I'll say it...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

I’ll say it, much to the chagrin of some of my fellow Auburn people, but I’ll say it. Some of you are thinking it, but don’t want to say it. So, I’ll take the heat for all of us that believe what I am about to say.

The corndog taunt is lame.

I know that the “original†post occurred at ITAT early in 2003, but is it even original? I have heard rumors that it was originally written about Iowa or Nebraska or Oklahoma State fans, but I have been unable to find the documentation to substantiate such claims. Google and Ask Jeeves have failed me.

I know that many of you love it to the point that we have smilies that are larger than scale corndogs. Even in the past, I have called an LSU fan a corndog. I have tried not to do so in the recent past. I don’t fault any of you for it, but at the same time I cannot endorse it.

It makes no sense to me and has no basis in reality, at least in my experiences. The clever taunts have a root in the real world, not something that does not apply to a majority of the fanbase. I spent years living among the LSU faithful and I never equated them with corndogs. Hard living, hard drinking Cajuns that smelled a little like bourbon, yes. Corndogs, no. Can we start calling them Jim Beams?

Maybe there is some deeper meaning or humor there that I just don’t get. It might be like Napoleon Dynamite, funny, but you really aren’t sure why. Maybe I am just not hip or “down with itâ€Â. I don’t know. I just felt a need to get all this off my chest.

I apologize to all my fellow Auburn people that I am sure will disagree with me and to any LSU fan that I have called a corndog in the past. I extend the corndog stick of peace in your direction.

Now let’s go down there and kick their rears all the way to Lake Charles.

I’ll say it, much to the chagrin of some of my fellow Auburn people, but I’ll say it.  Some of you are thinking it, but don’t want to say it.  So, I’ll take the heat for all of us that believe what I am about to say.

The corndog taunt is lame. 

I know that the “original†post occurred at ITAT early in 2003, but is it even original?  I have heard rumors that it was originally written about Iowa or Nebraska or Oklahoma State fans, but I have been unable to find the documentation to substantiate such claims.  Google and Ask Jeeves have failed me.

I know that many of you love it to the point that we have smilies that are larger than scale corndogs.  Even in the past, I have called an LSU fan a corndog.  I have tried not to do so in the recent past.  I don’t fault any of you for it, but at the same time I cannot endorse it. 

It makes no sense to me and has no basis in reality, at least in my experiences.  The clever taunts have a root in the real world, not something that does not apply to a majority of the fanbase.  I spent years living among the LSU faithful and I never equated them with corndogs.  Hard living, hard drinking Cajuns that smelled a little like bourbon, yes.  Corndogs, no.  Can we start calling them Jim Beams? 

Maybe there is some deeper meaning or humor there that I just don’t get.  It might be like Napoleon Dynamite, funny, but you really aren’t sure why.  Maybe I am just not hip or “down with itâ€Â.  I don’t know.  I just felt a need to get all this off my chest. 

I apologize to all my fellow Auburn people that I am sure will disagree with me and to any LSU fan that I have called a corndog in the past.  I extend the corndog stick of peace in your direction. 

Now let’s go down there and kick their rears all the way to Lake Charles.

190208[/snapback]

I never really found the relevance to this taunt either, but then again i dont have the elder knowledge of TM :P

Well, I think it's kind of funny. It's just funny to say "corndog" and to call someone "corndog" only makes it better. I actually went to several message boards of fans who were rumored to have "originally" started the corndog moniker for their rival and not a soul had heard of it. Only reference I've ever found is the ITAT thing on LSU fans.

I've been thinking of changing my references to them to the "Fighting Nutria." Seems more appropo.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Dude, he just called you old.  In the nicest possible way, mind you.

190213[/snapback]

Old age, experience and cunning trumps youth, energy and ambition every time.

I have never really understood it either, but to tell you the truth it doesn't bother any LSU fan simply because it makes absolutley no sense.

I have read the original once and it was written by a Nebraska fan about one of their rivals (can't remember who). I guess an AU fan found it and just subsituted LSU for the other team....the rest of the article was the exact same. I will admit the original was funny because it was "original", but the LSU version was not, thus making it not really funny,.......just LAME!

But again it doesn't bother me or any other LSU fan that I know.

The only reason it stuck wasn't because of the truth of it....but it was because LSU fans got so mad about it.

190217[/snapback]

there isn't one LSU fan that I know that was "mad" about it......maybe there were some, I dunno???? If you get mad at that, you have some VERY thin skin.

T-Major, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. It's just a nickname. And yeah, I do find it to be hilarious just because it makes no sense. For whatever reason, it's stuck to them now, like... well, like the scent of corndog grease in your clothes after eating at a mall food court. What else do we call them? Can't be Cajuns - taken. Can't be coonasses - not totally applicable, since BR is not in Acadiana. Can't be Tigers... uh, taken. Can't be nutria - not everyone knows what that is. Can't be crawdads... that makes even less sense than corndogs. Can't be drunken rednecks - that's too close to the truth.

Seriously... you are a creative type - what would you suggest??

T-Major, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.  It's just a nickname.  And yeah, I do find it to be hilarious just because it makes no sense.  For whatever reason, it's stuck to them now, like... well, like the scent of corndog grease in your clothes after eating at a mall food court.  What else do we call them?  Can't be Cajuns - taken.  Can't be coonasses - not totally applicable, since BR is not in Acadiana.  Can't be Tigers... uh, taken.  Can't be nutria - not everyone knows what that is.  Can't be crawdads... that makes even less sense than corndogs.  Can't be drunken rednecks - that's too close to the truth. 

