JP Pegues chooses AU!!!

Excellent pick up.  Immediate upgrade for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yeah I was hoping for this. I was curious to see what his numbers were against quality teams. Rice played stiff competition last year but Pegues held,his own and is experienced

• Love 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why don’t you like it?

I don't like players "taking their talents to South Beach" when they encounter adversity.  Call me old school.  Call me out of touch.  Call me a cab.  I'll own any of those labels and more.

4 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

I don't like players "taking their talents to South Beach" when they encounter adversity.  Call me old school.  Call me out of touch.  Call me a cab.  I'll own any of those labels and more.

I thought you just meant you didn’t like taking pegues over rice. I will say we use the transfer portal the way it was supposed to meant to be used. Getting mid major guys who are good enough to play high major ball.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought you just meant you didn’t like taking pegues over rice. I will say we use the transfer portal the way it was supposed to meant to be used. Getting mid major guys who are good enough to play high major ball.

I'm fine with either Pegues or Rice.  Skill-wise I think they are pretty close.  Rice is a little bigger.  I wanted Rice primarily because there was at least the potential for him to be at AU more than one year.  Having said that, if Broome decides to return then Pegues is probably the best choice regardless.  I'm hoping that is the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Damn! Have you never made a decision that would probably give you more opportunities in life??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BizEagle said:

He gets his jumper off a lot quicker than does Holloway, lets the ball go above his head and he shoots layups with either hand, left or right for drives and fast breaks.  Offensively, he looks like an upgrade to me, though not as physical as Tre is.  Looks like we can drain a lot of 3 pointers with Pegues, Petttiford and Denver Jones in the lineup.   Good shooters, good ball handlers, basketball IQ, etc.    

Agree. Great pick up. Kid shoots the 3 decently and with some consistency. Haven’t seen that since Harper. Glad DC returned, but who will be our forwards and we will also need another big man. 

4 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

wack-whack.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

I get what you are saying, but I don't see how Pegues fits into the "taking their talents to South Beach" when they encounter adversity.

I think his situation and lot of other players in the portal from small schools trying to make a name for themselves with the big conferences is one of the benefits of the transfer portal. Instead of being stuck in a league he is dominating, he now has a chance to prove himself that he can play with anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Love 2

Edited by GwillMac6

Just rumblings I’ve heard from folks, not super secret inside ppl, but I expect Johni to play for AU next year 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Just rumblings I’ve heard from folks, not super secret inside ppl, but I expect Johni to play for AU next year 

I hate the "sources" thing, so PLEASE don't think I'm doing this, but I overheard this older lady that seemed plugged into our basketball ops (may have just been rich and knew someone important) and she was discussing how many people hit her line about Cardwell coming back. Later in the chat, she mentioned how someone (I took it to mean either Tre or Aden but I really wasn't attempting to eavesdrop so I missed it) left because they weren't getting the money they wanted. And the last thing I paid attn to was her saying Broome was undecided

Btw this was all yday, like maybe an hour after the tweeted video of Cardwell went out and in Aub-Ope area. Just to contextualize that I wasn't in like Melbourne Australia and randomly stumbled upon some Auburn booster's wife 

• Like 2

Outside of Zep, I would say they really had some great mid-major evals in this period of time. Zep wasn't terrible...but I don't know if I'd say that was a win 

45 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Outside of Zep, I would say they really had some great mid-major evals in this period of time. Zep wasn't terrible...but I don't know if I'd say that was a win 

Yeah it was almost like he sacrificed everything for the team... Even his offense. 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

I get what you are saying, but I don't see how Pegues fits into the "taking their talents to South Beach" when they encounter adversity.

That wasn't directed at Pegues specifically but rather a comment on college sports in general.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah it was almost like he sacrificed everything for the team... Even his offense. 😆

I have to think there's some real focus that gets lost in trying to play a role tbh. He wasn't even able to really dribble or hit open shots at a certain point...I think it's a mental thing. Same thing happened to Denver early, Chaney was a non-factor offensively until the last couple months, I think it's the mental thing more so than the jump in competition 

Even Flanigan didn't look comfortable offensively having to take a back seat his last couple years. It's harder than I probably give credit for 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

After seeing he made a deep bomb for an upset win in an NCAA tournament game, I'm now really sold on the guy. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agree. Great pick up. Kid shoots the 3 decently and with some consistency. Haven’t seen that since Harper. Glad DC returned, but who will be our forwards and we will also need another big man. 

There are several techniques that shooting guards can use to improve their ability to get off 3 pointers when they are guarded by taller defenders.  Unless they are 6'8" Dalton Knecht, they need to offset their height deficit with step back, side step off a screen, quick release, over your head release point, jump & release at your high point, etc.  When Holloway shoots 3's, he steps forward, releases the ball in front of him (hands forward, not over head), he is more smooth than quick and he does not release at his high point, instead using his upward motion to help push the ball.   Unless Holloway changes that shooting style a lot, he will continue to have trouble due to his smallish stature.  Other points about Holloway; he is not as quick as I would expect for someone with his slight build and he doesn't fight through screens very well.  He needs a little KD Johnson or Jared Harper DNA.  Fortunately for him, he is still very young and has time to develop his style. IMO, Pearl gave him a very generous amount of playing time this year, more than he would have received from a lot of coaches at this level

Edited by BizEagle
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, BizEagle said:

There are several techniques that shooting guards can use to improve their ability to get off 3 pointers when they are guarded by taller defenders.  Unless they are 6'8" Dalton Knecht, they need to offset their height deficit with step back, side step off a screen, quick release, over your head release point, jump & release at your high point, etc.  When Holloway shoots 3's, he steps forward, releases the ball in front of him (hands forward, not over head), he is more smooth than quick and he does not release at his high point, instead using his upward motion to help push the ball.   Unless Holloway changes that shooting style a lot, he will continue to have trouble due to his smallish stature.  Other points about Holloway; he is not as quick as I would expect for someone with his slight build and he doesn't fight through screens very well.  He needs a little KD Johnson or Jared Harper DNA.  Fortunately for him, he is still very young and has time to develop his style. IMO, Pearl gave him a very generous amount of playing time this year, more than he would have received from a lot of coaches at this level

His footwork on those shots were also generationally bad. I know he practiced a lot of off the dribble and off base shots, but it quickly became his preferred way of shootingthis year. 

On 4/12/2024 at 1:12 PM, CCTAU said:

The good thing is if his three is off, he has a pretty quick move to the basket.

Which we haven't had on a consistent basis at the PG since Harper. That was the first thing in his game I noticed.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3