JP Pegues chooses AU!!!

I think he’s the type of guy Pearl has more or less been recruiting for a minute, but in terms of if he’s better than this Rice kid I’ve heard about (~3 years younger, couple inches taller), I think it just depends on their roadmap. If they believe next year has a championship core, then a one year rental isn’t a bad thing. Plus it gives Aden time to develop and gives Pettiford time to acclimate to college (I assume they’ll be moving him up to the 1 eventually). 

• Like 1

BTW, he SHOULD just be a one year guy, from my understanding. Everyone in 2020-21 got the COVID year, and he didn’t start playing until 21-22. He’d be a traditional senior.
So the COVID year discussion should basically be done for any incoming transfers (if someone came to us having already played 4 years, then they should also only have one year left)  

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Boom!

I was gonna say, it’d be nice to go ahead and get this spot landed. I guess they had to put their time and effort in trying to keep the two guys we had. Hopefully we still have that Myles Rice kid as an option 

• Like 1

Auburn also seriously considered Washington State point guard transfer Myles Rice, but targeted Pegues just above Rice in the process. Sources confirmed on April 11 that Auburn cancelled Rice’s planned visit once they landed a private commitment from Pegues.

…damn. Hopefully they still got someone planned for that backup spot. Probably a developmental project piece 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn also seriously considered Washington State point guard transfer Myles Rice, but targeted Pegues just above Rice in the process. Sources confirmed on April 11 that Auburn cancelled Rice’s planned visit once they landed a private commitment from Pegues.

…damn. Hopefully they still got someone planned for that backup spot. Probably a developmental project piece 

Agree 100%, but honestly it’s probably about the NIL $$$ and not wanting to waste Rice’s time, as he wouldn’t be looking to transfer to be a backup.

Am I the only one who saw this and thought it was about JJ Pegues? Dang, that big guy plays basketball too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Furman made run last year with this guy at point. Hopefully he continues to get it done week in-week out. 

• Love 1

He don’t squeeze many in. Or they edited out the shots that actually touched the rim.

He has a nice dribble that allows him to creat his own shot. I’m hoping it translates to SEC play quickly. The good thing is if his three is off, he has a pretty quick move to the basket. Seems to be a good passer also. 
I like it. 

• Like 1

With him CBM, Denver, Chaney, and Cardwell we have a five man roster with the two freshman giving us some depth at 3 with Jahki and at 1 and 2 with Pettiford. 

We need Broome to return at 5 as i don't see Dylan as a starter unless he can keep fouls down and add some post offense. If Broome does not return we need another 5.

We also could use another PG or a CG and a PF from the Portal.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

He don’t squeeze many in. Or they edited out the shots that actually touched the rim.

He has a nice dribble that allows him to creat his own shot. I’m hoping it translates to SEC play quickly. The good thing is if his three is off, he has a pretty quick move to the basket. Seems to be a good passer also. 
I like it. 

He gets his jumper off a lot quicker than does Holloway, lets the ball go above his head and he shoots layups with either hand, left or right for drives and fast breaks.  Offensively, he looks like an upgrade to me, though not as physical as Tre is.  Looks like we can drain a lot of 3 pointers with Pegues, Petttiford and Denver Jones in the lineup.   Good shooters, good ball handlers, basketball IQ, etc.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Not gonna lie.  I was hoping for Rice. However, Pegues is the man now so onward and upward.

Give me the….. SHOOOTTTAAA!!!

IMG_7690.png

IMG_7691.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Furman made run last year with this guy at point. Hopefully he continues to get it done week in-week out. 

Yesssirrrr!!!! Hit the game winner vs our arch nemesis last year in the ncaa tourney!! Will fit in well here!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, BizEagle said:

He gets his jumper off a lot quicker than does Holloway, lets the ball go above his head and he shoots layups with either hand, left or right for drives and fast breaks.  Offensively, he looks like an upgrade to me, though not as physical as Tre is.  Looks like we can drain a lot of 3 pointers with Pegues, Petttiford and Denver Jones in the lineup.   Good shooters, good ball handlers, basketball IQ, etc.    

I honestly didn’t think Tre (and obv Aden) weren’t good enough defenders for it to even matter if this kid is bad on that side. It’d be nice to have a good defender at PG (Zep is the only one I can remember and he had negative 100% offense to offer), but we need O more 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Give me the….. SHOOOTTTAAA!!!

I don't disagree.  If we're looking at 2024-2025 exclusively then Pegues is the best choice.  I guess that's what you have to do in the age of the transfer portal. I just don't like it.

• RunInRed changed the title to JP Pegues chooses AU!!!
8 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

I don't disagree.  If we're looking at 2024-2025 exclusively then Pegues is the best choice.  I guess that's what you have to do in the age of the transfer portal. I just don't like it.

Why don’t you like it?