190222[/snapback]

It would have been funnier if it was original. The fact that it was just copied, makes it so not funny, its not even funny......does that make sense?? :D

T-Major, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.  It's just a nickname.  And yeah, I do find it to be hilarious just because it makes no sense.  For whatever reason, it's stuck to them now, like... well, like the scent of corndog grease in your clothes after eating at a mall food court.  What else do we call them?  Can't be Cajuns - taken.  Can't be coonasses - not totally applicable, since BR is not in Acadiana.  Can't be Tigers... uh, taken.  Can't be nutria - not everyone knows what that is.  Can't be crawdads... that makes even less sense than corndogs.  Can't be drunken rednecks - that's too close to the truth. 

190222[/snapback]

It would have been funnier if it was original. The fact that it was just copied, makes it so not funny, its not even funny......does that make sense?? :D

190226[/snapback]

It was rumored to have been about Missouri fans. I went to multiple Missouri and Nebraska boards and no one had ever heard of such a thing.

there isn't one LSU fan that I know that was "mad" about it......maybe there were some, I dunno???? If you get mad at that, you have some VERY thin skin.

190221[/snapback]

No one I know personally gives a rats ass either that I know from LSU

But the Internet LSU fans that I have seen went nuts over it went it first came out. I mean, remember the retort on TigerForums about it?

Seems the more LSU fans talk about it, the more AU and others will bring it up.

If LSU fans hadnt said or talked about it, the thing would have just died down.

190213[/snapback]

190218[/snapback]

:o TM knows its all in good fun, i mean, he is my endless resource of knowledge when i get stuck :D

Guest Tigrinum Major

190222[/snapback]

I knew you would be one of the ones to disagree with me. That isn't meant as a dig. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion, especially given your title.

Personally, I prefer the "Fighting Nutria" as Titan suggested. It is just obscure and relative enough to be clever. It takes a little bit of intelligence to know just what the hell one is talking about.

But, now that you have thrown down the gauntlet, I will have to dedicate my evening to developing a new taunt. Maybe I can even try it out this weekend!

Hard to find anything original.

Auburn folks have to shrug off converted Aggie jokes which are converted _______ (name some ethnic slam) jokes, and on and on.

The best slurs/jokes are those that have some specificity. Like when Auburn blocked the Bama punts and the ensuing joke about Bryant having his hat cleaned and the cleaners clerk asked if he wanted it blocked and Bryant punched the guy in the mouth.

Well, here is what I would say....type in "corndog" and this is what you would get....

http://www.tigerforums.com/search.php?searchid=64992

A lot of threads  :o

190239[/snapback]

thats what i did, i just posted one of the threads that the original "corndog thing" was brought up.

I will agree that its mentioned a lot on TF.com but in a joking manner.....I wouldn't say LSU fans are anywhere close to mad about it.

I knew you would be one of the ones to disagree with me.  That isn't meant as a dig.  And you are certainly entitled to your opinion, especially given your title.

Personally, I prefer the "Fighting Nutria" as Titan suggested.  It is just obscure and relative enough to be clever.  It takes a little bit of intelligence to know just what the hell one is talking about. 

But, now that you have thrown down the gauntlet, I will have to dedicate my evening to developing a new taunt.  Maybe I can even try it out this weekend!

190235[/snapback]

I didn't take it as a dig, and I am not disagreeing with you - I am just saying that we all jumped on Corndog for lack of anything better. The bammers make it so easy - crimson turd, spuat, loser... the list goes on. But LSU? Not so easy. So give me something else and I will be HAPPY to make it part of my vocab. ;)

And from what I understand, "Fighting Nutria" may not be much of a slam - nutria can be viscious little b******s when cornered. :big:

So consider the gauntlet thrown!!!!

Look, the fact that some random somebody thought a LSU fan smelt like a corn dog is hillarious to me. I dont know if it came from other teams or not, but calling someone a corn dog just has some type of "family guy" humor if you think about," how the hell this came to be."

I dont think its classless, just some stupid humor that a couple of people get aggravated with.

I will agree that its mentioned a lot on TF.com but in a joking manner.....I wouldn't say LSU fans are anywhere close to mad about it.

190246[/snapback]

Annoyed would be a better word then....if it didnt annoy you all...it wouldnt be talked about so much.

Look, the fact that some random somebody thought a LSU fan smelt like a corn dog is hillarious to me.  I dont know if it came from other teams or not, but calling someone a corn dog just has some type of "family guy" humor if you think about," how the hell this came to be."

I dont think its classless, just some stupid humor that a couple of people get aggravated with.

190257[/snapback]

I agree, I don't find it classless either.....its exactly what you called it "stupid humor" and you will find that LSU fans joke about just as much as AU fans do.

Look, the fact that some random somebody thought a LSU fan smelt like a corn dog is hillarious to me.  I dont know if it came from other teams or not, but calling someone a corn dog just has some type of "family guy" humor if you think about," how the hell this came to be."

190257[/snapback]

I agree, I don't find it classless either.....its exactly what you called it "stupid humor" and you will find that LSU fans joke about just as much as AU fans do.

190275[/snapback]

There is a local radio host that calls UL-Lafayette the Fightin Perch so I doubt your nutria barb will catch on.

Look to be honest with you all, the only LSU people who are even aware of corndog are the ones who frequent message boards. Most LSU fans I know that don't visit boards will look at you confused if you bring it up. We asked around at a tailgate two years ago and the straw poll was Hunh? or What? with the clear advantage.

You can call us whatever makes you happy, WarChickens. :roflol: It doesn't really matter to anyone outside of the intarnets.

You guys have a good trip if you are coming down. Should be clear and cool at gametime. Hope your team plays well and we win by 50.

:corndog::lsu:

190213[/snapback]

190218[/snapback]

Ahh, but give a young man a problem without telling him there is no solution and he may surprise you...

Archived