Midterm voters rejected MAGA chaos. So the GOP doubled down on crazy.

10 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

“Fit” in our culture is a dangerous code word.  Ie Asians did not initially culturally “fit” whatsoever (South Americans are Christian) and are now thriving and driving half of this county’s technology sector and beyond.  Walk though the headquarters of Amazon or google.  Why does this country exceed the rest of the planet in innovation? Why is the stock market through the roof? A lot of brilliant and ambitious immigrants helping design and make stuff. However, the last 10 years of haphazard  border policy (ps trumps numbers weren’t great, Bidens just worse) has pretty much  screwed up what had been our historically anmazing immigration success story. 

You start off with a falsehood.  You assume a *fit* is a triggering word based on religion.  We have separation of church and state in this country, therefore, a good *fit* would be based on willingness to work and meritocracy.  Many immigrants in the past have started with low paying jobs as they establish themselves in our society and became successful.  They were driven and willing to work and they were not here to make cultural changes, they a*fit* in.  Joe once quipped you can’t go into a 7-11 without hearing an Indian accent.

Trumps numbers were better after he instituted some of his EOs that Biden erased.  Biden literally invited anyone who could make it to the border to cross illegally and offer benefits, so why would they work?  Why would they want to leave their culture of violence and *fit* in with society as we have it defined?  Nice deflection on Trump by the way.

I know your not a Democrat, but:

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You start off with a falsehood.  You assume a *fit* is a triggering word based on religion.  We have separation of church and state in this country, therefore, a good *fit* would be based on willingness to work and meritocracy.  Many immigrants in the past have started with low paying jobs as they establish themselves in our society and became successful.  They were driven and willing to work and they were not here to make cultural changes, they a*fit* in.  Joe once quipped you can’t go into a 7-11 without hearing an Indian accent.

Trumps numbers were better after he instituted some of his EOs that Biden erased.  Biden literally invited anyone who could make it to the border to cross illegally and offer benefits, so why would they work?  Why would they want to leave their culture of violence and *fit* in with society as we have it defined?  Nice deflection on Trump by the way.

The reason you hear Indian accents in every sort of small business is due to the visa program.  For example, invest $500,000 in a business that will employ 10 people in what is considered to be a growth or rural area and someone can be granted a permanent visa. Once a member of the family is here, other programs can be piggy backed onto for addtional family members to join them.

When I worked in franchising, we sold a large number of franchises using this type of incentive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’ve seen “fit” sometimes used over the years as a convenient fuzzy word to hide behind. Nonetheless, I think immigration policy is an interesting topic  (numbers, criteria, from where) everyone can debate AFTER our borders are secure.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’ve seen “fit” sometimes used over the years as a convenient fuzzy word to hide behind. Nonetheless, I think immigration policy is an interesting topic  (numbers, criteria, from where) everyone can debate AFTER our borders are secure.  

Immigration should be like a job interview and fit is part of it, just look at Auburn’s coach searches.  The fuzziness can have rules behind them as long as the rule isn’t what we see now, which is DEI.  Biden has stated DEI is what our government is basing its decisions on.  

Both Auburn and Alabama coach searches did not include even the thought of DEI.  I wonder why?

I agree we need to secure the border first.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Immigration should be like a job interview and fit is part of it, just look at Auburn’s coach searches.  The fuzziness can have rules behind them as long as the rule isn’t what we see now, which is DEI.  Biden has stated DEI is what our government is basing its decisions on.  

Both Auburn and Alabama coach searches did not include even the thought of DEI.  I wonder why?

I agree we need to secure the border first.

Personally i do think our melting pot engine is broken.  Common language and education is key. The current mass wave of uneducated, non English speaking  immigrants puts a massive stress on our educational system that may take generations to resolve.

Ie The Cubans in Miami (before the rest of Latin America later) came in 2 waves. The 1st in the 60s were generally the bilingual well educated professionals Castros communism threatened. They integrated in easily (and why todays Cubans are strongly Republican and a powerful political/economic force) and quickly contributed. The second wave in the 70s was a special program under Carter that was later found out to be Castro basically flushing his jails. A violence and uneducated implosion disaster. 2 years later Miami was in hell (ie the movie Scarface),  is still digging itself out and culturally trying to reintegrate with rest of the country. At least 2 generations to fix.

So maybe we agree. Imo it’s less about where immigrants are from than who they individually are.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

So maybe we agree. Imo it’s less about where immigrants are from than who they individually are.

Totally agree.  There are deserving people in all walks of life, we just have to vet them.

By the way, MAGAs are the same in that there are sane people that want what is good for America that are not extreme.

22 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Totally agree.  There are deserving people in all walks of life, we just have to vet them.

By the way, MAGAs are the same in that there are sane people that want what is good for America that are not extreme.

When Trump would not reject the kkk, natzi’s, ect (which every gop candidate in history clearly had - but trump wanted the votes) - it didn’t mean all of maga was one thing - but it did underscore that maga accepted and had large numbers of those elements. Add that and 1/6, and the brand was stereotyped forever - therefore,  its position on border policy was simply based on old school uneducated whites racism and can’t be taken seriously.

Probably not be fair - but it’s carved in most peoples minds that I know today.

58 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Probably not be fair - but it’s carved in most peoples minds that I know today.

You’re right; it isn’t fair. 

Edited by I_M4_AU

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yor’re right; it isn’t fair. 

Marketing experts will tell you undo’ing a brand is almost impossible. Ie Cadillac -> old people. Trump and maga for many will always just be this because of the sheer shock of that day

image.thumb.png.4212765a8b54c5c538ec1d761e7fc622.png

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Correct, branding is very difficult to overcome:

Not good. Continues the recent tradition of our leaders being snickered at globally. 
image.thumb.png.9f65056087b54f5ec1f75a372e6948fb.png

If the shoe fits...

21 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s a great point. Step 1 secure the borders and make it known all illegal immigrants will be immediately deported. Step 2: policy. What kind of legal immigration do we want?  If some had their way it’d be all impoverish people, others it’d be all English speaking white guys from Norway, and others (like myself) highly focused on bringing the planets best and brightest. We’re all wrong but we all have a point. 

Bottom line - we’re showing favoritism to one immigrant culture because there happens to be a land bridge. That’s not a holistic immigration approach - that’s just  geography.

I thought MAGAs beef stopped at step 1. Of course a little cheating was ok in the late 80s forward when we needed Hispanics in the construction trades.