Is there a limit?

GalensGhost

When a Bama fan tosses their "great recruiting" at me, I have to laugh. It's all I can do. And it's not just Bama fans. Ole Miss fans are raving about the job Orgeron is doing now.

What's funny to me is that if you go back and look at the lists for the last couple of years, you'll see the same guys with big star counts popping up on there year after year after year.

Mike Ford? Gave Bama three stars once and five now. :rolleyes:

Nikita Stover? Making his third appearance in the Tide recruiting rankings? :rolleyes:

Between the two of them, they account for nine rivals stars in the current recruiting class. :lol:

Before you start moaning, bama friends, those aren't the only two. There are more. I'm just giving you guys a break.

When I check Auburn's, the only guy I see that carries over from one year to the next, from 03 to 06 is Greg Smith.

Maybe smoke, mirrors and more smoke is the way to do it. Just remember the next time that a Bammer crows about recruiting, it's what actually gets to the field that counts.

Bingo Ghost. uaters use the same "math" to count stars as they use to count MNCs.

At least we know they can count to ELEVEN. :D

WDE! :au:

When a Bama fan tosses their "great recruiting" at me, I have to laugh. It's all I can do.   And it's not just Bama fans.  Ole Miss fans are raving about the job Orgeron is doing now.

What's funny to me is that if you go back and look at the lists for the last couple of years, you'll see the same guys with big star counts popping up on there year after year after year. 

Mike Ford? Gave Bama three stars once and five now.   :rolleyes:

Nikita Stover? Making his third appearance in the Tide recruiting rankings?  :rolleyes:

Between the two of them, they account for nine rivals stars in the current recruiting class.  :lol:

Before you start moaning, bama friends, those aren't the only two. There are more. I'm just giving you guys a break.

When I check Auburn's, the only guy I see that carries over from one year to the next, from 03 to 06 is Greg Smith. 

Maybe smoke, mirrors and more smoke is the way to do it.  Just remember the next time that a Bammer crows about recruiting, it's what actually gets to the field that counts.

213022[/snapback]

There you go again. Not letting facts get in the way of a good discussion.

1) Mike Ford - WRONG WRONG WRONG

Last year mike was a FOUR star and ranked 17th in the nation. Would have been higher but his grades held him back

2) Nikita Stover didnt make his grades two years ago and went to JUCO. Which means this is his SECOND appearance in our rankings

I dont know why its such a tough concept to grasp. When a guy goes to juco or prep school...their recruitment is reopened and they are no longer bound to their original letter of intent. It happens every single year. Some guy signs with a team out of high school...goes juco...and signs with a different school (see chris browder's switch from bama to AU after juco). So they SHOULD count again because they had to be RERECRUITED

And some kids show more talent when they leave high school and play juco or prep (see mike ford tearing it up at hargrave)

Hell Greg Smith was a 2 star when he first signed with AU and now is a FIVE star.

Since Nikita was a 4 and is now a 4...and ford was a 4 and now a 5...i see only a 1 star improvement as opposed to Auburn's 3 star improvement.

And as long as their system is consistent i dont understand the problem. I mean its not like they are letting them count for Bama but not everyone else.

It is sad that bg has gotten his panties into such a recruiting "bunch" that he is forced to use profanity. :rolleyes:

Oh well. :D

BG, I understand your points with regards to the guys showing up a second time, because they are fair game.

However, let me ask you another question?

All we have heard for the last three years is how AU is playing on an unlevel playing field because of scholarship restriction. AU fans have heard that ad nauseum from you people. Why would CMS, knowing he has a reduced number of scholarships, offer so many scholarships to people he knew would never qualify?

Last year, didn't like half of the class fail to qualify? I'm sure it only seemed like that many, but shouldn't someone who is working at a disadvantage go after someone who can help as opposed to making the situation worse for himself?

Maybe its just me, but that kind of logic is why Mike Shula has taken UA about as far as they can go. Good luck if you think you will ever have another ten win season

Well, this is the second year in a row we are honoring greyshirts so that means for the last two years we oversigned and didn't have enough scholarships to give out. Yes, there was some non-qualifiers, which is the reason Bama oversigned so many. Shula's logic of oversigning so many, which MANY people on this site blasted him for, paid off big time.

