Saban retiring

5 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I don't think it does.

Deboer inherited a team that was 4-8 and he took them to the national championship in 2 years.

Bryan Harsin inherited a team that was used to winning and had a clear talent advantage in the conference.

Eh It think the comparison are that they are 2 northwest coaches with NO SEC experience, not strong recruiters, etc. I think Deboer may be a ok coach, but he has never had to recruit in the SEC and never agaisnt the competition like the SEC...we will see how he does, with no southern connections he has a lot of work to do...

• Like 1

There’s similarities between Harsin and DeBoer. But there are some key differences. Both had no ties to the southeast. Both are not traditionally great recruiters. But Harsin was at a group of 5 school that had previously been dominating their competition before he got there. And that school had talent good enough for the group of 5 level drop into their lap. Washington the last few years was a pac 12 school. Before DeBoer got there, they had a bad year or two. They didn’t have any recruiting advantages, and were in fact a little disadvantaged recruiting against Oregon and USC.

Unlikely he will be anywhere near the disaster that Harsin was. But you have to remember that this is post-Saban Bama. They aren’t going to be as tolerant or patient as we were with Harsin. After the first game he loses, there will be a subset of the fan base ready to see him fired. If he is able to recruit decently, he may have some success, but isn’t likely going to be near Saban’s level. The question is how loud do the fire him crowd gets. 

37 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

There’s similarities between Harsin and DeBoer. But there are some key differences. Both had no ties to the southeast. Both are not traditionally great recruiters. But Harsin was at a group of 5 school that had previously been dominating their competition before he got there. And that school had talent good enough for the group of 5 level drop into their lap. Washington the last few years was a pac 12 school. Before DeBoer got there, they had a bad year or two. They didn’t have any recruiting advantages, and were in fact a little disadvantaged recruiting against Oregon and USC.

Unlikely he will be anywhere near the disaster that Harsin was. But you have to remember that this is post-Saban Bama. They aren’t going to be as tolerant or patient as we were with Harsin. After the first game he loses, there will be a subset of the fan base ready to see him fired. If he is able to recruit decently, he may have some success, but isn’t likely going to be near Saban’s level. The question is how loud do the fire him crowd gets. 

Yeah 3 losses and a less than top 5 recruiting year and the natives will get restless quick. If he slips outside the top 10 in recruiting (hard to believe) they will come after him with pitch forks. 

Also very doubtful he will be able to pull in the same quality of off the field support staff like saban did with the rehab coaches. 

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

Some of you are forgetting Urban Meyer's experience when Florida hired him. As much as I hate to admit it, this is an A+ hire any way you slice it.

29 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Some of you are forgetting Urban Meyer's experience when Florida hired him. As much as I hate to admit it, this is an A+ hire any way you slice it.

Out of the realistic candidates, I’d give it an A-. IMO, Dabo and Kiffin would have been better.

As I mentioned yesterday, anyone minus Kirbs is an extreme downgrade. They will no longer dominate recruiting and SEC year after year.

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

Out of the realistic candidates, I’d give it an A-. IMO, Dabo and Kiffin would have been better.

As I mentioned yesterday, anyone minus Kirbs is an extreme downgrade. They will no longer dominate recruiting and SEC year after year.

I’d give it a B to B+. Because they have the resources to bring in someone better than they chose. I think they made a huge error by allowing Saban to continue to have a presence in the athletic department. Needed to have him leave for a year or so to allow the new coach to get settled. Then they could’ve brought him back in a ceremonial role. Allowing him to stick around probably frightened off the 2-3 better candidates they could’ve attracted.

Those idiots over on the Auburn page of The Rant truly believe that Nick Saban retired all because he knows that Hugh Freeze is taking over and Saban doesn't want to deal with it. Forget that Alabama just went undefeated in the SEC, won their millionth SEC Title by beating a Georgia team on a 29 game win streak, came 1 play from making it to the National Title game, has the #3 recruiting class and won 12 games this year. Meanwhile look at our chaotic situation where we're losing 7 games for 3 straight years, can't beat Bama or Georgia, our QB is VERY meh, Caddy and Zac's problems, coordinators fired AGAIN but we brought in some highly rated WR's so Saban is shaking in his boots and had to retire. The same folks on The Rant also claimed Bear Bryant was scared to deal with Pat Dye so he retired because of that. Nevermind that Bear's health was freaking dead man walking and he would die very soon after retiring. The Rant AU page probably thinks Bear had his heart attack because he was so scared of Pat Dye and AU. 

