NBA Prospects

I will preface this by admitting that I know little to nothing about the NBA, as I've not really cared to watch since Michael Jordan retired (the second time), and that was before the age where I could appreciate exactly how good NBA players are, which means that my primary exposure to NBA talent has been the guys Bruce has brought in, so somebody please correct me if I'm seeing things too orange and blue (which is admittedly fairly likely), but Jaylin seems to have worked his way into being a legitimate NBA prospect. I mean, I haven't seen him shoot much from NBA range 3s, but he's got a good 3-point stroke, and really seems to have a well-rounded game that could translate at the next level.

He's obviously not Jabari because he doesn't have the same size, and as much as he's refined his shot well, he doesn't have the sweet stroke that JSJ did/does (at least, I presume he's still doing well in Houston, anyway). But I'd think Jaylin would be getting a serious look at least as a backup at the next level, because he's listed at 6'8 (and didn't seem more than 3 inches shorter than Jabari, whose official NBA height is 6'11). 

But, then, again, I don't really know. Would he be considered a bit of a tweener, a small 4/slow 3?

And what about Broome? I know he didn't get a favorable enough report from the NBA workouts last summer to leave, but has he improved his game enough to be considered in the first round? If we have the great season we're all hoping to have, might he forego his last year even if he hasn't moved up the draft boards due to the seniors moving on?

Then you think about our pair of point guards, one a five-star and the other matching him just about step for step. What are the chances they end up in the NBA, whether after an amazing run that propels them to it this year or after another year or two? That seems a bit more iffy for me because of the lack of size.

Speaking of size, what about Denver Jones as a long 2? Could he earn a roster spot in the NBA? What about Chad Baker? We saw him make a huge impact off the bench a couple of games ago, and he's certainly got the length to get a solid look, I would think, if he can be more consistent.

And how about Dylan Cardwell? About the only kind of shot he can make is a dunk... Still, he's got pretty good size, at least decent rebounding, and better-than-decent shot-blocking skills, plus the energy of a naked 3-year-old running loose in a supermarket... but is there any chance in hell all that adds up to NBA backup potential?

We may or may not have any lurking NBA superstars on the team, but I'm curious what those who know more about basketball than me (which is probably a fair percentage of the board) think of our guys' prospects for playing at the next level.

If it was on a scale, I think Aden (like one day, not this season) has a 7/10 shot to potentially be that type of guy. He just has to show more improvement in creating space to drive, upper body strength, desire to drive, finishing, and while one on one defense really doesn’t matter that much anymore, you can’t be a complete sieve out there unless you’re an offensive engine. I could definitely see him improving enough 

Other than that, I guess Jaylin would be like a 3-4/10. He can’t really be an undersized 5 for most teams, and is a bit small height wise for a 4. Moves pretty well for a 4, but for a 3? I dunno yknow. I don’t love his shot form, but more important than the form is if it works. It’s varied very bigly in that regard, over the course of his 5 years. Doesn’t really dribble well enough to be anything close to an initiator, which I would think closes the book on his chances of being a 3. Someone like Pascal Siakam is who I would think of as the best role he could possibly provide, but Pascal gave you the flashes we’ve gotten out of Jaylin recently from the jump. Has pretty much the prototypical frame and wingspan that you’d want out of a NBA 4/PF at this point. But that’s the game I would think a NBA scout would hope to get out of him. It’s reportedly a weak draft, so if he could have a run like this all year, maybe we’re looking at a mid 2nder for him? 

• Like 1

I think Tre Donaldson would be hoping for that Cory Joseph, Tre Jones role, with what we’ve seen in one and a half years of film. Going to get you in your sets, safe with the ball, the frame leads you to believe you have a plus defender, seems to be a good off ball shooter so far, lot of pros that would make me think tenured nba vet. Doesn’t wow you with the handle, obviously not much of a scorer (in skill set or mentality), and has had some occasional defensive lapses, but I think his pros outweigh the cons 

I don’t want to spam the thread but that’s just a few guys I had thoughts about 

I think this is a really interesting question. One that i've thought about often as the team has taken off. If the goal is only to make an NBA roster....actual roster not g-league and no measure of how they will do in the NBA. I'd put their percentages as follows. Players not listed mean i don't think they have a realistic shot of making a roster.

Aden - %55. Very young so lots of room for growth. I don't think he could make one today but 2/3 years from now who knows. 
Tre - %60. Good shot. Good vision. Tough kid. Makes good decisions. Doesn't seem to get rattled. Not super quick...and size could be a problem. I mean sharife couldn't make a roster so shows you how hard it is. 
Denver - %30. So far the step up in competition has been too much. 
KD - %30. He's brought himself back into the convo with the year he is having. Can he make a roster with his defense? His offensive game doesn't get him there. 
CBM - %65. Surely this guy will make a roster. Smart player. Good size for his position. If he can show a more consistent 3 percentage goes up
Jaylin - %45. I've always thought he looked a bit too slow and not assertive enough on the court. Definitely looking more assertive this season. Still not sure he is athletic enough for NBA
Broome - %90. Stretch big man. He'll make a roster. More curious what his ceiling is in the NBA
Cardwell - 35%. Can't teach size! He is big and moves well. Still lot of big guys out there that are big and can move. Maybe he gets a shot as a backup big? He wouldn't have made this list prior to this season. 

