2024 Portal

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Reasoning? You think he came back for free? 

Probably not for free. Also probably not for some of these atrocious amounts being tossed around. Nobody knows what these kids are or are not getting. One thing is certain, they are not getting 1st round pro money because they aren't first round pro material.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Probably not for free. Also probably not for some of these atrocious amounts being tossed around. Nobody knows what these kids are or are not getting. One thing is certain, they are not getting 1st round pro money because they aren't first round pro material.

Keep in mind that million dollar figure has been thrown around for a TON of basketball players of that caliber, at bare minimum. If you look into this whatsoever, you’ll find a ton of other figures who’d back Matt Norlander’s price point. Auburn didn’t get Johni Broome to return for less than market value, and market value for a center of his caliber has been a million bare minimum. 

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Keep in mind that million dollar figure has been thrown around for a TON of basketball players of that caliber, at bare minimum. If you look into this whatsoever, you’ll find a ton of other figures who’d back Matt Norlander’s price point. Auburn didn’t get Johni Broome to return for less than market value, and market value for a center of his caliber has been a million bare minimum. 

I doubt the figures that are being thrown around. Also, last year baseball coach Butch Thompson was openly panhandling for $350,000 to keep his team together. I hope the board of directors of the NTY collective aren't giving one basketball player three times more than the entire baseball program gets.

• Like 1

The turds paid $200K for an illiterate, unproven, high school defensive lineman 25 years ago.  $1 million for an All-American basketball player is not a stretch.  At all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I doubt the figures that are being thrown around. Also, last year baseball coach Butch Thompson was openly panhandling for $350,000 to keep his team together. I hope the board of directors of the NTY collective aren't giving one basketball player three times more than the entire baseball program gets.

Yeah but you don’t approach NIL from a logical basis, you look at it more from a personal feelings manner. 

Basketball generated 19.2m in revenue and 4.2 in profit. From what I could tell looking at the preview for Opelika-Auburn’s operating budget article, baseball generated 1.8 in revenue. Again, it’s facts vs feelings - Auburn has a top of the line baseball and basketball program and one is generating many, many multitudes more in revenue than the other. This is just personal opinion, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Broome generated almost as much revenue as their entire team. 

• Like 3

bama just picked up a much needed rim protector C from Rutgers ... they could have a top 5 pre-season ranking next year

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah but you don’t approach NIL from a logical basis, you look at it more from a personal feelings manner. 

Basketball generated 19.2m in revenue and 4.2 in profit. From what I could tell looking at the preview for Opelika-Auburn’s operating budget article, baseball generated 1.8 in revenue. Again, it’s facts vs feelings - Auburn has a top of the line baseball and basketball program and one is generating many, many multitudes more in revenue than the other. This is just personal opinion, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Broome generated almost as much revenue as their entire team. 

It shouldn't be about the revenue and I'm not sure it is. Remember the NTY collective is not part of Auburn University. The decisions are made by an independent board. Disproportionate funding should be given to those unfortunate athletes who are on partial scholarships. Those players who are already getting the full ride are being well cared for before they get the first dime of NIL money. I know it's not a perfect world but giving millions to one football or basketball player comes close to being criminal use of the donor's money. I think the speculation about who is getting how much is vastly overblown and not just at AU, but across the nation.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Remember the NTY collective is not part of Auburn University. The decisions are made by an independent board. 

Pardon my ignorance but what is the NTY collective? I am familiar with On To Victory (OTV), but what does NTY stand for and what's the history behind it? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

It shouldn't be about the revenue and I'm not sure it is. Remember the NTY collective is not part of Auburn University. The decisions are made by an independent board. Disproportionate funding should be given to those unfortunate athletes who are on partial scholarships. Those players who are already getting the full ride are being well cared for before they get the first dime of NIL money. I know it's not a perfect world but giving millions to one football or basketball player comes close to being criminal use of the donor's money. I think the speculation about who is getting how much is vastly overblown and not just at AU, but across the nation.

Why would more money go to athletes who generate less? Those players from our team that deserve more will find it at a program that can pay it (or they’ll realize they are below free market value and will learn to ask for less). Broome is the face of the most successful sport Auburn has; even if basketball wasn’t two of Auburn’s money sports (which would of course receive more funding than others), why would he not receive more money if he’s worth more to the fans, university, anything in between?

I don’t want to throw the S-word out, as I’m sure it’s taboo on here, but US of America hasn’t abided by the economic principles you’re suggesting in any other industry, so I’m confused why it suddenly would for NIL

3 hours ago, CT Tiger said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the NTY collective? I am familiar with On To Victory (OTV), but what does NTY stand for and what's the history behind it? Thanks!

My bad. The current collective is OTV.

Why would more money go to athletes who generate less?

Because how much money they generate has nothing to do with an NIL collective. Again, a collective is not part of a school's athletic program.

I don’t want to throw the S-word out, as I’m sure it’s taboo on here, but US of America hasn’t abided by the economic principles you’re suggesting in any other industry, so I’m confused why it suddenly would for NIL

Because it would be fair to the partial scholarship athletes and since the collective is entirely separate from the school, economic principles do not apply.

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My bad. The current collective is OTV.

Because how much money they generate has nothing to do with an NIL collective. Again, a collective is not part of a school's athletic program.

Because it would be fair to the partial scholarship athletes and since the collective is entirely separate from the school, economic principles do not apply.

