Dishonest recruiting?

GalensGhost

Bama fans are calling Auburn and specifically Coach Tuberville for "dishonest recruiting" Here's a sample.

Rudy Odom, redshirted D-Tackle was moved to the OL and quit the team. I've been telling yall about how tubby lies to recruits (about positions, depth charts etc..) and this is proof that it doesn't pay off in the long run. I wonder how long Goggans will stick around when he realizes that the depth chart he was shown didn't include the two blue-chip TE's that were redshirted last season...I'm not gloating. I feel sorry for MG because he was lied to and fell for it.

(The rest of the babble...)

I find this kind of babbling particularly disingenuous coming as it does from fans of a coaching staff that has fraudulently promised at least 18 different kids that they will play quarterback.

For what it's worth, these feebs are also touting Ken Darby as a legitimate Heisman candidate and figuring just where in the second round Brodie will go on this same dismal board.

And to top that, there is also a thread seriously debating how physically similar Mike Shula and Bahr Bryunt are. Uncanny resemblance they say.

They are upset cause during the last 4 years while Alabama was dominating the in state recruiting and getting all the players that Auburn wanted, the Tigers were dominating in late November when it mattered. This year was blasphemey because Bama had the better record than Auburn therefore they should have the better recruiting class....not so according to almost all of the publications. Some Bama boards have now gone into full "Tubby is cheating to get all those players" mode, even to go so far as to make up a rumor about Richt sending a letter about Auburn's recruiting practices. On a different note, I laugh whenever I read or hear about Ken Darby being a serious Heisman canidate, how can he be one when he barely gets 20 carries a game, the o-line will probably be below avg at best and Shula will probably have Wilson throwing 75% of the time.

I find this kind of babbling particularly disingenuous coming as it does from fans of a coaching staff that has fraudulently promised at least 18 different kids that they will play quarterback.

My post is response to this and this alone. The rest I could care less about. Because its all rhetoric which comes from any and all different fans of college football. But, CMS and company have not fraudulently promised 18 kids they will play Q.B. That is a ridiculous statement. In every interview the recruits thinking of or signing with Bama (that have possible Q.B. potential) have said that CMS and crew would give them a look and a fair shot at playing Q.B, if they wanted to persue that route. But no promises were made. Just because you hate Bama and the Bama fan does not mean its right to skew the facts.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say this is coming from the recruitment of Earl Alexander So here are a few quotes from the last six months of his recruiting from him.

"They (Bama) are saying they're going to give me a shot at quarterback," he said. "I would have a fair shot at the quarterback position and if it's not working out, then they have the confidence that I have the ability to move to another position."

"He (CMS) just told me pretty much the same thing as they have been telling me all along. They've got a scholarship for me and they want me to come and be a part of the Alabama team."

"I committed to Alabama because deep down I always knew that is where I wanted to be," Alexander said. "Coach Randolph told me if I come to Alabama I'll have the chance to play early and compete. That is all I can ask for.

"I'll get my first look at quarterback and if that doesn't work out I'll could move to another position and I'm fine with that. I just want to have a shot and I think Alabama gives me a chance to prove myself one way or the other.

1) Consider the source. Likely the four most total :bs: papers in Alabama.

About The Tuscaloosa News | Contact Us | Help | Advertise | Privacy Statement

Other New York Times Regional NewsGroup Alabama sites:

TideSports | TimesDaily | The Gadsden Times

Copyright © 2002 The Tuscaloosa News

2) Tony Bell is leaving due to him not CTT nor any coach. Never let anything like "FACTS" get in the way of a good story. TB's grades were bad last year and that is why he could not practice before the last 2-3 days before the spring game.

3) TB is transferring out with CTT's blessing. IF his grades are as bad as I think they MIGHT be, we need him out and transferred before they fall below the "passing" level due to APR.

4) The staff cant waste too much time on players that are not showing up for class, study hall, nor working out.

SO Goggins is going to transfer out of Auburn just like all our other big time recruits, man, we just cant seem to keep good talent here on the plains....yeah right.

He knew about Gabe and Tommy, even if they werent on the fall depth chart, im sure he had plenty of people talking to him from other schools other than auburn, telling him that there were two redshirt TE ahead of him to get him to not come to Auburn!

My post is response to this and this alone. The rest I could care less about. Because its all rhetoric which comes from any and all different fans of college football. But, CMS and company have not fraudulently promised 18 kids they will play Q.B. That is a ridiculous statement. In every interview the recruits thinking of or signing with Bama (that have possible Q.B. potential) have said that CMS and crew would give them a look and a fair shot at playing Q.B, if they wanted to persue that route. But no promises were made. Just because you hate Bama and the Bama fan does not mean its right to skew the facts.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say this is coming from the recruitment of Earl Alexander So here are a few quotes from the last six months of his recruiting from him.

"They (Bama) are saying they're going to give me a shot at quarterback," he said. "I would have a fair shot at the quarterback position and if it's not working out, then they have the confidence that I have the ability to move to another position."

"He (CMS) just told me pretty much the same thing as they have been telling me all along. They've got a scholarship for me and they want me to come and be a part of the Alabama team."

"I committed to Alabama because deep down I always knew that is where I wanted to be," Alexander said. "Coach Randolph told me if I come to Alabama I'll have the chance to play early and compete. That is all I can ask for.

"I'll get my first look at quarterback and if that doesn't work out I'll could move to another position and I'm fine with that. I just want to have a shot and I think Alabama gives me a chance to prove myself one way or the other.

