Oil Company Profits

MDM4AU

All this blather from politicians about gas prices being high is demagoguery at it's zenith. You all want independence from foreign oil? Why not more drilling in the United States? ANWR? Those dimocrats screaming the loudest were the ones to block drilling the ANWR. Drilling off the coast of California? Nancy Pelusi & Barbara Boxer would have heart attacks. You want more gas for personal vehicles? How about building a couple of refineries? The green lobby has blocked building new refineries for 30 years. How about building a few nuclear power plants? The grennies would be protesting at the thought.

High gas prices dont bother me...the fact that high gas prices make EVERYTHING ELSE that we buy more expensive bothers me.

3.00 compared to 2.00 per gallon isnt gonna put me in the poor house. But if i try and buy a plane ticket or a gallon of milk...it all costs more...and it all ads up.

The people who are really fleecing americans right now are futures traders. They go on CNN and say little things like "the Iran situation MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT hurt oil supply" and their futures go up $2 just like that.

How about Windfall Profit Taxes on Hollywood types that make $20M for working 3 months on a movie and employ almost no one? Pepole in the entertainment industry, (Robin Williams, Bill Maher, and Whoopi Goldberg), make me sick talking about how much is too much money for a CEO but they are given a pass to make obscene amounts of money and employ no one?

At least Immelt, etc employ people other than themselves. Jack Welch was the King of CEOs. He was still very much overpaid by any standard but then again, if he went 'free agency' several companies, Ford and GM, would have offered him the moon to take over running them.

I lovin' it. Drive a paid for Honda Civic and buy gold, trade crude futures and short the dollar. :au:

What the Price of Gold Is Telling Us

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul319.html

Buying gold and holding it is somewhat analogous to converting one’s savings into one hundred dollar bills and hiding them under the mattress – yet not exactly the same. Both gold and dollars are considered money, and holding money does not qualify as an investment. There’s a big difference between the two however, since by holding paper money one loses purchasing power. The purchasing power of commodity money, e.g., gold, however, goes up if the government devalues the circulating fiat currency.

Holding gold is protection or insurance against government’s proclivity to debase its currency. The purchasing power of gold goes up not because it’s a so-called good investment; it goes up in value only because the paper currency goes down in value. In our current situation, that means the dollar.

Since 2001 the dollar has been devalued by 60%.

In 1934 FDR devalued the dollar by 41%.

In 1971 Nixon devalued the dollar by 7.9%.

In 1973 Nixon devalued the dollar by 10%.

http://recap.fednet.net/archive/Buildasx.a...ion=G&sExpire=0

rtsp://video.c-span.org/15days/e042706_bernanke.rm

And they laughed at me for being a bottomfeeder. :roflol:

Let me turn this around - remember, I work in the industry, for a company who has both an operator (meaning oil producer) subsidiary and a contractor (meaning oilfield service provider) subsidiary. 

232321[/snapback]

Do you work full-time?

232579[/snapback]

Yes. I am the in-house contracts manager for five subsidiaries plus the parent company. Why?

Because you seem to spend alot of your boss's time rantin' on the internet. ;):moon:

Also, explain this to me how THIS is Exxon or Chevron's fault:
Tobias Fulton, General Sales Manager of Sterling McCall Toyota in Houston sells 100 percent of his Prius’ every month and says that the minimum wait time for a new one is four to six months.

Toyota only produced 100,000 hybrid cars last year. Ford planned to sell about 20,000 of their hybrid Escape in 2005.

As of 2000 (the last year data was available), there were over 133 MILLION cars in the US. Those cars run on gasoline, remember? rant on, ...

232642[/snapback]

I didn't say a damn word about hybrids, so I don't know why you want me to address your rant. Sorry.

May I suggest, as I have several times here, that if you are tired of oil company profits, you can:

Buy stock and get those profits yourselves.

Buy a smaller car and spend less money at the pump.

Drive less miles.

Take public transportation.

Ride a bike or motorcycle.

Quit taking all those small, short, gas wasting trips all over town.

Buy alternative fuel cars.

Invest in a car/truck that will run bio-diesel.

You get the idea.

Complaining about spending too much money on gas is falling on my deaf ears. I was hacked apart not so long ago for suggesting that they need to raise the already horrendous gas tax to get us off of mid-East oil. To me this is a way in which we arm sending al Qaeda the money to attack us.

232596[/snapback]

AMEN! I am with you, brother!

