Will we see more staff changes?

7 hours ago, metafour said:

He is NOT looking for a "co-DC". He is looking for a full DC. 

Charles Kelly has a "Co" tag as a title, he is not expected to be the actual playcaller. No different than when Kodi Burns was "Co-OC" here. Do you think Kodi Burns was doing any playcalling?

The "co" was throwing me off. Thanks 

So Charles Kelley for DC. Everyone ready? It would be right there on brand. I could see it. 

8 hours ago, metafour said:

Charles Kelly has a "Co" tag as a title, he is not expected to be the actual playcaller. No different than when Kodi Burns was "Co-OC" here. Do you think Kodi Burns was doing any playcalling?

So are you saying the Kelly to DC rumors are false? I’m confused.

Whoever the DC is will be, is looking at a position staff that is already in place. I mean every position is spoken for except the coordinator/play caller…maybe why Freeze is seeking someone he has worked with in the past…🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

So are you saying the Kelly to DC rumors are false? I’m confused.

I haven’t seen this rumor anywhere. It wouldn’t make any sense. We have an open on field coaching position still. What would we do with it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So Charles Kelley for DC. Everyone ready? It would be right there on brand. I could see it. 

I would’ve been ready if we had named him the DC from the beginning. But I’m curious how they will spin the recently designated co-DC suddenly becoming THE DC. If that’s how it plays out. 

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

I haven’t seen this rumor anywhere. It wouldn’t make any sense. We have an open on field coaching position still. What would we do with it?

What position, edges?

59 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What position, edges?

It sounds like there’s a rumor starting to float around that we are just going to roll with Kelly as the main DC. We are allowed X number of on field coaches during games. If we do just promote Kelly, there will still be an available on field coaching spot. 

Is Durkin still floating around?  Auburn waiting for Chris Kiffin to make his mind up?  When does spring practice start?  

On 1/29/2024 at 8:08 AM, metafour said:

And there you have it.

Durkin is hired as the DC. Not "Co-DC", but DC.

This looks like a really good hire to me. I get all the stuff about Maryland but I think it’s been proven since that he can coach, and has been trusted by high level coaches. I believe the Maryland stuff has been blown way out of proportion.

Auburn expected to hire Durkin as new DC

D.J. Durkin is expected to be Auburn's new defensive coordinator, Auburnundercover has learned.

A veteran defensive coach that spent the last four seasons working in the Southeastern Conference as the coordinator at first Ole Miss and then at Texas A&M the last two seasons, DJ Durkin is expected to make another move in the league with Hugh Freeze tabbing him to take over the role as the defensive coordinator for the Auburn Tigers, a source has confirmed to Auburnundercover.com.

Playing at Bowling Green from 1997-2000, Durkin got his coaching career started at his alma mater as a grad assistant and moved to Notre Dame in the same role before returning to Bowling Green as a full assistant in 2005. His first big opportunity came in 2007 when he moved to coach with Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. He spent three seasons there before going to Florida to reunite with Urban Meyer, who he got started with at Bowling Green.

Durkin was the defensive coordinator for the Gators in 2013-14 under Will Muschamp, taking over for Dan Quinn. He moved to Michigan as the defensive coordinator in 2015 before getting a shot as a head coach at Maryland in 2016. He coached for two seasons with the Terps but was fired after backlash from the death of Jordan McNair following a workout.

After consulting with the Atlanta Falcons the following season, Durkin was hired at Ole Miss where he coached for two seasons before making the move to Texas A&M.

Despite a team that struggled last season and eventually led to the firing of Jimbo Fisher, the Aggies were a solid team on defense last season, finishing 19th nationally in total defense. In his first season at Texas A&M, Durkin's defense finished 25th in the country in scoring defense. 

In his first season at Texas A&M, Durkin’s defense led the nation allowing the fewest passing yards per game at 156.2. The Aggies held opponents under 150 yards through the air in six games, including three games under 100 yards. Texas A&M ranked No. 17 in the nation and No. 4 in the SEC in passing defense efficiency (117.10) and ranked No. 22 in the country allowing 20.7 points per game, which ranked fourth in the SEC.

In addition to his significant experience on the field, Durkin has been equally accomplished on the recruiting trail. Durkin has helped ink nine top-25 classes, including five which ranked in the top 10 nationally. During his time at Florida, Durkin helped land four-straight top-11 recruiting classes and nine five-star prospects.

