Who is the best Auburn fb coach in history ?

22 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Same could be said of Tommy's record without having to deal with Saban.  It took a lot more to compete once Saban had it going.  I actually place Gus ahead of Chizik simply because I don't believe we win that championship without Gus being OC. 

Good point. For all his failings, Gus played Saban as well as anyone and better than most.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I swiped this since it is slow.

Pat Dye 4 SEC titles.
Tuberville was good.
Chizik only coach ever to win a national title and not have a winning record.

Can't be Shug Jordan he won 1 SEC title in 25 years as head coach. When he did win it in 57 Auburn was on probation and did not even play in a bowl game.

Personally I think it is Coach Dye. what about you folks?

Gus

Tubs

Chiz

Cadillac

Dye

FS boy

Potato boy

In that order.

I'm not as old as a lot of you. Only remember Dye as that guy who got a crazy talented Auburn team ineligible by cheating. 🤷‍♂️

Still better than those other two though :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Gus

Tubs

Chiz

Cadillac

Dye

FS boy

Potato boy

In that order.

I'm not as old as a lot of you. Only remember Dye as that guy who got a crazy talented Auburn team ineligible by cheating. 🤷‍♂️

Still better than those other two though :lol: 

Sorry man, but age has nothing to do with it.   Putting any of those names before Dye is completely misguided.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

So much I could say about those times but you so right............

He said you were a “decent” young frat brother. Best coach ever is a toss up here but leans Coach Jordan. Don’t know that Coach Dye could have accomplished what he did without Shug as a predecessor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Harsin.  Loved that guy.  

Somebody has been into @augolf1716's PBR stash...

• Haha 1

I was born in 82 so I can’t speak on Shug.  He had good years but he also had a lot of subpar years.  If he was hired as Auburn’s coach today I’m not sure how long he’d make it.  
1) Dye - he started the tradition of laying an egg in one game every year that probably cost him a chance at 1-2 nattys.  Still the most consistently successful coach in the last 40 years.
2) Tubbs - very similar to Dyes run in my opinion.  2004-2006 were 3 really good teams.  Dominated top 5 teams.  Beat Bama 6 straight times.  Could be argued that he was stubborn and lazy.  Probably should have played for a Natty in 2004 and cost Auburn another shot with the loss to 6-5 UGA in 2006.  

3) Gus - Natty as an assistant, Coached for a Natty in year 1.  Recruited top 10-15 level classes consistently.  Lack of NFL development and skills for Olinemen ultimately ruined his offense strategy and sent him into mediocrity 

4) Chiz - won the Natty and that’s it.  

5) Tater Tot - 21 straight wins to start his coaching tenure probably won’t be beat.  Flamed out similar to Chiz.  

we all know who the worst coach is….

• Thanks 1

Depends on what you consider "best" 

Best leader: Shug or Dye

Best recruiter: Freeze

Best gameday coach: Bowden

Best ineffective play designer: Gus

Best program destroyer: Hasbeen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2 more

Best politician: Tubs

Best 1 year job: Tubs 2004

• Like 2

Shug and Pat are 1a and 1b, I personally think Shug should be 1a because he brought us the first SEC  and national title as well as the first Heisman.  Mike Donohue is next.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

2 more

Seems like best 1 year job has to go to Chiz or Bowden to me.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Seems like best 1 year job has to go to Chiz or Bowden to me.

How about:

The Best 20 game stretch: Bowden

Making the best of a unbelievable athlete to fall in your lap: tie Chiz and Gus (Chiz did win a NC off of his so I guess I would lean towards Chiz)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

How about:

The Best 20 game stretch: Bowden

Making the best of a unbelievable athlete to fall in your lap: tie Chiz and Gus (Chiz did win a NC off of his so I guess I would lean towards Chiz)

The coach that made the best of athletes falling in their lap was Terry Bowden. Dye recruited them all. But for all his shortcomings ( pun intended ) Bowden was the best in game play caller we ever had . If he had been Pat's OC we would have been gold. I know. He would NEVER have been Coach Dye's OC. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:52 PM, aubaseball said:

Sorry man, but age has nothing to do with it.   Putting any of those names before Dye is completely misguided.   

Have your first season as an AU fan going to and reading/talking about the games, .....and Auburn winning every dang one.

But also on a TV ban and ineligible for SEC championship.

