Saban retiring

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/report-oregon-coach-dan-lanning-currently-in-tuscaloosa

According to a report from KVAL CBS in Eugene, Ore., the next head coach could already be in Tuscaloosa.

"As we did report before, I do, I previously worked in Alabama - in Tuscaloosa. Of course, I do have some sources there," said anchor Brandon Kamerman. "We did confirm that Lanning is in Tuscaloosa - in Alabama. It doesn't mean the job is signed - the contract is signed, but he's there and what I was told is that the players were told a decision will be made in the next 72 hours"

Kammerman spent time in Tuscaloosa as WVUA23's Assistant Sports Director from 2015-18 before accepting the Sports Director position for KVAL in Oregon.

1 hour ago, AURex said:
A lot of speculation. Here are my thoughts.

Saban exits with a record of 5 wins 7 losses at Jordan Hare. WDE!

Brian Harson is available! hahaha

Dabo Swinney -- Nope! The rise of Clemson to national power occurred when he had his 2 great coordinators, Elliot and Venebles. Since they left, Clemson has tanked.

Dan Lanning -- He's guided Oregon to a solid team in the PAC12 with hellu defense and Bo Nix, so I consider him a contender

Kalen Deboer -- Got Washington to the CFP, but no SEC experience at all.

Lane Kiffin -- The crackpot has cleaned up his act and built a credible team at a 2nd tier SEC school. Offensive guy who, I'm sure, would love to be HC at Bama. But not a great recruiter, preferring to go portal.

Steve Sarkisian -- He is a known coach at Bama and his Texas team beat Bama this year and went to the playoff.

Kirby Smart -- Obviously successful at UGA and probably the #1 target for Bama, since there are rumors he is thinking about leaving for the NFL. UGA has become Bama2.

James Franklin -- He was successful (as success is defined at Vandy) so he has SEC experience, and has a good record at Penn State. But has been unable to recruit at the level of Michigan and Ohio State,

Mike Vrabel -- surprisingly fired as head coach of Tennessee Titans, but has had a very fine overall track record. But would he want to jump into the cesspool of college recruiting, NIL and NCAA s***? I doubt it. But Bama has money and he'd be able to continue the elite recruiting that Bama depends on and pull in pro coordinators.

Mike Norvell -- Took over at FSU and rebuilt the program to elite status. Very unhappy with being trapped in the ACC.

My personal thought / pecking order, just my opinion from the outside --

#1 Kirby Smart. After all, taking over from a very successful Mark Richt, Smart has built a power 5 powerhouse. But could Bama lure him away? Frankly, I think not.

#2 Norvell because he's proven success at the top power 5 program level and could be eager to leave FSU. 

#3 Dan Lanning, because his defense has become elite and he's losing Bo. Rumors on the discussion boards is that Lanning is their first choice.

#4 Sarkisian, who has pulled a moribund Texas program up to elite. And can also pull in players from Texas

Of course, I'm not privy to the kind of insider information that the BAMA search committee has access to. And I'm sure Saban let the university know that he was planning to retire long enough ago that their recruiting team has already been at work.

Go Harsin!

Smart is not happening. Smart is a UGA grad. Leave his alma mater where he’s seen as a god and has momentum? Never happening.

Lanning is also probably a no. Oregon wrote an insane buyout clause because they were adamant about keeping him for a long time.  Bama would have to pay 20 mil up front just to buy him out. Then they’d have to outbid Oregon substantially on a salary. If Bama makes an offer, Oregon will certainly offer a raise. All that for a coach that has only 2 years of experience, none of which were without Bo Nix. That would be too high risk of a move for a guy that isn’t really proven yet. 

Edited by ScotsAU

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Auburn fans get a little wonky when there’s too much change. We may see some movement in coaches/players/staff etc. 

So Freeze needs to get Carnell a job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

I got a dang craving now for Oatmeal Cream pies. I haven't had one in quite a while. 

Edited by Auburn93

2 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Unless the US gets in a war or trump wins the presidential election, this is the biggest story of the year and we are only in the 10th day.

If Belichick retires, he would easily dwarf this news. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Also… The Bama fans are already starting the “we didn’t want him anyway. He wouldn’t have ever seen the field.” stuff about Ryan Williams. Yeah. They don’t want a top 5 receiver… Give me a break.