Simple changes to the way we go about our day-to-day routine can save us a sizable chunk of money and keep some money out of the terrorists hands.

To do this, we need to engage the crafty minds of this country and leave the politicians out of it (otherwise it will never get fixed). I propose a competetion to see who can come up with a viable alternative to arab oil. Winner gets $25 million or so, and we lose our dependence on foreign oil. We put a man on the moon for Christs sake, we should be able to design a motor that works on something other than terrorist juice.

232598[/snapback]

I got one. Everyone driving a big truck and doesn't need it for work, or an SUV could buy a car that get's 35 miles to the gallon. That should cut our dependence in half right there.

But one of the issues here is also outrageous CEO salaries. If they were truly investing the obscene profits we're hearing about back into developing or finding more fuel, that would be one thing. That's simply not the reality. Check out the outgoing Exxon CEO, for example.

232606[/snapback]

That's crap. You pick on SUVs and big trucks withyour head up your butt. I drive a big truck (F250 diesel) and get 17/21 or better. I get 17 pulling a 30 ft camper. Now why should I be punished or singled out becuae my family and I choose to stay in our camper and not some cum-ridden hotel room?

Not to mention, there are more vehicles on the road that get 18/23 mpg than anything else. Just about any vehicle with a 6 cyl gets mpg close to what I get, but yet you single me out. We have the technology with diesel to make cars that get great gas mileage. But this is America where driving is considered one of the grat priveleges of our time. It's what in the past has allowed even the poorest of us to explore our country. But that cannot be done in a crackerbox. You guys want Europe. I don't I've been there. Other than the nice history, everthing else sucks(gvmts, healthcare, taxes, etc)

Biodiesel for me is a great way to go, but its hard to find.

THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF OIL, GAS, OR any fuels. Just the perception of it driving prices up where the oil companies like them to be. The oil cmpanies are here to make money, not support a nation. If we want that then the feds need to get into refining. Then watch it all go to hell.

But do not single out just one class of perceptive abusers. There s only a small percentage drivint the huge gas guzzlers. Todays technology has V8s getting comparable MPGs as the 6cyls which most have.

So to say that only these guys buying a car that gets 35mpg would make a dent in things is rediculous.

Either you have car-size envy or penis envy. You make the call. But at least research it before you buy that shiny red corvette that gets 18/28 mpg....

232622[/snapback]

That's the rant of a deeply disturbed fella. Lighten up, Francis. No need to feel so picked on. I didn't point my finger at you and say, "b*****d!"

I was responding to a post asking for ways to lessen our reliance on middle east oil. We were actually on a better trajectory to do that in the late 70s when more people drove fuel efficient cars and the plan was to raise CAFE standards steadily. We were encouraged by our President to turn down the thermostat, turn off the lights and conserve energy. Then we were told by the next President that there was no need to and every President since then has been too chicken**** to ask for any sacrifice at all.

Diesel is another way to help the problem. Hate to break it to you, but diesel cars are big in Europe, so you're slamming Europe and patting them on the back in the same breath.

The fact remains though, that I get 35-40mpg and you get about half that, and truck owners without diesel engines get even worse. The easiest way to cut our usage drastically is to change what we drive, and for most of us, that wouldn't be a huge sacrifice.

BTW, you can live in your camper for all I care. Or a van down by the river. :rolleyes:

...Everyone driving a big truck and doesn't need it for work, or an SUV could buy a car that get's 35 miles to the gallon.  That should cut our dependence in half right there.

Um, has hell frozen over? There is a topic that TT and I agree on? Wow...

May I suggest, as I have several times here, that if you are tired of oil company profits, you can:

Drive less miles.

You get the idea.

Complaining about spending too much money on gas is falling on my deaf ears. I was hacked apart not so long ago for suggesting that they need to raise the already horrendous gas tax to get us off of mid-East oil. To me this is a way in which we arm sending al Qaeda the money to attack us.

232596[/snapback]

Simple changes to the way we go about our day-to-day routine can save us a sizable chunk of money and keep some money out of the terrorists hands.

To do this, we need to engage the crafty minds of this country and leave the politicians out of it (otherwise it will never get fixed). I propose a competetion to see who can come up with a viable alternative to arab oil. Winner gets $25 million or so, and we lose our dependence on foreign oil. We put a man on the moon for Christs sake, we should be able to design a motor that works on something other than terrorist juice.

