I Smell Something

I trust Cohen to do the right thing. He's taken every correct step so far. I imagine the apparel deal will finish first, though

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

It would be nice if that succession plan was in writing... 

Admittedly I don't know enough about contract negotiations as they relate to coaches.  But has any other college ever put a succession plan in writing for the HC's son to take over? Does Auburn seriously want to legally tie themselves to something so definitive after Bruce chooses to depart?  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Admittedly I don't know enough about contract negotiations as they relate to coaches.  But has any other college ever put a succession plan in writing for the HC's son to take over? Does Auburn seriously want to legally tie themselves to something so definitive after Bruce chooses to depart?  

https://uhcougars.com/news/2023/6/13/mens-basketball-kelvin-kellen-sampson-sign-contracts-with-mens-basketball 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thanks for the article, Bird. 

I'm a skeptic by nature, and I believe Auburn will be positioned in a much more favorable place than they were when Bruce took over.  CBP has proven that Auburn basketball can flourish under the right operating plan and management.  Auburn will be an attractive job when CBP leaves, and I'd think Auburn would be wise to keep all options open for his replacement when that time comes.  

Certainly, give Steven very serious consideration.  But with the way the college sports landscape has changed so drastically (NIL/portal/neutered NCAA), who the heck knows what it's going to look like in a few years and who knows if Steven would be the best fit at HC at that time?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I trust Cohen to do the right thing. He's taken every correct step so far. I imagine the apparel deal will finish first, though

yeah, Cohen is showing himself to be a very capable AD, so far.  Cohen was a good hire.  I agree that Bruce is trying to get Steven ready to advance in coaching.  Steven does a lot of scouting, analysis, and recruiting too.  Definitely something to watch.  He does do a lot more speaking and press events.  Bruce is like that with players too, pushing them in front of the camera.  However for game time coaching Bruce, relies on Ira Bowman a lot, especially for player combinations substitutions and match ups.  Ira is another coach we should feel good about having on the staff.  Bruce is just a flat out smart coach and good person.  The players and other coaches recognize it too.

• Thanks 1

It's a double edged sword.  On one hand I feel BP knows what's best for AU and think CSP provides the best continuity in recruiting and System...plus BP would still "help".  On the other, It'd be nice to see CSP leave for a year or two and take over a lower tiered program to prove to AU he's ready.

IMO, there's no right answer but if it means keeping the train rolling as is, then do what's necessary for us to stay on the tracks 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Thanks for the article, Bird. 

I'm a skeptic by nature, and I believe Auburn will be positioned in a much more favorable place than they were when Bruce took over.  CBP has proven that Auburn basketball can flourish under the right operating plan and management.  Auburn will be an attractive job when CBP leaves, and I'd think Auburn would be wise to keep all options open for his replacement when that time comes.  

Certainly, give Steven very serious consideration.  But with the way the college sports landscape has changed so drastically (NIL/portal/neutered NCAA), who the heck knows what it's going to look like in a few years and who knows if Steven would be the best fit at HC at that time?  

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's a double edged sword.  On one hand I feel BP knows what's best for AU and think CSP provides the best continuity in recruiting and System...plus BP would still "help".  On the other, It'd be nice to see CSP leave for a year or two and take over a lower tiered program to prove to AU he's ready.

IMO, there's no right answer but if it means keeping the train rolling as is, then do what's necessary for us to stay on the tracks 

Bruce IS AU bball! I think it’s totally worth it to agree for Steven to be the next head coach if it means we get 7 more seasons of Bruce. It’s low risk high reward with Steven. If it doesn’t work out we should know very quickly with how well his dad has set him up to be successful. Plus I love the idea of building a Pearl coaching dynasty! 

• Like 3

I have never liked the coach in waiting stuff. That is not a comment on CSP. I think that CBP, in conjunction with in the investment AU made in the arena before he got here, have elevated the profile of the basketball program. As a result we should be at least looking for a proven head coach. CSP may be the best option when CBP is not longer at AU, whenever that may be, but I don't think we should lock ourselves in. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Why have we not started construction on the Basketball Only facility?! Didn’t we receive a huge donation from the Neville family to build this facility? Why did we rename the freaking arena if we weren’t going to spend their money?!

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/news/auburn-basketballs-new-practice-facility-is-on-hold-per-bruce-pearl

This is from a year and a half ago. It says all the right things about why the facility is not underway. I get why people are skeptical of coaches and contracts in general but I’m just going to believe Bruce is different. Either way, it’s time to take the project off hold and get moving on it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JerryAU said:

A lot of whether I would be open to Steven taking the job would be how Bruce ends up at Auburn. Another couple of SEC regular season and/or tournament titles, and a couple more deep NCAA tournament runs would make me a lot more excited about the possibility.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I have never liked the coach in waiting stuff. That is not a comment on CSP. I think that CBP, in conjunction with in the investment AU made in the arena before he got here, have elevated the profile of the basketball program. As a result we should be at least looking for a proven head coach. CSP may be the best option when CBP is not longer at AU, whenever that may be, but I don't think we should lock ourselves in. 

I agree, let's see how Bruce's tenure ends up at Auburn. A couple more SEC regular season and/or tournament titles, and a couple more deep NCAA tournament runs, and we'll talk.

We can go one of 2 ways:

We hire Steven or try to drop a bunch of money on a more proven name. Fresh off the Bruce era we should be an attractive landing spot for somebody with a proven track record.

