I Smell Something

18 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I'm reminded of the failure of Pat Knight following his dad, Bobby, as head BB coach at Texas Tech. Three miserable years and Pat being fired. AU should be careful with an unproven coach in waiting situation. 

I'm thinking that Bruce is a different kind of Father to Steven than Bobby was to Patrick.   Just my thoughts based on what is/was shown on TV (so no insider knowledge).  I think Steven would have a chance to be successful at Auburn.   Patrick never had a chance IMO.

On 2/27/2024 at 10:22 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Houston was willing to play this game while having much more attractiveness, potential, etc etc, I really can’t be mad if we have to play the same game 

Is Bruce the kind of guy that would force Auburn to play this game?  Will Bruce leverage his staying/leaving on forcing Auburn into a succession plan cementing his son as the next HC?  

OR is this discussion nothing more than message board folk having discussion? 

32 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Is Bruce the kind of guy that would force Auburn to play this game?  Will Bruce leverage his staying/leaving on forcing Auburn into a succession plan cementing his son as the next HC?  

OR is this discussion nothing more than message board folk having discussion? 

Well, there’s no way to know one way or the other. We do know he’s spoken to other schools in the past during his time here, and there’s no self respecting high level coach that hasn’t leveraged a discussion with other programs into getting what they want. 

So we can basically assume that this latest round of conversation would be used to his benefit, next time he speaks to Auburn. Whether it’s an implied/understood “I need this, this, this” or it’s holding their feet to the fire and giving them an ultimatum, I would think both sides’ positions would be understood. Especially when Pearl has been publicly discussing the same few topics for years now. 

I don’t know anything more than the next guy about what’s happening behind those doors, but I’d think the apparel thing has been running longer while the Basketball-only Facility is probably a more hot button thing recently. Maybe not today recently since they’re actively doing the apparel discussions, but in the last few years. 

I just have a feeling that if these two things got figured out, Auburn could sandbag on the Steven Pearl discussion 

• Like 1

Knoxville radio talking about Pearl and the Louisville job. Interesting that a year or two ago I remember a thread about him only wanting to coach for 3 more years or so due to health. He seems restless. And really vocal on the Alabama IVF stuff.