That’s if you’re living in an illusion, then yes the collective operates completely independent of any school-sponsored parties and yes, “fairness” (your definition of fairness still doesn’t make sense by the principles of capitalism or a free market economy) exists. 

Im sure the donors that intend on supporting the money making programs would find it very fair that they’re donating to others unrelated to their interests…

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Dior Johnson…wow

What are your thoughts DTR? Kid definitely has baggage - type that I definitely do NOT approve of. But where do you draw the line on 2nd chances? 

36 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

What are your thoughts DTR? Kid definitely has baggage - type that I definitely do NOT approve of. But where do you draw the line on 2nd chances? 

Dudes hated me for saying it but I don’t know if Freeze was really hireable for anyone other than us. No one seemed interested and we seemed to bid against ourselves there. All that being said, that was probably a 7-8 in terms of the “this move feels really nasty” scale 

I think Dior would be about a 10? He got plea bargained down from a felony, which is probably the only reason he can even be playing this sport right now. Dudes can say what they want about how bad the Miller thing was and how shameful it was he didn’t sit, but they at least recruited a guy who was initially completely spotless. We’d be taking this dude in…knowing EXACTLY what he did 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Dudes hated me for saying it but I don’t know if Freeze was really hireable for anyone other than us. No one seemed interested and we seemed to bid against ourselves there. All that being said, that was probably a 7-8 in terms of the “this move feels really nasty” scale 

I think Dior would be about a 10? He got plea bargained down from a felony, which is probably the only reason he can even be playing this sport right now. Dudes can say what they want about how bad the Miller thing was and how shameful it was he didn’t sit, but they at least recruited a guy who was initially completely spotless. We’d be taking this dude in…knowing EXACTLY what he did 

I agree - Hard Pass for me

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Fill me in on Dior Johnson, first I’ve ever heard of him 

Johnson pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges in December 2022 for simple assault and strangulation, stemming from a September 5th incident in the same year where he struck a woman multiple times, causing bruising, and forcing her head into a bed, making it difficult for her to breathe. Johnson was suspended from the Pitt Men's basketball team during this period, but was reinstated after pleading guilty. Johnson was sentenced to a year of probation and required to complete batterer's intervention. Johnson took a redshirt in the 2022–23 season as a result.  Subsequently, the university announced in August 2023 that Johnson was no longer enrolled.  Shortly after, Johnson matriculated at Clarendon College, a community college in Texas.

What would be the reason that the entire staff sat down and had a video meeting/call with him?  Entire staff.  Have they researched him since the incident and determined that he has matured since that time and worthy of a talk?  I am sure they would have done their homework before taking such a step.  What does this mean about JIC and his visit/interest.  It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.  No doubt the kid can play and would be something to watch at Auburn.  Having said that, the optics would be tough to get around.  We said the same thing with Coach Freeze and he has done a great job since getting his second chance.  We'll see where this goes........could be nothing or it could be rehabilitation 2.0.

31 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Johnson pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges in December 2022 for simple assault and strangulation, stemming from a September 5th incident in the same year where he struck a woman multiple times, causing bruising, and forcing her head into a bed, making it difficult for her to breathe. Johnson was suspended from the Pitt Men's basketball team during this period, but was reinstated after pleading guilty. Johnson was sentenced to a year of probation and required to complete batterer's intervention. Johnson took a redshirt in the 2022–23 season as a result.  Subsequently, the university announced in August 2023 that Johnson was no longer enrolled.  Shortly after, Johnson matriculated at Clarendon College, a community college in Texas.

Well…how good is he on the court? 

• Haha 1

I would take a chance with Dior. I'm sure the staff did their research and gave their expectations if he was to come to Auburn. He's very talented player and I think he's looking for someone to give him a chance to prove himself. He was a former 5 star player and was the #1 pg in his class. I think he has matured since that incident. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You’re not the only one who feels that way about the Auburn football coach, I cannot even say his name because of how disgusted I am in his actions and his fake persona. But not going to start anything about that.

Anyways, this is a hard pass for me. It is way too recent when he has done all of these things. He might be a great player, but at some point you have to draw the line on character issues, just like the Ole Miss coach. If it was something like what Cam did at UF, I wouldn’t think twice about it. But, the physical abuse he committed to that girl, sorry, it would be too difficult for me to root for. It’s also very telling the whole staff let with him on zoom. I don’t know what to think. I’m hoping we get Jordan Ivy-Curry and Achor Achor and call it a day. What’s your opinion? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I would take a chance with Dior. I'm sure the staff did their research and gave their expectations if he was to come to Auburn. He's very talented player and I think he's looking for someone to give him a chance to prove himself. He was a former 5 star player and was the #1 pg in his class. I think he has matured since that incident. 

It’s literally been barely two years since the incident, and I’m sorry, this isn’t just some minor incident involving him like running too many red lights or stop signs. He beat the crap out of a woman. There’s a fine line between making a mistake and then something deeper going on to make you want to let your emotions control you and beat up a woman.

26 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

What research? You can do the same research about the case right now with Google as they could 

17 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

It’s literally been barely two years since the incident, and I’m sorry, this isn’t just some minor incident involving him like running too many red lights or stop signs. He beat the crap out of a woman. There’s a fine line between making a mistake and then something deeper going on to make you want to let your emotions control you and beat up a woman.

Yes, but do you hold that over his head forever? How do you know he haven't apologized for his actions and was accountable. We don't know if he showed remorse and regret. He could of been dealing with anger issues or mental illness. He may need some tough love and for someone to show that they care. He was 17 at the time. We all need people to show us grace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1