Auburn recruiting Ex UT QB

Tiger1992

http://www.al.com/auburn/mobileregister/in...9800.xml&coll=3

Anyone have any opinions on this? We've already got three young QB's on scholarship, and we're looking good with Caudle and Ensminger. I'd hate for one of those two to shy away from us because we're going after Schaeffer.

Thoughts?

http://www.al.com/auburn/mobileregister/in...9800.xml&coll=3

Anyone have any opinions on this?  We've already got three young QB's on scholarship, and we're looking good with Caudle and Ensminger.  I'd hate for one of those two to shy away from us because we're going after Schaeffer.

Thoughts?

194662[/snapback]

My personal feeling is that Ensminger is not going to play QB for us. Just my feeling and it may be really off base. I think there is also some heavy questions concerning Caudle's ruggedness or health however you want to term it. So I guess to answer your question I don't have a problem with it but I think it will be a moot point because we won't get him. I don't feel like he is going to be very open to coming in and riding the pine and being back in the situation he was going to be in at

:ut: Brandon has shown that he is durable and progressing quickly in the offense and with that in mind I feel like he will shy away from us.

Saniflush, I totally disagree with you. I believe that Ensminger has the tools to be an outstanding QB if he gains weight, arm strength, and speed. He was raised around football and knows the game. However, it could be a real battle between him and Caudle.

As for BS, I would certainly be interested in talking with Phat Phil before offering him. It seems that I recall something about an attitude problem. Just wondering! If there are no problems (which we certainly don't need) then I say go after him and let him compete... Just remember, Bammer has Croyle, Guillion, John Parker Wilson, and are recruiting Smelley and Tebow. Seems THEY can never have enough...... :cheer::au:

Saniflush, I totally agree with you ... :cheer:   :au:

194668[/snapback]

Wow... Not many times in my life when those words collide in the same sentence! :big:

Saniflush, I totally agree with you ... :cheer:   :au:

194668[/snapback]

Wow... Not many times in my life when those words collide in the same sentence! :big:

194669[/snapback]

Rare indeed, outside of a mental institution anyway.

I would be cautious about jumping on the BS bandwagon. He had his share of off the field difficutlies at UT (fights, not going to class, issues at practice). Keep in mind UT is notorious for allowing players who have off the field problems to hang around. If Phil cut him loose you've got to wonder. Maybe Phil didn't think they would need him since Ainge is actually Peyton Manning in disguise :lol:

Rare indeed, outside of a mental institution anyway.

194672[/snapback]

Pot calling kettle, pot calling kettle...Come in kettle! :poke:

Maybe he turns out to be kind of like Dunn, who had problems, but coaches saw a change in him and gave him a shot. Dunno, he is for sure talented and would be an asset to AU.

All the news that I heard about him from last year was that he was trying to transfer midway through the season. He was saying that there was problems within the UT program and he wanted out.

My opinion is that it's never a bad thing to have a QB coming in who already has SEC playing experience.

How could it hurt bringing him into the program? Everyone knows that Tubberville doesnt put up with misbehaivor. He could be a valuable part of the Auburn football team.

How could it hurt bringing him into the program? Everyone knows that Tubberville doesnt put up with misbehaivor. He could be a valuable part of the Auburn football team.

194699[/snapback]

That was my thought concerning the discipline aspect of this. CTT has never put up with trouble makers. One of the main reasons IMO that our program has come so far from where it was.

One thing is for sure, if he were to sign with AU, the coaches would feel good about his QB skills AND maybe more importantly, his ATTITUDE. I don't remember any of the problems he may have had at UT, but if he wants to turn things around and have a chance to play in the SEC, AUBURN could be the place for him. But I don't see anyone knocking Brandon Cox out of first team QB any time soon.

If I'm not mistaken, (and I often am) I believe some of his off the field problems stemmed from him trying to take up another sport. Seems I recall him taking a baseball bat to someone, or at least trying to. :P

He's definitely a great athlete, no doubt. Never hurts to have more than your share of those on the team.

Just remember, Bammer has Croyle, Guillion, John Parker Wilson, and are recruiting Smelley and Tebow. Seems THEY can never have enough...... :cheer:   :au:

194668[/snapback]

But also remember, Brodie's gone after this year. Gullion hasn't shown much when he's played. JP Wilson is unproven (but hopefully doesn't have any more legal/alcohol problems). Any college would be foolish to not go after Tebow if they had a real shot. And Smelley is a fall-back in case Tebow has the good sense to go elsewhere. So they aren't really that flush with QB's.