I guess that's how a big portion of our fanbase copes with our current chaotic situation and 5 year dark cloud that is Auburn football. They just tell themselves that DeBoer will be exactly like Harsin and that Freeze is putting the GOAT out of a job by going 6-7 again and chaos on our staff. Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess. A HUGE portion of our fanbase is freaking delusional as hell.

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

I’d give it a B to B+. Because they have the resources to bring in someone better than they chose. I think they made a huge error by allowing Saban to continue to have a presence in the athletic department. Needed to have him leave for a year or so to allow the new coach to get settled. Then they could’ve brought him back in a ceremonial role. Allowing him to stick around probably frightened off the 2-3 better candidates they could’ve attracted.

Agreed to meet you halfway. That and there’s no one in the SE killing it that wanted to follow Saban period. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Those idiots over on the Auburn page of The Rant truly believe that Nick Saban retired all because he knows that Hugh Freeze is taking over and Saban doesn't want to deal with it. Forget that Alabama just went undefeated in the SEC, won their millionth SEC Title by beating a Georgia team on a 29 game win streak, came 1 play from making it to the National Title game, has the #3 recruiting class and won 12 games this year. Meanwhile look at our chaotic situation where we're losing 7 games for 3 straight years, can't beat Bama or Georgia, our QB is VERY meh, Caddy and Zac's problems, coordinators fired AGAIN but we brought in some highly rated WR's so Saban is shaking in his boots and had to retire. The same folks on The Rant also claimed Bear Bryant was scared to deal with Pat Dye so he retired because of that. Nevermind that Bear's health was freaking dead man walking and he would die very soon after retiring. The Rant AU page probably thinks Bear had his heart attack because he was so scared of Pat Dye and AU. 

I guess that's how a big portion of our fanbase copes with our current chaotic situation and 5 year dark cloud that is Auburn football. They just tell themselves that DeBoer will be exactly like Harsin and that Freeze is putting the GOAT out of a job by going 6-7 again and chaos on our staff. Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess. A HUGE portion of our fanbase is freaking delusional as hell.

Eh, I will say we are kind of in the same place that bama was was in before Saban..they were just an average team. I think Saban's and NIL and the portal made it much harder for him to control things and it shows. While they did win this year it wasn't easy as in years past and I only see it getting tougher. So yeah I agree we are still somewhat a work in progress but at least we have a good recruiting class for a change and with Saban leaving I think that can only help. Deboer may be a good.fit and may not, I hope they return to the prior Saban era, may not happen overnight but each year I think they will keep sliding down the hill that they have been on, already happening IMHO....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Cocaine is a helluva drug. 

14 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Eh, I will say we are kind of in the same place that bama was was in before Saban..they were just an average team. I think Saban's and NIL and the portal made it much harder for him to control things and it shows. While they did win this year it wasn't easy as in years past and I only see it getting tougher. So yeah I agree we are still somewhat a work in progress but at least we have a good recruiting class for a change and with Saban leaving I think that can only help. Deboer may be a good.fit and may not, I hope they return to the prior Saban era, may not happen overnight but each year I think they will keep sliding down the hill that they have been on, already happening IMHO....

I'll take Stallings-era level.

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

This. I say B hire. Definitely a great on-field play caller with a sterling W/L record overall, but the only big-boy football he’s coached was 2 years with an elite, polished transfer QB and a cadre of elite receivers. The microscope he’ll be under will be like nothing he could’ve prepared for. I think he will do a good job by reasonable standards, but we know Bama’s standards are anything but reasonable. If he coaches by feel or by a personal ethos, he will fail. Saban coached according to a cult-like commitment to a “process.” If KD can find and adhere to a “process,” he can thrive. If not, he will fail.

49 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

IMG_9304.jpeg

I'm not a defender of UA, I just really , really dislike rb.

rb is a brazen dumb*** and a cheater.  Just to remind rb, USC removed all Name, Image and Likenesses of rb from its campus since he was forced to return his Heisman because of all the $$$ he took as bribes to play for them.  IF NIL were active during his time at USC, then he would have had butt kiss. 

