Men vs Alabama Game Thread

23 minutes ago, BizEagle said:

KD did a great job on Sears.  That was a brilliant coach move by Pearl.  KD is quick and powerful enough to pressure Sears and not let him drive to the basket.  Sears was really frustrated, especially at the end of the 1st half, when time expired before he could get a shot off.

He got the better of him that possession but I don't think he stopped him from doing what he wanted to do overall. They basically remind me of us the last couple of years. The other guys couldn't score really. If he doesn't set them up for good shots they can't create their own. And if their shots aren't falling from 3 who else can score besides Sears? 

We clamped the 3 point line up. The only way they were going to score was to drive to the goal. Nobody else could consistently do it. 

They initially tried but we were blocking shots and after that nobody besides Sears appeared to not be scared to attack the goal.

Most freshman players that start for college teams hit a wall about halfway through the season. Aden shouldn't have a problem with that due to his struggles and lack of minutes. But this could really be a plus if it breaks the right way for us. He is really pressing right now and getting frustrated with his game, especially the 3s. Every good shooter goes through it and will come out of it at some point. If Aden starts seeing the ball go through the hoop at the right time , our O gets exponentially better at just the right time. 

That's my hope anyway.

• Like 1

I think oats was exposed this game personally because of course we were going to have the defensive game plan we had.... But it doesn't seem he had any type of game plan to counter that.

I know what I would have done, but Oates didn't have a thing as far as a game plan. As far as recruiting goes this is a game I would pull up and talk to the recruit with his coach and family..... Just highlight how Pearl just coached circles around this guy.

• Like 6

The strategy to (almost) never double the driver was a great adjustment from last game.  Bama loves to drive and kick out for open threes.  We just let the interior guys deal with drivers and stayed on the perimeter players, making kickouts more difficult and shots from out there contested.  Really frustrated their flow.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The strategy to (almost) never double the driver was a great adjustment from last game.  Bama loves to drive and kick out for open threes.  We just let the interior guys deal with drivers and stayed on the perimeter players, making kickouts more difficult and shots from out there contested.  Really frustrated their flow.

The tight coverage on Sears and preventing the kickout passes kept Griffin from having a big night.   Griffin is an amazing 3 point shooter but AU prevented him from getting good looks

I was hoping to see AU score 100 but Bruce called off the dogs and cleared the bench.   We were 1 free throw away from triple digits

Sears is a great guard he showed me a lot in a losing cause. As Sir Charles said they had no bigs and got dominated in the paint.  In the game at bama that we lost in a close game to many times players left their man to help out, against some teams that is great but against bama who lives and dies by the three it gave them to many good looks. You could see in the game at home that Pearl had emphazied stay home. If they dirve our bigs will eat them up.

Sears was only player who could go inside and score as he uses his body so well to get the space he needs to get his shot off. He played basically the whole game and was still effective at the end. Think how good Sears would be if he had Broome and Williams to go to. His assist numbers would be astronimical but his scoring would go down some as he scores when bama needs him to. With his ability to drive and dish our 3 point shooters would also improve as they would have better looks.

Trey to me is starting to play a lot like Sears. He is strong he is starting to get shots in the paint, he feeds the bigs he gets us going after rebounds. I saw a couple times he went in backed out when bigs came but there was no pass available then backed out and then came back in and shot a short jumper. He has also gotten quicker and is able to play against speedier guards.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think oats was exposed this game personally because of course we were going to have the defensive game plan we had.... But it doesn't seem he had any type of game plan to counter that.

I know what I would have done, but Oates didn't have a thing as far as a game plan. As far as recruiting goes this is a game I would pull up and talk to the recruit with his coach and family..... Just highlight how Pearl just coached circles around this guy.

Another thing is even when we have lost to Oats, the games have nearly always been competitive and came down to the end. On the other hand, Bruce has blown him out several times. Even last year with us being down a bit and then having a monster year, both games were nail biters.