Prior to his time in Oxford, Durkin spent one season in the NFL as a consultant for the Atlanta Falcons in 2018 after serving as the head coach at Maryland for the 2016 and 2017 seasons. He doubled the Terrapins’ win total during his first season at the helm and excelled on the recruiting trail, bringing in consecutive top-30 signing classes for the first time in program history.

With a history of coaching linebackers, Durkin is expected to coach either inside or outside linebackers for the Tigers along with current linebacker coach Josh Aldridge. The roles are still to be defined.

More to come...

If he got an interview, he's a serious contender. I hope AU gets to keep this one for another year at least.

• Like 3

the more i read or watch on youtube the more impressed i am. the talking heads say he will make Auburn's D elite. we shall see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

the more i read or watch on youtube the more impressed i am. the talking heads say he will make Auburn's D elite. we shall see.

Who are you talking about here fifty? 

Garrett or Durkin?

Not disagreeing that either could just curious about the context. 👍🏼

12 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

Who are you talking about here fifty? 

Garrett or Durkin?

Not disagreeing that either could just curious about the context. 👍🏼

apologies.........durkin whom i was not happy with earlier...........

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

apologies.........durkin whom i was not happy with earlier...........

I’m clearly on the optimist side (which I usually am) but I think Durkin being higher energy than Roberts will help our defense.
I think we played pretty good d at times last year but I don’t remember seeing a lot of emotion like we saw in the Muschamp days. 

• Like 2

the more i hear about him the more i like. they say he will make our D elite. the man can coach any position on D. i think he will be good for us and i doubt we have any problems with him. freeze has already been through that so i assume he made things clear and they have coached together. a lot of great coaches are taking up for him. i think we might be on the verge of building a dynasty. it might take longer than some think but i think we are getting there.

• Like 1

After Wesley McGriff's unorthodox season, Freeze 'glad we could talk him into coming back'

'It’s the third time I have hired him, so obviously I love him and believe in him.'

Nathan King6 hrs

After an unorthodox season on the Plains, Wesley McGriff isn’t going anywhere.

Auburn’s cornerbacks coach came back for his third coaching stint with the Tigers to be part of Hugh Freeze’s inaugural staff, but midway through the season, he moved off the field due to an undisclosed "personal issue." And at the end of the season, it appeared McGriff was on his way out.

Ultimately, however, McGriff will be sticking with the Tigers’ coaching staff in 2024, giving Freeze another familiar face in the meeting rooms and on the field — and a key returning coach for Auburn’s defensive backs, after safeties coach Zac Etheridgestepped down and joined Houston’s staff.

“It’s the third time I have hired him, so obviously I love him and believe in him,” Freeze told reporters this week at the Senior Bowl.

In late October, McGriff moved off the field, and his title was "chief of accountability and in-house recruiting.” He remained on staff throughout the season.

In early January, after Auburn hired Colorado defensive coordinator Charles Kelly to its staff, McGriff left for an assistant job coaching under Mike Elko at Texas A&M as DB coach and passing game coordinator. The hire was announced by Texas A&M, but Auburn Undercover was informed McGriff had yet to sign the contract.

As Auburn made moves on its defensive staff last month, though, an opening was created by Etheridge’s departure, and Freeze’s goal became to convince McGriff not to head to Texas A&M and return to Auburn in 2024.

“Glad we could talk him into coming back,” Freeze said.

McGriff was hired by Freeze last offseason, after the two worked together previously at Ole Miss. McGriff thus began his third career coaching stint at Auburn, having also been on staff in 2016 and 2019-20. He coached the Tigers' cornerbacks, while Etheridge handled safeties and nickels.

Etheridge resigned from the coaching staff last month, so McGriff will coach cornerbacks in 2024, while Kelly will oversee safeties.

“I don’t have to worry about the message from him being different than the message I send,” Freeze said. “He’s a great recruiter and a great coach, and he really works hard at building a genuine relationship.”

McGriff’s reprised role in the secondary will provide a steady presence for an Auburn defense that will be working under another new coordinator. Freeze hired D.J. Durkinthis week, formerly the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Florida and Michigan, and the head coach at Maryland.

McGriff will have a steep challenge on his hands in replacing starters D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett, as Auburn has a bevy of youngsters waiting in the wings for bigger roles in 2024. Keionte Scott is also set to move from nickel to outside cornerback.