232598[/snapback]

I got one. Everyone driving a big truck and doesn't need it for work, or an SUV could buy a car that get's 35 miles to the gallon. That should cut our dependence in half right there.

But one of the issues here is also outrageous CEO salaries. If they were truly investing the obscene profits we're hearing about back into developing or finding more fuel, that would be one thing. That's simply not the reality. Check out the outgoing Exxon CEO, for example.

232606[/snapback]

That's crap. You pick on SUVs and big trucks withyour head up your butt. I drive a big truck (F250 diesel) and get 17/21 or better. I get 17 pulling a 30 ft camper. Now why should I be punished or singled out becuae my family and I choose to stay in our camper and not some cum-ridden hotel room?

Not to mention, there are more vehicles on the road that get 18/23 mpg than anything else. Just about any vehicle with a 6 cyl gets mpg close to what I get, but yet you single me out. We have the technology with diesel to make cars that get great gas mileage. But this is America where driving is considered one of the grat priveleges of our time. It's what in the past has allowed even the poorest of us to explore our country. But that cannot be done in a crackerbox. You guys want Europe. I don't I've been there. Other than the nice history, everthing else sucks(gvmts, healthcare, taxes, etc)

THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF OIL, GAS, OR any fuels. Just the perception of it driving prices up where the oil companies like them to be. The oil cmpanies are here to make money, not support a nation. If we want that then the feds need to get into refining. Then watch it all go to hell.

But do not single out just one class of perceptive abusers. There s only a small percentage drivint the huge gas guzzlers. Todays technology has V8s getting comparable MPGs as the 6cyls which most have.

So to say that only these guys buying a car that gets 35mpg would make a dent in things is rediculous.

Either you have car-size envy or penis envy. You make the call. But at least research it before you buy that shiny red corvette that gets 18/28 mpg....

232622[/snapback]

That's the rant of a deeply disturbed fella. Lighten up, Francis. No need to feel so picked on. I didn't point my finger at you and say, "b*****d!"

I was responding to a post asking for ways to lessen our reliance on middle east oil. We were actually on a better trajectory to do that in the late 70s when more people drove fuel efficient cars and the plan was to raise CAFE standards steadily. We were encouraged by our President to turn down the thermostat, turn off the lights and conserve energy. Then we were told by the next President that there was no need to and every President since then has been too chicken**** to ask for any sacrifice at all.

Diesel is another way to help the problem. Hate to break it to you, but diesel cars are big in Europe, so you're slamming Europe and patting them on the back in the same breath.

The fact remains though, that I get 35-40mpg and you get about half that, and truck owners without diesel engines get even worse. The easiest way to cut our usage drastically is to change what we drive, and for most of us, that wouldn't be a huge sacrifice.

BTW, you can live in your camper for all I care. Or a van down by the river. :rolleyes:

232719[/snapback]

I'm glad you are doing your part to save the world. But NO, many of the new gasoline trucks do not get worse. The technology......oh why do I bother. You are just another little man in a little car begging to be heard.

For the rest of you who can only think in very big or very small terms, guess what?

We are both in the minority. Most folks drive something right in between and there is only a few mpg difference between. So the next time I run up on you going 55 in the left lane, I won't even bother to figure out what the bump was....

Beware the angry white man in the F250.........

Drive less miles.

You get the idea.

232596[/snapback]

232598[/snapback]

232606[/snapback]

232622[/snapback]

232719[/snapback]

I'm glad you are doing your part to save the world. But NO, many of the new gasoline trucks do not get worse. The technology......oh why do I bother. You are just another little man in a little car begging to be heard.

For the rest of you who can only think in very big or very small terms, guess what?

We are both in the minority. Most folks drive something right in between and there is only a few mpg difference between. So the next time I run up on you going 55 in the left lane, I won't even bother to figure out what the bump was....

232762[/snapback]

You're mistaken. Its the little men insecure about penis size that get the big trucks to compensate for their other shortcomings. You need a whole a fleet.

Research the trucks MPG yourself. You can start at www.kbb.com. Of course, you're wrong again, as usual.

If you come up on me doing 55mph, we will probably be in 40mph zone. But anywhere, I doubt you have the driving skills to catch me, angry man.

Drive less miles.

You get the idea.

232596[/snapback]

232598[/snapback]

232606[/snapback]

232622[/snapback]

232719[/snapback]

232762[/snapback]

You're mistaken. Its the little men insecure about penis size that get the big trucks to compensate for their other shortcomings. You need a whole a fleet.

