2024 Portal

I feel like schools are going to regret for not giving Dior Johnson a chance. I'm sure he's not worried about NIL or a starting spot. He just wants a chance to prove himself. He's the type of point guard that has the firepower we need. Teams will not be able to sag in the post. If he has the grades, the right attitude and has not gotten in any trouble since his legal issue, sign him! Auburn is not in a place to be picky right now especially if the NIL funds are low. We are tired of early tournament exits because the guard play is terrible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I feel like schools are going to regret for not giving Dior Johnson a chance. I'm sure he's not worried about NIL or a starting spot. He just wants a chance to prove himself. He's the type of point guard that has the firepower we need. Teams will not be able to sag in the post. If he has the grades, the right attitude and has not gotten in any trouble since his legal issue, sign him! Auburn is not in a place to be picky right now especially if the NIL funds are low. We are tired of early tournament exits because the guard play is terrible. 

You’ll be playing backup PG for Auburn before Dior does 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

The way you don’t feel regret about passing over him is by looking up Dior Johnson charges 

That should make the reasonable person be like “alright I get it” 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Agreed. I really like Chaney also. But like Cardwell, he's good and you really want to keep him, but not quite at the level where you don't recruit above him.   

I'd be shocked if Pearl didn't guarantee Mitchell a starting spot like he did with Jabari. It's likely Mitchell has the talent to be with us only 1 year and then get drafted anyways (assuming he gets utilized correctly and can develop like Okeke in his 2nd year). If Chaney can develop into a starter for next year then that would be fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath that he'll be that good. 

Exactly! Dylan and Chaney are good backup pieces but if you are relying on them to be difference makers than you are in big trouble. That’s why Mitchell would be the starter day 1 here and he has the talent to be a first round pick with how well Pearl has developed forwards. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

If Dior had traffic tickets or issues with grades or even anger issues like CBM, then I wouldn’t have any issues with him.  However, when it comes to DV, just like Chris Beard, that’s something that I cannot support. I’m hoping the young man has straightened his life out and has received some help with his issues. However, that doesn’t mean you get to play for a top Division 1 program. He still has to face consequences and understand that just because he’s really good at a sport doesn’t mean he doesn’t have consequences. It was only 2 years ago when this happened. I wouldn’t be comfortable with him being on campus knowing his recent history.

• Like 2

I guess Pearl and staff wasn't confident about Mitchell. Ja'Heim Hudson, a 6'7" senior from SMU, is on campus per his Instagram. 

• Like 1

They did bring Myles Rice into the fold some time after they started pushing heavy for Pegues. May just be a thing of having multiple potential options, or he could truly be a fail safe. 

Either way, I’m glad they’re still finding viable options and not just locking themselves into having to play a very tight rotation with no real depth. The team needs two more quality guys to really contend for anything 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I guess Pearl and staff wasn't confident about Mitchell. Ja'Heim Hudson, a 6'7" senior from SMU, is on campus per his Instagram. 

Yea, just saw that as well. Thanks for posting this though, it’s very difficult getting Auburn basketball information for some reason.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They did bring Myles Rice into the fold some time after they started pushing heavy for Pegues. May just be a thing of having multiple potential options, or he could truly be a fail safe. 

Either way, I’m glad they’re still finding viable options and not just locking themselves into having to play a very tight rotation with no real depth. The team needs two more quality guys to really contend for anything 

Yea, it could be one or two things. Either Mitchell has already told them he’s committing elsewhere and Hudson is a lock to commit since he’s not starter material or like you said, they are bringing Hudson in just to be safe since Mitchell hasn’t told them anything. I agree that at least the staff hasn’t stopped recruiting other guys, hoping they realize we need to more sold rotation guys to compete.

I will also say I will be very disappointed if we miss out on Mitchell. I can’t find a legit and logical reason he wouldn’t commit to Auburn unless he just likes somewhere else better.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 1

I agree. No disrespect, but we need Mitchell at the PF spot as he is a NBA prospect. Hudson is not close.

• Like 2

Just now, Tiger720 said:

I agree. No disrespect, but we need Mitchell at the PF spot as he is a NBA prospect. Hudson is not close.

I actually just saw some stats and I’m really trying to be nice, but there’s got to be someone else that’s better. I mean, Chaney Johnson is better than him. He didn’t even start for SMU and only averaged like 10 ppg at GASt. Yea, don’t like this move whatsoever. I’m really hoping he’s coming in as a backup to Mitchell. There’s nothing about Hudson that seems like he’s ready for the SEC. I’ll be honest, if one of our rivals were looking at him I would be laughing right now. Look at the schools showing him interest, not many good programs. 

2 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I actually just saw some stats and I’m really trying to be nice, but there’s got to be someone else that’s better. I mean, Chaney Johnson is better than him. He didn’t even start for SMU and only averaged like 10 ppg at GASt. Yea, don’t like this move whatsoever. I’m really hoping he’s coming in as a backup to Mitchell. There’s nothing about Hudson that seems like he’s ready for the SEC. I’ll be honest, if one of our rivals were looking at him I would be laughing right now. Look at the schools showing him interest, not many good programs. 

So there are very few highlights of him since he doesn’t have many. Pearl is really grasping at straws with Hudson. Anybody else see his stats and highlights? What do you think?

Yeah, I don't see Auburn in the top 4 of the SEC next season with this current roster, but the game is not won on paper. We shall see. 

1 minute ago, Tiger720 said:

Yeah, I don't see Auburn in the top 4 of the SEC next season with this current roster, but the game is not won on paper. We shall see. 

