Regardless of who wins in November

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

This I strongly agree with.   The social issues (which is our fixation) matter but the financial ones are  becoming existential. 

That's a nice concise way of putting it.  A trillion dollars of new debt every 100 days will become unsustainable quickly.

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't care what they say or how flawed Trump is if he fixes the catastrophe at the border. And opens up American oil production. And doesn't embarrass this country like Biden did in Afghanistan and....the list is endless. Any thinking person who cares for America will not vote for Biden.

Oil production?  We are pumping more oil today than at any point in our history. There are a lot of thinking people that simply will not vote for a man that has no respect for and has expressed by words and actions that he is above the constitution that governs this country.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Regardless of who wins in November...

Republicans and Democrats will continue to spend us into bankruptcy. The Fed will continue to print money and asset bubbles will continue to happen and enrich the wealthy at the expense of the poor and middle class.  Congress will refuse to make a meaningful budget, and will pass continuing resolutions instead that allow for unrestrained spending. Inflation will worsen and wages will not keep pace. The government will continue to lie about the inflation rate as the middle class shrinks and poverty spreads.  Politicians will keep us arguing about which party is worse and neither party's base will do a damn thing to hold their own side accountable.

I agree.  Nonetheless, there will be a choice and there are differences between the two.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Oil production?  We are pumping more oil today than at any point in our history. There are a lot of thinking people that simply will not vote for a man that has no respect for and has expressed by words and actions that he is above the constitution that governs this country.

If you won't vote for Trump, what's your solution to fixing the border and Biden's numerous other blunders?

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you won't vote for Trump, what's your solution to fixing the border and Biden's numerous other blunders?

Immigration reform is a  must, regardless of who wins in November.  I don't agree with all of Biden's proposals.  For example, I would vote against the Voting Rights Act that gets mentioned a good bit.  There was a time when that was needed.  I don't believe it is now because it would push federal govt oversight on every state and I feel that it would be used often as a weapon more than a solution.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Immigration reform is a  must, regardless of who wins in November. 

It was a must four years ago and was only allowed to get worse. We can conclude that Biden will do nothing to address the issue.

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

It was a must four years ago and was only allowed to get worse. We can conclude that Biden will do nothing to address the issue.

It was the Republicans - or more accurately, Trump - who blocked the bipartisan bill to improve border security.

Exactly what you'd expect from a narcissist who cares more about himself than the country.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

It was the Republicans - or more accurately, Trump - who blocked the bipartisan bill to improve border security.

Exactly what you'd expect from a narcissist who cares more about himself than the country.

Biden has had over three years to fix it with the stroke of a pen. Try as you might, you can't blame the border crisis on Trump and Republicans. Biden's first act in office was to un-do the measures the previous administration had in place.

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Biden's first act in office was to un-do the measures

Interesting word: ‘measures’. Note Biden didn’t have to go through Congress to overturn a law. Because US Presidents prefer temporary band aids instead of a permanent fix.  Trump had a super solid congressional majority his first two years and could’ve pushed through a border policy protected by law. Instead he did what every President has done the past 40 years: chose to patchwork it with executive orders. Until both sides decide to create a permanent fix the issue will persist. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Biden made progress last night on the “way too old” front. Now he’s just old - which may be survivable.  His other massive exposure is obviously the border. Even before there’s EO action - he has to show leadership and passion. It must be clear it’s at the top of his list of issues. The situation was and is unacceptable to most voters.

He’s still very vulnerable.

7 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Biden made progress last night on the “way too old” front. Now he’s just old - which may be survivable.  His other massive exposure is obviously the border. Even before there’s EO action - he has to show leadership and passion. It must be clear it’s at the top of his list of issues. The situation was and is unacceptable to most voters.

He spend three years fostering and nurturing the open borders we have now.  He is flying thousands of illegals in each month, 320,000 just last year vetted by an app.  Do you really think he wants to solve the problem?  He is trying to coast until November on it and do nothing meaningful.

His DOJ has blocked Texas from arresting and deporting illegal crossing as we speak.  It is in the hands of the SCOTUS.  He blames it on the Republicans for not voting on a bill that will codify 5000 daily crossings and will not consider HR 2 as a solution.  His way or no way.  He doesn’t want to fix the border crisis.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He spend three years fostering and nurturing the open borders we have now.  He is flying thousands of illegals in each month, 320,000 just last year vetted by an app.  Do you really think he wants to solve the problem?  He is trying to coast until November on it and do nothing meaningful.

His DOJ has blocked Texas from arresting and deporting illegal crossing as we speak.  It is in the hands of the SCOTUS.  He blames it on the Republicans for not voting on a bill that will codify 5000 daily crossings and will not consider HR 2 as a solution.  His way or no way.  He doesn’t want to fix the border crisis.

