The Freeze Four!

ScotsAU

If we had to miss out on one of the three 5* guys, I’m glad it was Williams. Still would’ve been a fun addition, and hate that we’ll have to defend him.  But glad it was him instead of Thompson. Look at who we ended up with:
Cain is a fast, shifty guy. Get him the ball in space. Allegedly has 4.3-4.4 speed. Reminds me a little of Ryan Davis. 
Simmons is a sure handed possession guy. Doesn’t have a ton of height. But he’s a vertical jumper for his high school track team. He’s not slow either. He’s fast enough to get enough space where his leaping ability and good hands should create a Mr. Reliable. 
Cam Coleman has great size and speed. I think he will be a great vertical threat and good at jailbreak screen plays, like a Sammie Coates or Darius Slayton. 
Perry Thompson is just extremely versatile. He runs a 4.3 40, and he’s tall. Also catches it pretty well. Gives me major Julio Jones vibes. He’s the lowest rated of the 5* guys we tried to sign, but quite frankly I think he’s the best. 

Had we signed Williams, I think he would’ve just taken snaps away from Cain. They are both smaller, shifty kinds of receivers. 

Really excited to see what these 4 can do. Whether it’s Thorne or someone else, I hope our QB can get them the ball.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

If we had to miss out on one of the three 5* guys, I’m glad it was Williams. Still would’ve been a fun addition, and hate that we’ll have to defend him.  But glad it was him instead of Thompson. Look at who we ended up with:
Cain is a fast, shifty guy. Get him the ball in space. Allegedly has 4.3-4.4 speed. Reminds me a little of Ryan Davis. 
Simmons is a sure handed possession guy. Doesn’t have a ton of height. But he’s a vertical jumper for his high school track team. He’s not slow either. He’s fast enough to get enough space where his leaping ability and good hands should create a Mr. Reliable. 
Cam Coleman has great size and speed. I think he will be a great vertical threat and good at jailbreak screen plays, like a Sammie Coates or Darius Slayton. 
Perry Thompson is just extremely versatile. He runs a 4.3 40, and he’s tall. Also catches it pretty well. Gives me major Julio Jones vibes. He’s the lowest rated of the 5* guys we tried to sign, but quite frankly I think he’s the best. 

Had we signed Williams, I think he would’ve just taken snaps away from Cain. They are both smaller, shifty kinds of receivers. 

Really excited to see what these 4 can do. Whether it’s Thorne or someone else, I hope our QB can get them the ball.

Good analysis 

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think the oline was a mixed bag. We run blocked pretty well based on our rushing stats. Pass blocking wasn’t very good but hard to know if that was lack of ability or incompetence in our playcalling and QB play. 

I agree with you a the future of the d line. We signed some exceptional talent. That said, it is rare for true freshmen to make a huge contribution up front on the defensive side. I’m disappointed in our two portal tackles. I don’t believe either one of them will be big impact guys like Marcus Harris was. 

Run blocking last year. You’ll have to expand it. At least we played assignment football, which is new and different. 😆 

image.jpeg.550083f9cc38dec19e74a1dcc9704e5d.jpeg

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

Run blocking last year. You’ll have to expand it. At least we played assignment football, which is new and different. 😆 

image.jpeg.550083f9cc38dec19e74a1dcc9704e5d.jpeg

That’s a great statistic. Thanks for sharing it. O line seems to be a position where fundamentals and assignment football still matters. 

Coleman and Thompson both have the body/tools to be successful (I would not want to be a 5'10 CB trying to go up with either of them).  From looking at their film, both can catch, run and go up and get the ball.  Hard to tell just how strong they are; freshman wideouts tend to have trouble getting off the LOS against SEC competition; so that will have a lot to do with their playing time; well, that and blocking ability and how well they learn the offense. 

Our biggest challenge/concern at WR is a QB.  Without above avg QB play, these guys will be one and done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Coleman and Thompson both have the body/tools to be successful (I would not want to be a 5'10 CB trying to go up with either of them).  From looking at their film, both can catch, run and go up and get the ball.  Hard to tell just how strong they are; freshman wideouts tend to have trouble getting off the LOS against SEC competition; so that will have a lot to do with their playing time; well, that and blocking ability and how well they learn the offense. 

Our biggest challenge/concern at WR is a QB.  Without above avg QB play, these guys will be one and done.

Which is why I wish we hadn't bothered pursuing RW in favor of getting a transfer QB (after we got CC, at least).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, japantiger said: 

Yep.  
These studs won’t wait around for a QB to mature and effectively get them the ball so they can show their stuff.  I’m sure Freeze knows this and has a plan in place for the QB position.  He knows he’s got to showcase these WRs. 

12 hours ago, japantiger said:

Uhhmm, I think you forgetting our new guy. ;) 

image.png

Also, anyone notice Perry was moved down to a 4 star... like very recently. What's the reason for dropping a guy at the end of January?

image.png

3 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Uhhmm, I think you forgetting our new guy. ;) 

image.png

Also, anyone notice Perry was moved down to a 4 star... like very recently. What's the reason for dropping a guy at the end of January?

image.png

Podcasters said Perry had some performance drop off in some of the late season showcases. On the flip side it was the reason WW moved up

17 hours ago, japantiger said:

This right here. If we can’t find a quarterback that can get them the ball NONE of them will be around for long and none of us can blame them. I think WW will be good, but that will probably be in a couple of years. We need a gunslinger for the 2024 season.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Accurate!   Good analysis!

Perry and Cam are ridiculous talents!!!!   Cain and Simmons are really good as well!    I like the balance we have in this group as well!   I think Cam will have more impact this year because he is an EE and Perry is not.  But Perry may have a bigger impact over the long haul.   
You’re absolutely right!   Cain and RW are similar.  And RW probably would’ve just kept Cain (and/or Simmons) off the field a good bit.   So now those guys can show out and reach their full potential!

The Freeze 4 are a nasty group for sure!!!!