It’s hard to say right now. Auburn doesn’t have an SEC starter at PF. And we still need one more quality guard. Four of the 5 starters are legit and Cardwell, Pettiford, Jakhi and  Chaney are quality backups. But yea, we really need Mitchell to commit. Nothing against Hudson, but he would be lucky to play at Vanderbilt much less at Auburn.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be so quick to sell Chaney Johnson out.  I think at the least he’s got a chance for a split role 50/50 with someone.  Maybe not quite a starter yet but who knows with another offseason playing SEC speed I would be surprised if he didn’t improve.  Would love Mitchell but who knows what will happen.  More concerned about point guard right now to be honest 

• Like 1

Just now, Lotto said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to sell Chaney Johnson out.  I think at the least he’s got a chance for a split role 50/50 with someone.  Maybe not quite a starter yet but who knows with another offseason playing SEC speed I would be surprised if he didn’t improve.  Would love Mitchell but who knows what will happen.  More concerned about point guard right now to be honest 

Also if the law, NCAA allows a player to play and it’s two years after an incident and none of us were there for what happened or in the court room where he was not issued a felony and he has good grades and a great attitude just because he wants a chance to do better I feel like he deserves forgiveness who are we to judge and be snobs about if everything is water under the bridge and he has a changed heart and mind.  When you are 17 your prefrontal cortex is underdeveloped, not making excuses but Atleast look into him 

13 hours ago, Lotto said:

Also if the law, NCAA allows a player to play and it’s two years after an incident and none of us were there for what happened or in the court room where he was not issued a felony and he has good grades and a great attitude just because he wants a chance to do better I feel like he deserves forgiveness who are we to judge and be snobs about if everything is water under the bridge and he has a changed heart and mind.  When you are 17 your prefrontal cortex is underdeveloped, not making excuses but Atleast look into him 

His charge was a felony charge; he had a plea bargain to reduce it to a misdemeanor. Also had charges of simple and aggravated assault, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment…he got a ton of leeway by the courts in those charges being bargained down, I think he’ll be happy just being free and still getting to play any basketball 

Truth be told, it’d be one of the more desperate moves I’ve seen in sport to risk the terrible PR and completely shelve aside your morals for a kid who was a great recruit almost 3 years ago and just looked good in juco ranks. We wouldn’t even be doing this for someone who’s a proven starter caliber guy lol 

• Like 1

So Hudson has left Auburn and had glowing remarks, much different than when Mitchell left yesterday. Of course, Hudson isn’t coveted like Mitchell and knows being at Auburn would be like hitting the jackpot for him. I’ll be honest, I’m hoping this is just a courtesy and last resort visit. I would rather go after a guy who at least starts on their team from a lower conference or even JUCO or D2 star. I mean, I know I sound repetitive, but there’s absolutely nothing that Hudson brings to make us any better. Chaney is much better than him. I just don’t get this. 

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Chaney is much better than him. I just don’t get this. 

If you want it in short - Auburn is scratching the bottom of the bottom of the barrel

Hell they offered RJ Godfrey like a month and a half and dozens of other commits ago. And he was pretty middling statistically and role wise for that point in the cycle. I don't want to advise anyone of anything but what we've seen to this point would make me temper my expectations for whoever this next commit will be 

24 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If you want it in short - Auburn is scratching the bottom of the bottom of the barrel

Hell they offered RJ Godfrey like a month and a half and dozens of other commits ago. And he was pretty middling statistically and role wise for that point in the cycle. I don't want to advise anyone of anything but what we've seen to this point would make me temper my expectations for whoever this next commit will be 

Auburn must be down really bad? What happened with Bruce's recruiting touch? He usually closes when the recruit visits campus. I can't believe this guy was even granted a visit. If Bruce is this desperate, Dior Johnson may actually get a chance at Auburn. I know he sees how loaded Alabama will be next season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I understand why we went with Godfrey, he had a lot of upside and Pearl could have made him better. However, Hudson makes no sense. He struggled at Georgia State and didn’t even start at SMU, and when he did play, it was minimal impact at best. I have seen the very few highlights of him and there’s really nothing about him that makes me think he will be a solid contributor. That’s why if I were Pearl, I would go after a low mid major forward that started or JUCO or D2 starter. At least those guys have some kind of potential. Hudson really would be a depth piece and Chaney would be the starter. 

I guess it’s frustrating knowing that we are one piece away in the starting 5 from being a contender and we can’t get any quality player to fill that role. It’s amazing since Pearl has had a lot of success with forwards but for one reason or another he’s been striking out lately. So, I’m crossing my fingers that we get Mitchell. I’m still holding out hope that Pearl and the Auburn staff can fill these last two spots with quality players.

Edited by AUSCalum87

43 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Auburn must be down really bad? What happened with Bruce's recruiting touch? He usually closes when the recruit visits campus. I can't believe this guy was even granted a visit. If Bruce is this desperate, Dior Johnson may actually get a chance at Auburn. I know he sees how loaded Alabama will be next season. 

I think NIL has hurt us but also because this year we have most of our starters coming back, so high quality portal players are not going to come here. And again, do not want Dior. We can find someone at the D2 level that would be solid depth and have wayyy less baggage than Dior.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

He’s not struggling he gets who he wants when he stays within his nil budget. Broome coming back. Pettiford and pegues most likely cost almost all our nil budget. We don’t have the deep nil pockets for bball like our direct competition atop the sec.

• Like 3