My point is as the incumbent, it’s Biden’s election to lose. IMO the majority of voters will only vote for Trump if they feel they absolutely HAVE to due to Trump being Trump (almost any other gop candidate would not havethis problem - which is why the gop missed on an opportunity - Trump is a very weak general election candidate).  I agree Biden’s screwed up the border for 3 years but it’s probably not too late - if the gop had gone with Haley or Desantis, it probably would be.

6 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

My point is as the incumbent, it’s Biden’s election to lose. IMO the majority of voters will only vote for Trump if they feel they absolutely HAVE to due to Trump being Trump (almost any other gop candidate would not havethis problem - which is why the gop missed on an opportunity - Trump is a very weak general election candidate).  I agree Biden’s screwed up the border for 3 years but it’s probably not too late - if the gop had gone with Haley or Desantis, it probably would be.

I agree the GOP would be in a better position with DeSantis or Haley, it just will not happen.  I disagree that Trump is a weaker candidate than Biden.  Biden screws up daily, the humanitarian pier is bound to fail.

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Interesting word: ‘measures’. Note Biden didn’t have to go through Congress to overturn a law. Because US Presidents prefer temporary band aids instead of a permanent fix.  Trump had a super solid congressional majority his first two years and could’ve pushed through a border policy protected by law. Instead he did what every President has done the past 40 years: chose to patchwork it with executive orders. Until both sides decide to create a permanent fix the issue will persist. 

This subject is Regardless of who wins in November.  We all know if the republican wins, we will start following the actual law again, and if the democrat wins the law will continue to be ignored unless somehow the democrat base rises up against it.  We don't need any new laws for democrats to ignore. The words "shall be detained" is not ambiguous.  Why democrats are putting up with this is the real mystery.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I agree Biden’s screwed up the border for 3 years but it’s probably not too late - if the gop had gone with Haley or Desantis, it probably would be.

On this we agree. In fact, if either party nominates some reasonable option to Trump/Biden that party will win in a landslide.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:26 PM, Mikey said:

I don't care what they say or how flawed Trump is if he fixes the catastrophe at the border. And opens up American oil production. And doesn't embarrass this country like Biden did in Afghanistan and....the list is endless. Any thinking person who cares for America will not vote for Biden.

Well, that would leave you out as a thinking person.

Fact:  we pump more oil under Biden than we came close to with the Orange Dingus.

But if you were an actual thinking person you might have studied up and learned that rather than lie.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Glad to see you've dropped the "dementia narrative". :bow:

I agree he's too old for my preference, but then so is Trump.  It's a choice and the differences beyond simple age are obvious.

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

Biden has had over three years to fix it with the stroke of a pen. Try as you might, you can't blame the border crisis on Trump and Republicans. Biden's first act in office was to un-do the measures the previous administration had in place.

I can certainly blame Republicans for blocking a bipartisan congressional effort to address the border.  Because that's exactly what they did.  For purely political reasons.

You apparently demand an autocratic leader who governs by fiat -  no matter the practical fallout.  That's not the way our system is supposed to work.

Edited by homersapien

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Glad to see you've dropped the "dementia narrative". :bow:

I agree he's too old for my preference, but then so is Trump.  It's a choice and the differences beyond simple age are obvious.

Ummmm, let’s be honest, it’s a very low bar.  The odds of him actually getting through a 2nd term, over 4 years from now are 50:50 at best (which is why dumping Harris would help him) - and people know that - but he did exceed expectations in SOTU which was a huge boost. The dementia thing won’t go away but this should help quiet the narrative .  The longer concern will be the debates don’t have tele prompters. 

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Serious question.  Who on here thinks that Biden is actually running the show in Washington?

Who do you think is?

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Who do you think is?

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Who do you think is?

Good question.  I don't know..

26 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Ummmm, let’s be honest, it’s a very low bar.  The odds of him actually getting through a 2nd term, over 4 years from now are 50:50 at best (which is why dumping Harris would help him) - and people know that - but he did exceed expectations in SOTU which was a huge boost. The dementia thing won’t go away but this should help quiet the narrative .  The longer concern will be the debates don’t have tele prompters. 

I'll take Biden's 50:50 odds (:-\) over Trump anytime. 

Even with Harris - for whom I think the "narrative" being overplayed at this point. (I'd rather it was Amy Klobuchar though.)

Edited by homersapien

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Serious question.  Who on here thinks that Biden is actually running the show in Washington?

With Biden’s ego he is running some things, however, him appointing many Obama cronies Obama’s footprints are everywhere.  Biden didn’t have enough knowledge to pick his own staff and bungled the ones he did.

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Good question.  I don't know..

It’s me. Shhh.. Stays here.

• Haha 1