would agree with that and that kind of messes up I think I had said that I would start to lower
54:41
the percentage on kiing if the decision didn't come by Friday uh I no longer feel that way I think they've got a
54:47
little bit into next week as far as that's concerned and I do believe you're right after I saw you post that and you
54:52
and I texted I kind of checked back and that was the feedback I got as well is that hey he's just you know he's being
54:58
very thorough about this he's letting you know he's going to let Chris kind of make a decision about what he wants to
55:04
do so he's very certain about what he does um if he chooses you know to accept the
55:09
Auburn and you've got a nice I think we both agree that it's Chris kein and DJ
55:15
Durkin at the top of the board so I don't think that either decision is a bad one um and realistically if Chris
55:23
giin is who he wants then he should wait for a little bit longer now they got to make a decision here
55:28
next week because you're getting about a month out from spring training and so you'll need around 30 days or so to kind
55:34
of put the scheme together make sure you're teaching it to the assistant coaches so they can teach it to the players figure out an install period
55:40
Scout the roster all that other stuff that can be accomplished in 30 days and it's really not at this point it's not
55:47
essential for recruiting you're so early in the 2025 recruiting class and you're already so far ahead of where you've
55:53
been that you don't don't necessarily have to have a you know I mean a defensive coordinator from a recruiting
55:58
perspective so it's all about making sure that you get somebody there for spring training that they have adequate time to put their system in place teach
56:05
it to the other coaches make sure that everything's starting to filter down to the players that you have a good feel for the roster As you move into spring
56:12
or as good a feel as you can have for having never coached these players before agre on that but my expect yeah my expectation would be that you have a
56:19
defensive coord coordinator named sometime in the early part of next week that's kind of my expectation now on on
56:26
on resetting things but I think you and I both heard like he was done with interviews around Tuesday Wednesday is
56:33
and so now the decision's been made and it's just you know allowing things to kind of play themselves out somewhat uh

Definitely don’t want Durkin either. Surely these aren’t are only two candidates. No clue why we would want to wait on Kiffin to see if he can get an NFL job (if true). That is ridiculous. He will bounce as soon as one becomes available and show interest. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Definitely don’t want Durkin either. Surely these aren’t are only two candidates. No clue why we would want to wait on Kiffin to see if he can get an NFL job (if true). That is ridiculous. He will bounce as soon as one becomes available and show interest. 

Kiffin has never been an NFL DC after a long time at that side (his whole career outside of 1st), plus has many inside connections through his father. NFL DC not a likely scenario.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I haven't seen any homerrun hires mentioned in this search,

I’m not sure there is such a thing anymore. College QBs are now routinely throwing for 4 and 5 thousand yards with 40 and 50 TDs and completing over 70% of their passes. (AU QBs being the obvious exception 😅)Have to hope you get a DC to slow it down at best. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Kiffin has never been an NFL DC after a long time at that side (his whole career outside of 1st), plus has many inside connections through his father. NFL DC not a likely scenario.

Not the point. It’s the fact that it shows his hand. He apparently doesn’t want to recruit and definitely prioritizing the NFL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Not the point. It’s the fact that it shows his hand. He apparently doesn’t want to recruit and definitely prioritizing the NFL.

morgan-freeman-hes-right-you-know.gif

• Haha 1