I don't think we're going to be hurting for the next 2-3 years, with Brandon looking great, Blake Fields handled himself well as back-up in the W. Kentucky game, and Ensminger & Caudle look like very good signs. My gut reaction would be to use the scholarship elsewhere for now. We can always go after other QB's next year after having a chance to evaluate Ensminger & Caudle once their on board.

But I'm no coach and if CTT & Co. think Schaeffer has the character to be an Auburn Tiger and we can use him, then I'll support their decision. They have certainly proven to be good judges of what makes an "Auburn" man.

Saniflush, I totally disagree with you. I believe that Ensminger has the tools to be an outstanding QB if he gains weight, arm strength, and speed. He was raised around football and knows the game. However, it could be a real battle between him and Caudle.

ensminger may turn out to be ok but i think this applies to every high school qb, those are a lot of ifs.

I believe the coaches should be concerned about his off the field problems. He had a run-in with the police in Knoxville when he and a WR beat up a guy that had been talking to his girlfriend. CTT has had such a great track record so far with his team discipline that no matter how good an athlete he is, they have to consider whether or not it would be worth the risk.

:big:

Possible that he may be recruited as a player and not a qb?

Anyway, I just do't think he will come to AU. Too much depth at qb and more on the way. :au::cheer:

Saniflush, I totally disagree with you. I believe that Ensminger has the tools to be an outstanding QB if he gains weight, arm strength, and speed. He was raised around football and knows the game.  However, it could be a real battle between him and Caudle.

Like I said I may be wrong. I know when I saw him play last year I wasn't OVERLY impressed with what I saw or what I have been told since. I may be totally off base and I hope I am. I believe that he will help our program in some respect because we would not have signed him if that was not going to be the case. I think CTT has shown that he understands that friendship is friendship but business is business.

Sometimes adversity such as being dismissed from UT (has that ever happened before?) can help a troubled kid. I'm sure that if CTT has offered him, he is satisfied that he deserves a fresh start. The atmosphere at AU is certainly not the same as at UT and that alone could make a difference.

BS is certainly a gifted athlete; he should be a Junior next year, same as BC. I see nothing wrong with having a backup QB with a serious set of wheels in case something ever does happen to Brandon and he is out a week or two. Field performed capably in his start against WKy, but even two good QB's are not necessarly enough. Having plays where BS is on the field in some other capacity than QB could also open lots of options for play calling, decoys and such. If he has his act together, I would love to see him in orange and blue next season!

Good points True. From the little I saw of him last year in the AU game and a couple of others on TV, the kid looked very raw but very fast. Reminded me a bit of Shockley. Last year, Shockley came in against us and didn't do much, but the one thing that amazed me was how fast the guy was. We had him dead to rights in the back field a couple of times and he took off like a rabbit. Schaeffer looked like the same type athlete. Hey, you can never have too many of those.

Possible that he may be recruited as a player and not a qb?

Anyway, I just do't think he will come to AU. Too much depth at qb and more on the way :au: . :cheer

Possibly a WR. It shouldn't matter though; I don't see him coming to Auburn with the depth and looking at possibly being moved from QB. He is an excellent athlete no doubt about that.

If TT truly wants him it is strictly for depth. Remember we signed Kecly (?) Luke out of Phenix City AL who was a pretty good QB, but left the beginning of his sophomore year because he was not named back up to Jason. It would indicate that TT would have like to have 2 QB on the same progression elgibility wise. Who know. I don't see the kid coming with a solidified starting QB with 2 years of elgibility left after this year.

He would still have the ability to redshirt a year once he got here, means he would be the starter his Redshirt SR. year.

Mixed on this, wasn't really impressed with him from what I saw and he does have a troubled history from his time at UT. Now he might have straightned it up and is the perfect citizen at the JUCO his is at now. Sure the staff is watching that. Like most have said, Tuberville doesn't let trouble makers hang around, we know it, players know it, and the recruits know it.

At the time, AU was actively recruiting Schaeffer. If I remember correctly, it was between UT & AU for Schaeffer. CTT & staff have a pretty good track record with evaluating players, both talent & character-wise. Schaeffer may have just run in with a bad crowd up there. (I mean, what are the odds of THAT happening at UT? :no: ) If CTT thinks getting Schaeffer to come to AU is worth it, then I'm all for it (forgiveness, 2nd chance & stuff.) :au: WDE

Archived