Shula isn't doing as badly as some of you make out. Through his first three years, his record is very comparable to Tuberville's first three at AU. Maybe a 2-3 game difference.

not sure what Shula's record is in his three years...BUT, i do know that the year before he got there UAT was 10-3 according to their official site... 2003 and beyond is not there yet....not sure why, or maybe i looked in the wrong place.

The year before tuberville got to Auburn we were 3-8....huge difference wouldn't you say???

not sure what Shula's record is in his three years...BUT, i do know that the year before he got there UAT was 10-3 according to their official site... 2003 and beyond is not there yet....not sure why, or maybe i looked in the wrong place.

The year before tuberville got to Auburn we were 3-8....huge difference wouldn't you say???

213097[/snapback]

That was also bama heading IN to probation...not coming out of it. Similar to the 93 AU team...they didnt see the hurt until they were well into probation. Come on, you know better pcola :P

but, the first two years of our probation that started in 1993...we were 20-1-1....

shula was????

granted probation hurt us later on..no doubt.....but don't forget the other handicap we had.... Bowden was our head coach and all we got was daddy bowdens rejects...thugs that didn't quite have enough arrests to play at FSU :lol::lol:

MY opinion only, but many here may agree, I don't know, but I believe that Bowden being our head coach and his inability to recruit hurt us a lot worse than the probation did....Hell, even with scholarship reductions, he still should have been able to find a decent running back... :P:P

Shula didn't even have a spring practice his first year. I'm not too sure that Tuberville came into a worse situation.

This is flipper's last season @ uat. The good old boys will not allow him to go 0-5 vs Coach Tubs. :D

Don't get me wrong. I wish they would give him a lifetime contract. B)

This is flipper's last season @ uat. The good old boys will not allow him to go 0-5 vs Coach Tubs. :D

213104[/snapback]

i really do to....in fact I think Auburn ought to offer to pay his contract to keep him there... after all its already tommy tuberville field.... :big::big:

213104[/snapback]

You said that at the beginning of this year when you projected us to go 6-5.

Please forgive me if I dont take your prognostications related to bama football seriously.

I dont know why its such a tough concept to grasp. When a guy goes to juco or prep school...their recruitment is reopened and they are no longer bound to their original letter of intent. It happens every single year. Some guy signs with a team out of high school...goes juco...and signs with a different school (see chris browder's switch from bama to AU after juco). So they SHOULD count again because they had to be RERECRUITED

Well, in all fairness to BG's point here, I have to toss in two words: Brandon Jacobs. He committed to us out of high school, but we got big credit on the recruiting boards for him again when he came to us after juco (...and then very little from him on the field behind Carnell & Ronnie).

Well crap. I could have sworn Ford was three and then five. He was when I looked yesterday. Do you own the rivals board? Did you change that on me.

Could have been wrong about Stover being on their three times, there were just so many of them that are on there year after year, I could have lost count. It's possible.

Maybe Auburn should count Brandon Cox twice. He was there, left school and came back. I think every player should be counted every year because theoretically, they COULD leave every summer and go home for good.

Point is (and remains) that "rankings" are ridiculous. Count what's actually there. When four or five of the top ones disappear, then the great ranking folks were bandying about like a victory banner really goes in the toilet.

In actual vs. phantom recruiting, AU has destroyed Bama over the last four or five years. Yet all I hear from Bama fans is how badly they've kicked Auburn's butt. You see, BG, there's that concept of reality again. It doesn't fit well with the UA mindset.

Point is (and remains) that "rankings" are ridiculous.  Count what's actually there. When four or five of the top ones disappear, then the great ranking folks were bandying about like a victory banner really goes in the toilet.

In actual vs. phantom recruiting, AU has destroyed Bama over the last four or five years.  Yet all I hear from Bama fans is how badly they've kicked Auburn's butt. You see, BG, there's that concept of reality again. It doesn't fit well with the UA mindset.