Hopefully this cements him to us

1 minute ago, Tigger1985 said:

Hopefully this cements him to us

Sark is the only obstacle now. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/report-oregon-coach-dan-lanning-currently-in-tuscaloosa

According to a report from KVAL CBS in Eugene, Ore., the next head coach could already be in Tuscaloosa.

"As we did report before, I do, I previously worked in Alabama - in Tuscaloosa. Of course, I do have some sources there," said anchor Brandon Kamerman. "We did confirm that Lanning is in Tuscaloosa - in Alabama. It doesn't mean the job is signed - the contract is signed, but he's there and what I was told is that the players were told a decision will be made in the next 72 hours"

Kammerman spent time in Tuscaloosa as WVUA23's Assistant Sports Director from 2015-18 before accepting the Sports Director position for KVAL in Oregon.

This report has since been refuted. He may be in contact with Bama. But he never flew to Tuscaloosa.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

This report has since been refuted. He may be in contact with Bama. But he never flew to Tuscaloosa.

I figured so. I told my wife the logistics didn't make sense. Unless it was prearranged, how could Lanning drop all of his personal and professional situations in Eugene and get from Eugene to Tuscaloosa in less than 5 hours after the announcement? Just not possible.

Plus this isn't 2003 where everyone is monitoring flight numbers. You interview via Zoom now. If Lanning (or any other HC flies in), it's already a done deal.

47 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

In Saban speak that means he’s gone for sure. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

If this is actually true, in my mind this is a good thing.  I think Lanning would do really well at Alabama.  He also has a strong footprint in the SEC, having been at Georgia.  He would have hit the ground running, probably held on to most of their current roster including this signing class.  Think we dodged a bullet.

2 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

If this is actually true, in my mind this is a good thing.  I think Lanning would do really well at Alabama.  He also has a strong footprint in the SEC, having been at Georgia.  He would have hit the ground running, probably held on to most of their current roster including this signing class.  Think we dodged a bullet.

Now let’s hope DeBoer stays out too.

I will be happy if the job doesn't go to Lanning or DeBoer. I don't think Kiffen or Swinney will be as big of a problem. The job almost certainly will be Kiffen's. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 2

I never believe anything I hear when it comes to the ‘I’m not leaving’ quotes during a coaching search. Whoever Bama gets will do big things there. It’s impossible not to in this era. But it will be virtually impossible for anyone to outdo what Saban has done there. And the biggest advantage guys like Saban and Kirby had are out the window with the portal and NIL. Whether it’s Lanning or not, it’s time for for AU to step up and seize the momentum for a while. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I've been told that the Mrs Terry stuff was a misdirection and she is okay. 

Good to read. As much as I have disliked the guy, I wish that on nobody. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I never believe anything I hear when it comes to the ‘I’m not leaving’ quotes during a coaching search. Whoever Bama gets will do big things there. It’s impossible not to in this era. But it will be virtually impossible for anyone to outdo what Saban has done there. And the biggest advantage guys like Saban and Kirby had are out the window with the portal and NIL. Whether it’s Lanning or not, it’s time for for AU to step up and seize the momentum for a while. 

This.  If not now, when?    Tubs settled for good, not great, during the UAT downturn.  Don’t want that again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

In Saban speak that means he’s gone for sure. 😂

Hopefully, it's true. That guy has a lot of followers. Although, others insist that Lanning is in Tuscaloosa.

But if he lied to his players' faces at that point, that's a bad look. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I've been told that the Mrs Terry stuff was a misdirection and she is okay. 

That’s good. I’m sure a lot of on this board have seen dementia first hand. Not something you throw around lightly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Also hearing Norvell and Locksley will be targeted

Norvell and his staff have stumbled on signing day recently. That will be a big part of their decision making process. 

Locksley would be a major let down but I’d be all for it. Maryland is a tough gig but he could’ve gotten more out of it IMO

This wouldn't be as sexy but he’s ran the same program for a long time and has done a lot with less and that’s Mike Gundy but again not sure on recruiting. 

16 minutes ago, woodford said:

That’s good. I’m sure a lot of on this board have seen dementia first hand. Not something you throw around lightly. 

The Bama AD pushed it

• Angry 1
  • Dislike 1