Saban retiring

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Actually, the portal is now open for another 30 days for bama players! 

However, If any of them started classes today, they couldn't enroll here or anywhere until after Spring

Yep, so Im not getting excited about this as it pertains to Auburn short term.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I’m seeing Lanning’s name mentioned. I hope that’s not true, but as meticulous as Saban is, it wouldn’t surprise me if the coach to replace him has already been decided. I got this from a friend of mine who is a huge bama fan. I hope it’s not true:

My son told me his coach who has connections down there, told him before it was announced.  He says Ms Terry has been diagnosed with dementia.  That’s why. She only has a few really quality years left.  Now I’m not sure that’s true but that’s what his coach told him. 

Who cares? We have to worry about Auburn. We had the 7th ranked class.

Now 6 months of mourning, legislators pushing for state holiday, official parades and countless tv appearances and documentaries .

then again maybe he will quietly leave the state to his home in Florida 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I think it is more out comfort zone. Saban is a guy who likes to run his team a certain way. The landscape is now much more complicated and he doesn’t have the “control” over players anymore.

THIS times a million.

• Like 2

For all the grief we will give him (nothing wrong with that), it is the end of an era.    Cannot deny his amazing accomplishments ... will never be equaled, in my opinion.  

Personal story:          I was with my eldest daughter in early 2007, touring prospective colleges for her to attend after high school.  We were at Alabama (year yeah, they had a major she liked), and to save a few $$$, we stayed in one of those football-party condos next to Bryant-Denny that are cheap in the offseason.  Of course, it was all decked out in the usual Bammer stuff and coach pics .... at that time, Mike Shula.  I remember distinctly several prints/paintings of Shula on the walls, along with the 14-7 Penn State goal-line stand crap, etc.   

Anyway, we go out to visit, interview ,etc.   Suddenly, we start seeing banners, signs, etc .... hanging in various places.  "Saban" this and that.   Like the old "Got Milk?"  ads, a lot said "Got Saban?" .  OK, they hired the guy from the Dolphins.   Didnt think a lot about it, went on about our biz.

When we got back to the room, the cleaning crew had clearly been there.  As Saban had apparently been hired about, oh, 4 hours earlier ..... they had come into the room and removed every possible evidence that Mike Shula had ever been the coach.   Every  wall picture, coaster,  PR pic on the counter, painting .... he was GONE.   Like Beria in 1953.   He never existed.     Darndest thing I ever saw. 

....and no, my daughter did NOT attend Gump U.     Too smart for that.     :flag::wareagle::big:

Edited by EagleEye67
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Auburn93 said:

Who cares? We have to worry about Auburn. We had the 7th ranked class.

I didn’t demand anyone read my post and respond to it. It’s a message board, this topic is about Saban retiring, and I made a post about what I had heard. 

• Like 1

Just now, EagleEye67 said:

For all the grief we will give him (nothing wrong with that), it is the end of an era. 

Personal story:          I was with my eldest daughter in early 2007, touring prospective colleges for her to attend after high school.  We were at Alabama (year yeah, they had a major she liked), and to save a few $$$, we stayed in one of those condos next to Bryant-Denny that are cheap in the offseason.  Of course, it was all decked out in the usual .... at that time, Mike Shula.  I remember distinctly several prints/paintings of Shula on the walls, along with the 14-7 Penn State goal-line stand crap, etc.   

Anyway, we go out to visit, interview ,etc.   Suddenly, we start seeing banners, signs, etc .... hanging in various places.  "Saban" this and that.   Like the old "Got Milk?"  ads, a lot said "Got Saban?" .   Didnt think a lot about it, went on about our biz.

When we got back to the room, the cleaning crew had clearly been there.  As Saban had apparently been hired about, oh, 4 hours earlier ..... they had come into the room and removed every possible evidence that Mike Shula had ever been the coach.   Every  wall picture, coaster,  PR pic on the counter, painting .... he was GONE.   Like Beria in 1953.   He never existed.     Darndest thing I ever saw. 

....and no, my daughter did NOT attend Gump U.     Too smart for that.     :flag::wareagle::big:

Got better things to get sentimental over. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Got better things to get sentimental over. 

Just a vignette.  Didnt say I was crying in my beer about it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

They gonna hire Gus :lol: 

No chance. But man would that make Bama fans upset if it happened.

47 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The house in Jupiter will be complete soon. :)

The house is already there, built in 1992 and remodeled in 2016.   He maybe remodeling it again. 

IMG_0410.webp

Just now, cbo said:

What’s the over under on the new guy’s tenure? 3 years?

impossible job. 

It will be interesting to see who accepts the challenge

• Like 1

Just now, cbo said:

What’s the over under on the new guy’s tenure? 3 years?

impossible job. 

Yep. Even if they do get Lanning who has shown a penchant of making questionable calls in big games, it will be hard to live up to the hype of Saban. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Will Lane Kiffin jump if offered? 

bammer isn’t interested in being the portal kings. 

40 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

How pissed would Texas be if Sark jumped

Nobody outbids Texa$

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

In what way?

Auburn fans get a little wonky when there’s too much change. We may see some movement in coaches/players/staff etc. 

• Like 1