I really don't watch a whole lot on NBA either so i'm not the best judge on this topic. 

58 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Doesn't seem to get rattled. Not super quick...and size could be a problem. I mean sharife couldn't make a roster so shows you how hard it is. 

Believe Tre is listed as 6’3 200 (and is built much more stout than that from the looks of it). Taking off an inch or two, he’s still pretty much close to NBA PG weight and height 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Believe Tre is listed as 6’3 200 (and is built much more stout than that from the looks of it). Taking off an inch or two, he’s still pretty much close to NBA PG weight and height 

Chick Hearn : [During Fletch's dream] He is actually six-five, with the afro, six-nine

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

Chick Hearn : [During Fletch's dream] He is actually six-five, with the afro, six-nine

I actually have no clue how it affects measurements when you got dudes with that much hair. I generally choose to think dudes like Cooper or WGJ got an extra couple inches because they measure loosely or use shoes or something. Could be because they’re measuring by putting tape down on the head instead of just lining up with the hairline?

Who knows tbh 

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I actually have no clue how it affects measurements when you got dudes with that much hair. I generally choose to think dudes like Cooper or WGJ got an extra couple inches because they measure loosely or use shoes or something. Could be because they’re measuring by putting tape down on the head instead of just lining up with the hairline?

Who knows tbh 

I agree. Not sure it helps with defense or rebounding either!

• Like 1

This team doesn’t really have a lot of NBA potential. I think guys like Tre Donaldson could play on  a Skylar Mays kind of contract for ten years. KD can play internationally or g-league. Jaylin Williams could be a rotational guy if he keeps getting better. I’m not sold on Aden being an NBA PG. I think Broome could be a backup 5. I don’t see a lottery pick but I think we have 7-9 guys who could have professional careers at some level. 

Edit: most of the lottery picks are really young and drafted on potential not their college stats. I think we’ve got a great roster. I’m not downplaying our talent; I see 8 professional players. 

Edited by OfficiatingExpert
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

This team doesn’t really have a lot of NBA potential. I think guys like Tre Donaldson could play on  a Skylar Mays kind of contract for ten years. KD can play internationally or g-league. Jaylin Williams could be a rotational guy if he keeps getting better. I’m not sold on Aden being an NBA PG. I think Broome could be a backup 5. I don’t see a lottery pick but I think we have 7-9 guys who could have professional careers at some level. 

I agree.  I don't see anyone on this team that can get playing time in the NBA.  AH is small and no where near athletic enough.  His shot is so pure.  Seriously, it's just beautiful to watch that thing arc but it takes more than that in the NBA.  I don't see JW getting drafted. Great guy from all accounts and he's had a great year so far but not NBA great. It's crazy but he's old for a rookie. I think JB has the best shot at making an NBA roster as a 4.  He really needs that 3 ball to go in though.  I'm curious to see how Tre keeps developing.  He's a wildcard imo. He's not a prospect now but let's see after next year.

Having said that, all those guys could get paid playing basketball somewhere.  Just not the NBA.

I'm not an NBA evaluation expert, but I would say that Holloway is the best prospect on the team currently due to his speed, handle and shooting. He needs a couple years of college though to grow and mature. Williams may be able to work his way on a roster as a defensive/utility player who can defend multiple positions, but he has to get lucky team culture, timing, fit etc. Broome is undersized to play 5 and not athletic enough to play the 4. I think he is a Euro league guy and can do well there for several years. Donaldson hasn't yet shown the burst of speed of creative ball handling yet to play in the NBA. Cardwell just seems slightly lacking in all areas to be an NBA guy. Not big by NBA standards, not enough offensive skill, not enough rebounding skill, not enough defensive skill. Really solid college player, but just not quite on NBA level. Again he could find his way on a roster with the right luck, timing, fit etc but doubt he gets drafted. CBM is basically the same, just at the 3. A bit lacking in all areas to be an NBA guy. Don't think anyone else is even worth discussing at this point from an NBA value standpoint. 

The reason I decided to weight in here is I think it is important for us to put some guys in the league. We aren't going to suddenly be Duke, UNC, Kentucky, type program cranking out draft picks each season. Bruce has done a good job building rosters with undersized guards and all, but I think to be able to recruit for 5 stars you have to have some star power from your program in the league. 

On 1/11/2024 at 12:36 PM, Rednilla said:

plus the energy of a naked 3-year-old running loose in a supermarket...

LOL!!

Most of these guys will probably have long professional basketball careers, just not in the NBA.