Also, if his claim were true, then why would UA have recruited almost 4 times as many 5* players compared with USC since NIL inception, UA-14, USC-4 (247)  ?  Why would NS recruit more players over whom he has "no control" ?

AND, just to add salt to the wound, in the last 10 recruiting classes UA has recruited 41 5* players, USC only 13.

Next we'll be hearing that USC-w wants to join the SEC West Division.  The only big draw for USC recruits these days is the weather.

Now that I've finished my coffee, I'm done. :)

3 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I'm not a defender of UA, I just really , really dislike rb.

rb is a brazen dumb*** and a cheater.  Just to remind rb, USC removed all Name, Image and Likenesses of rb from its campus since he was forced to return his Heisman because of all the $$$ he took as bribes to play for them.  IF NIL were active during his time at USC, then he would have had butt kiss. 

Also, if his claim were true, then why would UA have recruited almost 4 times as many 5* players compared with USC since NIL inception, UA-14, USC-4 (247)  ?  Why would NS recruit more players over whom he has "no control" ?

AND, just to add salt to the wound, in the last 10 recruiting classes UA has recruited 41 5* players, USC only 13.

Next we'll be hearing that USC-w wants to join the SEC West Division.  The only big draw for USC recruits these days is the weather.

Now that I've finished my coffee, I'm done. :)

I think your stats prove his point.  The new collectives really spread the wealth around.  Yeah,, Alabama still gets more than USC but other teams are catching up.  

Za~Za DeBoer. Saban’s lap dog. The rednecks will throw bricks through windows with his first loss. Gonna be fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCAubs said:

I think your stats prove his point.  The new collectives really spread the wealth around.  Yeah,, Alabama still gets more than USC but other teams are catching up.  

The point that rb was making is that NS couldn't handle the NIL, consequently, he retired.  To the contrary, he seemed to handle it just fine, even better than USC.  Besides, what on earth does he mean "the playing field is level" because NS has certainly recruited 5* talent better than USC, even with the advent of NIL ?

Am I missing something ?

1 hour ago, WarTim said:

Za~Za DeBoer. Saban’s lap dog. The rednecks will throw bricks through windows with his first loss. Gonna be fun. 

Slip slidin' away, slip slidin' away,

You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip slidin' away

17 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

The point that rb was making is that NS couldn't handle the NIL, consequently, he retired.  To the contrary, he seemed to handle it just fine, even better than USC.  Besides, what on earth does he mean "the playing field is level" because NS has certainly recruited 5* talent better than USC, even with the advent of NIL ?

Am I missing something ?

I think his comment on the playing field being level is that the NIL legalized paying players so it takes away the advantage of the uat mafia known as the REC.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Am I missing something ?

NIL and the portal have changed dramatically in the past 18 months.  

Very third party unsubstantiated rumor here but supposedly Saban wasn’t planning on retiring that morning but heard that a 5 star was going to go someplace else and had a hissy fit when he found out, saying that it was a bad day when another school could just outbid you.  IF (big IF) true, then the chinks started to show during the tiff with Jimbo. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I think his comment on the playing field being level is that the NIL legalized paying players so it takes away the advantage of the uat mafia known as the REC.

4 hours ago, NCAubs said:

NIL and the portal have changed dramatically in the past 18 months.  

Very third party unsubstantiated rumor here but supposedly Saban wasn’t planning on retiring that morning but heard that a 5 star was going to go someplace else and had a hissy fit when he found out, saying that it was a bad day when another school could just outbid you.  IF (big IF) true, then the chinks started to show during the tiff with Jimbo. 

Okay, thanks.  That clears it up a bit more for me, unlike my coffee this morning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Agreed. 

Now all teams can play players, without getting in trouble. And bama can't outbid everyone. Although, bama will still land some players because of the "bama gets them to the league" narrative, because those players don't realize they'll make the league with any competent team. 🙄

But also, bama can't just stack blue chips like they used to. Players aren't going to wanna sit on the bench for 2 years and hope they eventually get to play. They'll go elsewhere so they can get paid AND get early playing time. No team has the money to pay stud players to sit on the bench.

Saban always benefited from a huge talent gap. That eventually goes away. 

Edited by yngwie1995