213185[/snapback]

Recruiting can be a bit rediculous. I started a thread on CrimsonTusks not too long ago.

http://crimsontusks.com/about8045.html&highlight=

It is a Post recruiting ranking system. Of course, it's just my opinion on how these players played. I'd say it's better to rank them after they graduate instead of before they play a game. JMO.

Well crap. I could have sworn Ford was three and then five.  He was when I looked yesterday. Do you own the rivals board? Did you change that on me.

Could have been wrong about Stover being on their three times, there were just so many of them that are on there year after year, I could have lost count.  It's possible.

Maybe Auburn should count Brandon Cox twice.  He was there, left school and came back.  I think every player should be counted every year because theoretically, they COULD leave every summer and go home for good. 

Point is (and remains) that "rankings" are ridiculous.  Count what's actually there. When four or five of the top ones disappear, then the great ranking folks were bandying about like a victory banner really goes in the toilet.

In actual vs. phantom recruiting, AU has destroyed Bama over the last four or five years.  Yet all I hear from Bama fans is how badly they've kicked Auburn's butt. You see, BG, there's that concept of reality again. It doesn't fit well with the UA mindset.

213185[/snapback]

Ive debunked that myth too. Last year or the year before when david was dogging me about all our non quals...i went back and averaged the stars of the guys who actually made it to campus...and we still had a small lead :)

But galen i do see what you are getting at. Rating high school kids is HIGHLY subjective. Highly.

Give me 25 kids who are of good academic status and character...instead of a class full of superstars, half of whom may be head cases or academic casualties.

It would be refreshing to see uat go after kids with character and "good" academic standing. ;)

Recruiting can be a bit rediculous.  I started a thread on CrimsonTusks not too long ago. 

It is a Post recruiting ranking system.  Of course, it's just my opinion on how these players played.  I'd say it's better to rank them after they graduate instead of before they play a game.  JMO.

213201[/snapback]

While I agree with the content of your post -- and you made the point I was trying to make without all the sarcasm, hyperbole and taunting -- I must admit that the design of that site made me physically ill. The web designer should be taken into an alley and beaten with a broom handle.

NOTE: Understand that anything crimson or close to it in hue is banned from my home. No red apples, only green ones. Tomatoes, radishes, red peppers... all banned. The only exception is at Christmas when I grudgingly tolerate Santa's red outfit. About half the Santas we display, however, have been color-corrected and wear navy outfits so that offsets my discomfort somewhat.

Recruiting can be a bit rediculous.  I started a thread on CrimsonTusks not too long ago. 

It is a Post recruiting ranking system.  Of course, it's just my opinion on how these players played.  I'd say it's better to rank them after they graduate instead of before they play a game.  JMO.

213201[/snapback]

While I agree with the content of your post -- and you made the point I was trying to make without all the sarcasm, hyperbole and taunting -- I must admit that the design of that site made me physically ill. The web designer should be taken into an alley and beaten with a broom handle.

NOTE: Understand that anything crimson or close to it in hue is banned from my home. No red apples, only green ones. Tomatoes, radishes, red peppers... all banned. The only exception is at Christmas when I grudgingly tolerate Santa's red outfit. About half the Santas we display, however, have been color-corrected and wear navy outfits so that offsets my discomfort somewhat.

213291[/snapback]

Yeah, I figured you guys wouldn't care much for the site. Lot's of people don't like rivals sites. Just wanted to show where I posted on this idea not long ago.

Can anyone explain why rivals isn't counting Bo Harris with the rest of  :au: 's class?

213261[/snapback]

No I can’t explain that, but Scout is listing him. Rivals has AU with 19 commits & Scout has AU with 20. Maybe they are not counting him since he is headed to JUCO.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=9&c=8&yr=2006

Recruiting Rankings do mean little but I do think they mean something. The usual AP Top 10 finishers are the same ones who are usually in the Rivals/Scout Top 10 rankings. Not everyone but most. I don't think that is a coincidence.

But, then again

Pollack, Greene - 3 Stars

Davis - 1/2 Stars...we battled Grambling or Southern for TD

Archived