221974[/snapback]

What about the kid from S. Carolina that went on the record in one of the S. Carolina papers about Shula telling him that they were only recruiting one person for the position of quarterback this year. Tebow. Course when Tebow went to UF Shula came crawling on his knees to this kid who went elsewhere.

Funny how this the kids said this positive stuff in the paper so it must be true about Shula, but kids saying positive stuff (such as the Ohio linemen who said Auburn was honest about where he stood) is all lies and stuff.

221974[/snapback]

What about the kid from S. Carolina that went on the record in one of the S. Carolina papers about Shula telling him that they were only recruiting one person for the position of quarterback this year. Tebow. Course when Tebow went to UF Shula came crawling on his knees to this kid who went elsewhere.

Funny how this the kids said this positive stuff in the paper so it must be true about Shula, but kids saying positive stuff (such as the Ohio linemen who said Auburn was honest about where he stood) is all lies and stuff.

222026[/snapback]

You talking about Chris Smelly? Smelly was never offered a scholly. His statement was "CMS and company were only recruiting one TRUE (dedicated) Q.B." Not one person for the Q.B. position. Earl Alexander is listed as an athlete, not a Q.B. He can contribute at multiple positions on the field.

The deal with Chris had more to do with him wanting to play baseball as well as football. He had a baseball scholly offer from Bama. He could not do that at Bama (play both). I am only speculating, but I think it has to do with concern over injury and the fact that if he played both, he is basicly committed to baseball half the time he is there. If you only sign one Q.B., and he gets injured playing baseball. Well your kinda in a bind now. Either way, CMS never "crawled" to Chris on coming to Bama. He was never in the mix.

221974[/snapback]

222026[/snapback]

You talking about Chris Smelly? Smelly was never offered a scholly. His statement was "CMS and company were only recruiting one TRUE (dedicated) Q.B." Not one person for the Q.B. position. Earl Alexander is listed as an athlete, not a Q.B. He can contribute at multiple positions on the field.

The deal with Chris had more to do with him wanting to play baseball as well as football. He had a baseball scholly offer from Bama. He could not do that at Bama (play both). I am only speculating, but I think it has to do with concern over injury and the fact that if he played both, he is basicly committed to baseball half the time he is there. If you only sign one Q.B., and he gets injured playing baseball. Well your kinda in a bind now. Either way, CMS never "crawled" to Chris on coming to Bama. He was never in the mix.

222058[/snapback]

Yeah...those dual sport athletes like...uh...Bo Jackson, never work out anyway. B)

:au::homer:

guys this is UAT, why do we even care?? Let them tell recruits whatever they want to get them there, but gilligan still has to coach them...and thats the best part of all.

We all know this could be yet another of the turds blockbuster recruiting years that will go WINLESS AGAINST AUBURN... and that is ultimately what matters...just ask their ALL-SEC QB (OOPS, wait, temporary delusion), their MEDIOCRE QB, he'll tell you.... :au::au:

Yeah...those dual sport athletes like...uh...Bo Jackson, never work out anyway.  B)

:au:   :homer:

222059[/snapback]

Yes sir, sometimes that is unfortunately true. They are more susceptible to injuries. Tragically, sometimes career ending ones. Like Bo Jackson.

guys this is UAT, why do we even care??  Let them tell recruits whatever they want to get them there, but gilligan still has to coach them...and thats the best part of all.

We all know this could be yet another of the turds blockbuster recruiting years that will go WINLESS AGAINST AUBURN... and that is ultimately what matters...just ask their ALL-SEC QB (OOPS, wait, temporary delusion), their MEDIOCRE QB, he'll tell you.... :au:   :au:

222060[/snapback]

The point of the thread, which has been sort of obfuscated, is the irony of Bama fans calling Auburn out for "dishonest" recruiting when it's pretty much all they do.

Ya know...I just can't help but harken back to the 1927, or whatever year, of Harpers Bazaar...which documented Bamar's cheating...WAAAAAAY back then. I love nostalgia.... :)

Yeah...those dual sport athletes like...uh...Bo Jackson, never work out anyway.  B)

:au:   :homer:

222059[/snapback]

Yes sir, sometimes that is unfortunately true. They are more susceptible to injuries. Tragically, sometimes career ending ones. Like Bo Jackson.

222062[/snapback]

Yup...as tragic as it was that his career ended early...I'll bet being a millionaire really stinks. :)

... And to top that, there is also a thread seriously debating how physically similar Mike Shula and Bahr Bryunt are.  Uncanny resemblance they say.

221958[/snapback]

This is the most delusional part. Sad, really. Shulla looks NOTHING like a pile of dust mixed with some bones in a box 6-ft under. Geez, I would never say such a terrible thing about our head coach.

Liars lie. That is the norm from certain members of the west vance mafia.

p.s. I really like the new sig pic of the morphing killer k's! WTG Ghost!

221974[/snapback]

222026[/snapback]

222058[/snapback]

Well Smelly, I couldn't remember his name, gave a different story in the paper. I only looked up the article cause Finebaum was talking about it.

He said in the article that he was told they were only recruiting Tebow for QB, then when Tebow went to UF Alabama came at him again. Could be sour grapes by the kid also.

221974[/snapback]

222026[/snapback]

222058[/snapback]

Well Smelly, I couldn't remember his name, gave a different story in the paper. I only looked up the article cause Finebaum was talking about it.

He said in the article that he was told they were only recruiting Tebow for QB, then when Tebow went to UF Alabama came at him again. Could be sour grapes by the kid also.

222129[/snapback]

Could be. (sour grapes that is)

But hey, if Finescum was talking about it. We all know the jaugernaut of journalism wouldn't stir up !@#$. :rolleyes:

Archived