Brad Lester

AFTiger

Lester climbs AU depth chart

Collin Mickle  / Staff Writer

September 27, 2005

The Auburn University coaching staff looked at the Tigers’ just-completed three-week run against overmatched opponents as an opportunity to get better.

Mission accomplished.

The coaches also saw the stretch - against Mississippi State, Ball State and Division I-AA Western Kentucky - as an opportunity to firm up the depth chart and find reliable rotations at several positions, as well as a chance to give some younger players valuable experience.

Few, if any, of AU’s backups took more advantage of those three weeks of opportunity better than redshirt freshman tailback Brad Lester. Lester, who finished spring practice fourth on AU’s depth chart at tailback and missed practice time in the preseason with hamstring troubles, has exploded up the depth chart in the last few weeks.

Lester has run for 189 yards and three touchdowns in the last three games, and also scored on a 93-yard kickoff return against Ball State and a 38-yard reception against WKU. Those are impressive totals, especially considering he didn’t record a carry in AU’s season-opening loss to Georgia Tech.

He had his biggest day yet Saturday against Western Kentucky, gaining 64 yards on 10 carries and adding the receiving touchdown, his first career catch. That performance earned him offensive player of the week honors this week.

His play this season has enabled Lester to lay a firm claim to the Tigers’ No. 2 tailback spot behind starter Kenny Irons, who also began the season in the bottom half of the depth chart. The Irons-Lester combination has been very productive the last three weeks, and Auburn’s coaches are looking forward to seeing what the two can do Saturday against South Carolina.

“I think we all feel good about how we’re running the football and who’s running the football,” Borges said. “The one thing about what Kenny and Brad bring to the table is that they hit it hard, they hit the hole full speed. There’s no feeling your way through.”

That hard-nosed style fits especially well with Borges’ offense, which emphasizes running decisively, rather than dancing in the backfield in search of a big play.

“We’re a big zone-blocking team and we like guys who want to slash that thing in there for positive yards,” Borges said. “Kenny and Brad are that kind of guys. They aren’t real big guys, but they don’t play like they are small.”

Auburn-Opelika news

I agree with the Irons / Lester 1-2 punch 100%! I hate it for Tre, as I like him a lot and think he's got great drive, but you have to play the guys getting results.

I agree with the Irons / Lester 1-2 punch 100%!  I hate it for Tre, as I like him a lot and think he's got great drive, but you have to play the guys getting results.

184422[/snapback]

I agree with everything you say. I believe the Irons/Lester combo will combine for one of the quickest/fastest SEC rushing attacks this year. Hopefully the abilities of these athletes will create big plays for us further down the road.

That's what I am talking about! Boy, I sure do remember a few people dumping on my posts about Lester when I bragged about his first few carries of the season. <_< You know who you are. :P:lol:

Archived