Edited by arktiger1975
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

obviously oats has coached a few good teams, but he’s got a tendency to simply say the wrong thing. You can’t ask a guy to play 30 minutes while being the entire offensive driver AND completely buy in on defense. They legitimately are a NIT team without him. 

Oats hopefully loses this team after this 1

Aren't they used to sucking?

• Haha 1

What's even funnier about that is so I guess you want him to guard Broome and Williams? He's 6 foot tall lol. And he led them in rebounds if I'm not mistaken and that's a defensive stat. But I guess he's doing the call your best player out and everybody else fall in line??? 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What's even funnier about that is so I guess you want him to guard Broome and Williams? He's 6 foot tall lol. And he led them in rebounds if I'm not mistaken and that's a defensive stat. But I guess he's doing the call your best player out and everybody else fall in line??? 

Realistically, it would be ridiculous to think you could get any more than what Sears gave last night.  His effort was exceptional and his results were good considering AU's defense execution.  Oats is not smart putting that statement out.  Sears should be pissed.

• Like 3

A couple of stats for AU I saw worth noting:  1 TO in the 1st half & only 5 total for the entire game.  Moore got 4 offensive rebounds.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It's been really good to see Tre's growth as an on-floor leader. When he's in there, the team moves the ball, looking for openings all over the floor, especially inside. He doesn't try to force his own game, lets it come to him.

Aden is still in his freshman struggles. He's used to being "the one" so he spends a lot of time dribbling around trying to find his own shot instead of orchestrating a team offense.

At least, that's the way it looks to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

He got the better of him that possession but I don't think he stopped him from doing what he wanted to do overall. They basically remind me of us the last couple of years. The other guys couldn't score really. If he doesn't set them up for good shots they can't create their own. And if their shots aren't falling from 3 who else can score besides Sears? 

We clamped the 3 point line up. The only way they were going to score was to drive to the goal. Nobody else could consistently do it. 

They initially tried but we were blocking shots and after that nobody besides Sears appeared to not be scared to attack the goal.

Great defense on this one. You really see Sears getting frustrated. K.D is like that bee inside your car that’s gonna make you crash if you don’t get it out of your face. 😝 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

Great defense on this one. You really see Sears getting frustrated. K.D is like that bee inside your car that’s gonna make you crash if you don’t get it out of your face. 😝 

Good KD, bad KD..we're still gonna miss this guy when he's gone...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

yes, we defended the perimeter,

“Why is Chris Moore important again?”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Good KD, bad KD..we're still gonna miss this guy when he's gone...

Absolutely. He shot poorly last night, but he brings the energy and dog every night. He and CBM are the leaders of this crew. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

obviously oats has coached a few good teams, but he’s got a tendency to simply say the wrong thing. You can’t ask a guy to play 30 minutes while being the entire offensive driver AND completely buy in on defense. They legitimately are a NIT team without him. 

Oats hopefully loses this team after this 1

Bama loses by 50 without Sears in that game.  Dude was out there for 37 minutes and had 25 pts, 9 reb, and 4 assists.  

Oats is a pretty good floor coach but the stuff that comes out of that man's mouth...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BizEagle said:

The one potential downside to last night was that we showed the SEC how to beat bammer with defensive execution and an inside power offense. 

I am confused. How can there be any downside to showing the rest of the SEC how to beat uat?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BizEagle said:

The one potential downside to last night was that we showed the SEC how to beat bammer with defensive execution and an inside power offense. 

Tennessee did the exact same thing to them a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Pearl is obviously in a different league than Oats in terms of PR understanding and knowing how to speak in general (even if I don’t relate to every non-sports take of his), but I think CBP handled it best during that rough week. 

Didn’t name anyone, but our rebounding/defense was butt and some guys were taking bad shots that were not going in. You don’t embarrass anyone (esp your best player) doing that, but you still pass constructive criticism. I’m sure he’s hard on them in practice just like Oats is, but you don’t publicly embarrass anyone like that 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

money-money-money-make-it-rain.gif

you sure made me a believer!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I love the competition. I love basketball man. Both of them will be better players after that play