Research the trucks MPG yourself. You can start at www.kbb.com. Of course, you're wrong again, as usual.

If you come up on me doing 55mph, we will probably be in 40mph zone. But anywhere, I doubt you have the driving skills to catch me, angry man.

232885[/snapback]

Doubt on. Like the insurance report said, "I had to swerve several times before I finally hit the little man."

You still fail prove that there are enough "big" trucks and SUVs out there to make as big a difference as all the midsize cars that get close to the same MPG. Some of us prefer the larger, safer vehicles. It keeps us from having to use our guns.

But continue your rant. Go hug a tree, or save an innocent animal, or march against the big bad SUV/truck owners. Besides, its all their fault because they choose bigger vehicles than you. And we all know what martyrs all demoncrats are. If we would just follow their well-informed advice.....

Drive less miles.

You get the idea.

232596[/snapback]

232598[/snapback]

232606[/snapback]

232622[/snapback]

232719[/snapback]

232762[/snapback]

232885[/snapback]

Doubt on. Like the insurance report said, "I had to swerve several times before I finally hit the little man."

You still fail prove that there are enough "big" trucks and SUVs out there to make as big a difference as all the midsize cars that get close to the same MPG. Some of us prefer the larger, safer vehicles. It keeps us from having to use our guns.

But continue your rant. Go hug a tree, or save an innocent animal, or march against the big bad SUV/truck owners. Besides, its all their fault because they choose bigger vehicles than you. And we all know what martyrs all demoncrats are. If we would just follow their well-informed advice.....

233194[/snapback]

Trucks and SUVs have been the biggest seller for years. We are one of the few families in my neigborhood that doesn't have at least one or the other. Most have two or more. But they are not the only vehicles with poor gas mileage, Mr. Sensitive. Again, you got all bent out of shape because of a quick email reply for a proposal that mentioned these popular, wasteful, and for most people, unnecessary vehicles. It doesn't take much for mentally imbalanced. You're really fantasizing pretty hard about killing me with your big bad truck, aren't you? What a wacko.

:ucrazy: :wacko:

I never said I wanted you dead, just crippled. A crippled librul sends a better message. Kinda like a walking billboard........Excuse me, "limping billboard".

I never said I wanted you dead, just crippled. A crippled librul sends a better message. Kinda like a walking billboard........Excuse me, "limping billboard".

233441[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up. Related to the Unabomber, by any chance?

233441[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up. Related to the Unabomber, by any chance?

233507[/snapback]

CLIP. CLOP. CLIP. CLOP.

LIMP....LIMP......

• 4 weeks later...

I was doing some research today and came across this. Mind you, this is a small operator, not anywhere CLOSE to the size of an XOM or Chevron, so imagine what a hit like this does for their bottom line - EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS SPENT AND NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT.

lINK

Energy Partners Ltd. today announced it came up dry on an $8- million well tested on its Louisiana State Lease 15016 in the Denali prospect in East Bay. It has been plugged and abandoned as a dry hole. EPL will recognize about $8 million in exploration expense in the first quarter in connection with the well. We are obviously disappointed by the results of this well, which did intersect the targeted sands and found limited hydrocarbons, but not of a sufficient quantity to complete the well, said Richard Bachmann, EPL chairman and CEO. While there is a possibility for future tests of deeper horizons in the area, none are planned for 2006, and our immediate focus is on incorporating the knowledge gained from this wellbore into our geologic model of the area.EPL is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in New Orleans with operations focused along the U.S. Gulf Coast onshore in south Louisiana and offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.EPL shares traded off 19 cents this morning at $23.85 on the New York Stock ...

Here's an example from Unocal, a major operator until they were bought by Chevron:

The Bowshock well in Garden Banks block 460 was drilled at a rate of 415 feet per day, or 39 percent less time than comparable deepwater exploration wells in the Garden Banks area. The well reached its final objective in 44 days.

Drilled in 2,500 feet of water to a total depth of 17,014 feet, the well was a dry hole. Unocal has a 100-percent working interest in the prospect. Approximately $17 million in well costs will be charged against the company's second quarter 1999 earnings. An additional $2 million will be charged in the third quarter.

I heard on a show about oil wells the other night that the average cost to an operator for an deepwater offshore dry hole is approximately $100M - that's ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS, GANG!! WITH NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT! Sometimes even if they find something, it is too costly to get it out, so that also counts as a technical dry hole.

Something to think about when you bash these companies.

Archived