“I don’t know about the new DC and all that, but I know Coach Crime (McGriff) will definitely have those guys ready to play,” Pritchett said at the Senior Bowl.

Sucks to replace this much of our staff but I guess this is just CFB moving forward. Unlike with 🥔 we seem to have upgraded with our replacements (at least besides maybe Durkin).

Three Options For Auburn To Hire As The Next Defensive Line Coach

Here are three directions the Auburn Tigers could go with the next defensive line coach.

Zac Blackerby4 hours ago

The Auburn Tigers saw Jeremy Garrett leave for the NFL on Friday.

After Garrett took the job with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Hugh Freeze's newly completed staff needed another assistant coach to fill out the staff at Auburn.

Here are three names that could make sense to be Auburn's next defensive line coach.

Kyle Pope - Georgia Tech defensive line coach

Pope's name popped up as soon as the news of Garrett's departure was reported. He coached for Freeze at Liberty as the inside linebackers coach.

Pope also was at Alabama as a graduate assistant in 2017. he also had two stints at Memphis as a defensive line coach as well as the defensive run game coordinator before landing the defensive line job at Georgia Tech.

Freeze has made it clear that he's looking for a culture fit and guys he can trust. Pope checks both of those boxes and knows what will be asked of him on the recruiting front. Being from Sylacauga, Alabama can't hurt either. 

Rodney Garner - Tennessee defensive line coach

Garner is a fan-favorite at Auburn due to his extended time on the Plains. He coached two different stints at Auburn as a former player and Auburn graduate. His first stint as a coach at Auburn was from 1990-1995 as tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. He also was Auburn's defensive line coach from 2013 to 2020.

If Freeze goes in this direction, it will make a splash on the recruiting trail. 

Vontrell King-Williams - Auburn Defensive Line Analyst

It seems like Freeze will go with an external hire in this situation but in the case that he wanted to promote from within, it would probably be King-Williams. The defensive line analyst is liked by the players in the room and has their respect already so it could make sense for Freeze to take a flyer and take a risk here. 

Where the risk doesn't make sense is recruiting. Auburn has several key defensive line commits pledged to the 2025 class and this position group needs to remain a strength on the trail for Freeze's program to get where it possibly could in the coming years. 

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

Three Options For Auburn To Hire As The Next Defensive Line Coach

Here are three directions the Auburn Tigers could go with the next defensive line coach.

Zac Blackerby4 hours ago

The Auburn Tigers saw Jeremy Garrett leave for the NFL on Friday.

After Garrett took the job with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Hugh Freeze's newly completed staff needed another assistant coach to fill out the staff at Auburn.

Here are three names that could make sense to be Auburn's next defensive line coach.

Kyle Pope - Georgia Tech defensive line coach

Pope's name popped up as soon as the news of Garrett's departure was reported. He coached for Freeze at Liberty as the inside linebackers coach.

Pope also was at Alabama as a graduate assistant in 2017. he also had two stints at Memphis as a defensive line coach as well as the defensive run game coordinator before landing the defensive line job at Georgia Tech.

Freeze has made it clear that he's looking for a culture fit and guys he can trust. Pope checks both of those boxes and knows what will be asked of him on the recruiting front. Being from Sylacauga, Alabama can't hurt either. 

Rodney Garner - Tennessee defensive line coach

Garner is a fan-favorite at Auburn due to his extended time on the Plains. He coached two different stints at Auburn as a former player and Auburn graduate. His first stint as a coach at Auburn was from 1990-1995 as tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. He also was Auburn's defensive line coach from 2013 to 2020.

If Freeze goes in this direction, it will make a splash on the recruiting trail. 

Vontrell King-Williams - Auburn Defensive Line Analyst

It seems like Freeze will go with an external hire in this situation but in the case that he wanted to promote from within, it would probably be King-Williams. The defensive line analyst is liked by the players in the room and has their respect already so it could make sense for Freeze to take a flyer and take a risk here. 

Where the risk doesn't make sense is recruiting. Auburn has several key defensive line commits pledged to the 2025 class and this position group needs to remain a strength on the trail for Freeze's program to get where it possibly could in the coming years. 

Survey says ……

image.jpeg.bde96712f7bfe1197b67124a8193ec4f.jpeg

• Haha 4