You might change your mind. ;) 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Have your first season as an AU fan going to and reading/talking about the games, .....and Auburn winning every dang one.

Nope. Actually read what AU was acused of , and realize that Dye was not implicated in those charges, and then know where they came from ......it was for freaking food . Now we got generational wealth. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Nope. Actually read what AU was acused of , and realize that Dye was not implicated in those charges, and then know where they came from ......it was for freaking food . Now we got generational wealth. 

food was part of it, also money and cars/parts.

Dye was never fully proven to be one of the coaches handing out the cash, but was implicated strongly. Dye always denied it, claiming his fault in it was simple negligence.

And it very well could have been. But again, that's all a moot point to a kid.

I made the list earlier tongue in cheek cause I know what he did for Auburn, I understand his accomplishments.

But man, if you wanna talk about a personal experience being soured... that first season for me was it. :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

food was part of it, also money and cars/parts.

Dye was never fully proven to be one of the coaches handing out the cash, but was implicated strongly. Dye always denied it, claiming his fault in it was simple negligence.

And it very well could have been. But again, that's all a moot point to a kid.

I made the list earlier tongue in cheek cause I know what he did for Auburn, I understand his accomplishments.

But man, if you wanna talk about a personal experience being soured... that first season for me was it. :lol: 

Yep. You are young. If you'd have experienced the years before Dye.... You would be permanently soured. 😆

• Haha 1

Dye - 71% game record, 72% bowl record

Bowden - 73% game record, 67% bowl record

Tubs - 68% game record, 63% bowl record (2004 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! And all those wins over Bama!)

I love Shug as a coach and as a man and as a great representative of Auburn. If I had to pick my *favorite* coach, it would be Shug. But he was not the best IMO in regards to outcomes.

Posted (edited)

Comparing coaching eras is ambitious, and having NO dedicated home town/state Auburn media base is an issue not facing many coaches elsewhere. Lots not being posted here - during his burnout slide Malzahn still beat #1 twice in 3 weeks & outcoached Saban more than once in the Ironbowl. Dye's recruiting from nothing & judgment in dropping wishbone for one, promising player (Bo). Shug's precancer, world class recruiting ability for 20 years. Donahue is THE one that put Auburn on the football map. Tator Tot was a phenomenal game day coach (vs dreadful recruiting) for two seasons. Tubbs was often terrific but created some of his own bad luck. Not a Chizik-as-coach fan (great guy though) - right place at right time. Cliff Hare was Fielding Yost, but an academics-first guy. 

Our Mt. Rushmore is Gus or Tubbs, Dye, Shug & Donahue.

For youngsters whining "it was before my time," did they teach y'all to read history books in school?

Edited by aucanucktiger

On 5/1/2024 at 3:19 PM, ellitor said:

2 more

Gotta give Gus best 1 year job after the disaster that was 2012.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 7:41 PM, Mims44 said:

Between the Dye stuff and the Cam stuff, you’ll find my seething hatred for the NCAA. Auburn should’ve been in trouble for the violations. But the punishment we received did not fit the crime. The bulk of the allegations were about a coach giving a player’s family food. That was the only thing that there was ever evidence of. Everything else was hearsay. The sanctions and Dye getting forced out were completely nonsensical. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mike Donahue had the second best winning percentage Mike was a great coach. Plus he seldom lost to frickin Tech

Mike Donahue 18 1904-06, '08-22 99-35-5 .730

How bout good old Earl Brown getting a mention.....Shug took over after him

Earl Brown 3 1948-50 3-22-4 .172

On 5/1/2024 at 1:53 PM, bigbird said:

I understand it’s a different game today but we agree on Bowden and can you imagine what he could do on Saturdays with the talent Freeze is collecting? 

IMG_1248.gif

• Like 1

I know Dye was before a lot of people’s time but you had to live it to realize what a chokehold Bear had on the state of Alabama. Dye had the toughness to go up against the Red Elephant Club- with Bear retiring Auburn became the team to beat in the SEC. The bammers were not happy and facilitated the whole Eric Ramsey fiasco with Donald Watkins as the ring leader. Dye wasn’t doing anything that Bear hadn’t done for years but the high roller bammers were behind Auburn going on probation. I never blamed Dye for the probation as he was up against a machine in Alabama. All of this made all of his accomplishments even more impressive. Dye will forever be my favorite AU coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1