My fear is we hire Steven after Bruce and we slide a bit, just like when Georgetown hired John Thompson's son. They ended up firing him, and haven't recovered. And they're a storied program. Hopefully if that's what happens to us our brand will have survived whatever slide we face and can still be an attractive place for somebody to come in and compete for Sweet 16s. I'm just not sold on the idea of Steven Pearl although he is likely going to be our next coach. JMO

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We can go one of 2 ways:

We hire Steven or try to drop a bunch of money on a more proven name. Fresh off the Bruce era we should be an attractive landing spot for somebody with a proven track record.

My fear is we hire Steven after Bruce and we slide a bit, just like when Georgetown hired John Thompson's son. They ended up firing him, and haven't recovered. And they're a storied program. Hopefully if that's what happens to us our brand will have survived whatever slide we face and can still be an attractive place for somebody to come in and compete for Sweet 16s. I'm just not sold on the idea of Steven Pearl although he is likely going to be our next coach. JMO

As long as Bruce is here until 2030 I really don’t care who the next coach is. I’m not even worried about it if Bruce plays out his current contract. It’s most likely going to be Steven so I’ve accepted it and am fine with it. I will worry about how he would do later. History tells us that most likely whoever you get right after the legend is gone won’t work out. Might as well give Steven a try.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

As long as Bruce is here until 2030 I really don’t care who the next coach is. I’m not even worried about it if Bruce plays out his current contract. It’s most likely going to be Steven so I’ve accepted it and am fine with it. I will worry about how he would do later. History tells us that most likely whoever you get right after the legend is gone won’t work out. Might as well give Steven a try.

I'm good with giving him a try, assuming the program doesn't slip before Bruce is done.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I'm with ya 100% on that my brotha. I'm making that trade despite my concerns

• Love 1

On 2/25/2024 at 3:55 PM, GwillMac6 said:

The main thing is probaly having it in writing that Steven Pearl will be the next Head Coach of AU after BP. Like Houston has with Kelvin Sampsons son. 

I'd rather not...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

I totally agree. Bruce has a unique personality that is attractive to many and I think this trait is still not completely understood with CSP. In some ways the discussion reminded me of the early reactive push for Cadillac to be AU's next head coach. Outside of all the noise out there with Cadillac, there was a tangible need for him to professional stretch beyond the AU bubble. Maybe there would be a benefit for CSP to experience HC nuances elsewhere before moving up. "Coaches in waiting" programs have a lot of unknowns to include the challenges of recapturing a spark. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

I totally agree. Bruce has a unique personality that is attractive to many and I think this trait is still not completely understood with CSP. In some ways the discussion reminded me of the early reactive push for Cadillac to be AU's next head coach. Outside of all the noise out there with Cadillac, there was a tangible need for him to professional stretch beyond the AU bubble. Maybe there would be a benefit for CSP to experience HC nuances elsewhere before moving up. "Coaches in waiting" programs have a lot of unknowns to include the challenges of recapturing a spark. 

Great post

• Like 1

The apparel contract will determine Auburn's future after Bruce retires.  If we go with Nike or even Adidas, build the Basketball Only Facility and continue to fund NIL, Steven can win at Auburn.  The games where he is responsible for the game plan have been excellent.  If all those things are in place a lot of coaches can succeed.  However, if we remain out of the AAU game, it will be hard for any coach to succeed at Auburn post Bruce.  Bruce is a "one of a kind" find for us.  I just don't see us getting another coach who is capable of overcoming the shoe contracts and our disadvantage with AAU basketball.  We are extremely lucky to have Bruce and his personality.  If Bruce leaves and we stick with Under Armour, we will immediately fall back to lower tier bottom 4 range in the conference.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I'd rather not...

Keep. Bruce. Happy. At. All. Costs. That’s all I care about!!! He’s our greatest current natural resource for our major sports. He’s a big name brand by himself alone. We haven’t had that level of stature of a coach since Dye with that kind of impact. Bruce coaching until he’s 70 and handing it off to Steven is fine by me because it will be worth it to have Bruce for 7 more seasons. 

• Like 4

There have been two coaches of late in this state bigger than the brand they were coaching:   Bruce Pearl and Nick Saban.   One just retired and that brand is about to find out what life will be like when they fall back to earth.   The same will happen to Auburn when Bruce leaves IMO.  I am just fine with CSP being next in line and seeing if he can keep Dad around for cheerleading and promotion of the program.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm reminded of the failure of Pat Knight following his dad, Bobby, as head BB coach at Texas Tech. Three miserable years and Pat being fired. AU should be careful with an unproven coach in waiting situation. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

I'm reminded of the failure of Pat Knight following his dad, Bobby, as head BB coach at Texas Tech. Three miserable years and Pat being fired. AU should be careful with an unproven coach in waiting situation. 

In the cost-benefit analysis, if you can get CBP on a lifetime contract, that’s probably worth Steven potentially being bad for 2 years then having to fire him. I don’t think CBP has the most fans amongst some of his coaching peers, but if we don’t end gracefully with him, what do you think the potential next guy is going to think?

Im of the opinion we’re going to pay out the bum for a good coach either way, as in there is going to be an Auburn tax. I rather pay that after Steven stinks it up, rather than after CBP potentially wins the conference with dudes like Camp and Berman in his rotation. He’s got a few more good years in him.