Phil Steele's top 25

WarTiger

Came out and is high on Auburn... check it out... The link shows how accurate this guy has been the last 5 years. I also applaud him for doing his own research and not going along with the media consensus out there.

Accuracy

BSC Title Game-

Auburn vs Oklahoma

SEC Title Game-

Auburn vs UT

Powerranking #6

1. OU

2. Auburn

3. Louisville

4. USC

5. Texas

6. Miami

7. Notre Dame

8. OSU

9. VT

10. FSU

11. Michigan

12. Tennessee

13. Arkansas

14. Georgia

15. Iowa

16. Cal

17. WVU

18. Clemson

19. Boise St

20. Florida

21. LSU

22. Nebraska

23. Utah

24. Purdue

25. Oregon

Here are my favorite WEN comments regarding Phil "crackhead" Steele.

I'm sure he got some drug rehab during the offseason and is thinking with a clear head now though. :big:

Check out this post by AURainman on the third page of the link.

I can't say 11-0, but Bama's gonna have a damn good season this year. They have been steadily building depth. As much as I hate Bama fan's clinging to Shula, he will make them all look a tad bit smarter next year. I see Bama having the potential for a 10 win season, but more likely 9 regular season wins and a good bowl game (Cotton?).

Maybe Rainman should start a preseason mag.

Arkansas? :blink:   :arky:   :thumbsdown:

239208[/snapback]

They return the most starters in the SEC... It wouldn't suprise me for Arkansas to have a good season this year.

Good? Sure

Win the West? I think that is a big stretch

239255[/snapback]

SL, wouldn't surprise me at all to see Arkansas finish as high as second in the west. MY predicted homer order of finish in the SEC west is:

Auburn

Arkansas

LSU

UAT

Ole Miss

Miss. State

I just read a thread where you guys hate for Steele appeared to be on the same level as your hatred for Coach Bryant.

Examples..............

Phil Steele was on the local sports talk show this morning. He makes bold predictions and loves to give himself huge props for the ones that come to pass. You don't ever hear him talk about the ones he blew.
can I have some of what he is smokin'?
are we sure this guy is actually a sports reporter?
That guy is dilusional
Wow...that man writes a great fictional story.

Yet, in '06 he picks y'all to play in the national championship game and he is the second coming. Hilarious.

I heard him on several talk shows the past couple of years and I too thought he was a blow hard. The rave about all his correct picks was over the top, kind of like the hype about all these sports bookey places that advertise. But hey, I guess you gotta' hype your product to sell it.

Not bashing anyone that buys or puts a lot of stock into these mags, but I couldn’t give a rat’s backside about any of the publications. They end up being more a waste of time money than anything else. I really don't care who says Auburn will do good or bad. I don’t need a magazine to get me excited about the team (even on a down year).

Just my 2 cents

I'm sure he got some drug rehab during the offseason and is thinking with a clear head now though. :big:

I can't say 11-0, but Bama's gonna have a damn good season this year. They have been steadily building depth. As much as I hate Bama fan's clinging to Shula, he will make them all look a tad bit smarter next year. I see Bama having the potential for a 10 win season, but more likely 9 regular season wins and a good bowl game (Cotton?).

239212[/snapback]

well, since I posted this, I'll take it that this is directed to me. Well, if you go back and look at that thread that you resurected from the grave, you won't see one post on that thread from me, until TODAY when it resurfaced.

Perhaps its bitterness on your part that he didn't pick a 10 win UAT team from last year in his preseason top 25 for this year??? Just a thought...

Well... Phil Steele is consistently one of the best preseason mags. Yes, I know it's due to the top notch education received at The University of Alabama...

I just thought it was funny how you guys were bashing him last summer b/c he said 'Bama would be a solid team and even dark horse NC contender. Turns out, he was right on both counts.

I'm not so sure about putting AU and OU in the championship game though. Like I've said on this site before, you guys are going to have a tough squad. But in the end, I don't see AU or the Sooners in the BCS title game. OU was mediocre last season, and AU got embarrassed (with more talent than they'll have on 9/2) in the bowl game. I'm sticking with my 1 or 2 loss season for AU. The SEC is simply too tough to run the table for any conference team this year IMO.

239212[/snapback]

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

I just read a thread where you guys hate for Steele appeared to be on the same level as your hatred for Coach Bryant.

Examples..............

Phil Steele was on the local sports talk show this morning. He makes bold predictions and loves to give himself huge props for the ones that come to pass. You don't ever hear him talk about the ones he blew.
That guy is dilusional

Yet, in '06 he picks y'all to play in the national championship game and he is the second coming. Hilarious.

239268[/snapback]

Again, 28-18 11 SACKS....How "hilarious" is THAT? :lol::lol::lol:

Examples..............

That guy is dilusional

239268[/snapback]

Again, 28-18 11 SACKS....How "hilarious" is THAT? :lol::lol::lol:

239310[/snapback]

I got 11 sacks in a video game once... Had to put it on "Very Easy" mode though and slide the "blocking" meter all the way down.

I just thought it was funny how you guys were bashing him last summer b/c he said 'Bama would be a solid team and even dark horse NC contender. Turns out, he was right on both counts.

Actually, he wasn't. uat did not have a solid team last year. They had a solid defense, I'll give you that. The offense consisted of short routes, with the occasional lofty long ball until Prothro got hurt.

Also, when was uat a NC contender? Was it just after the last second hail mary against Southern Miss, or was it after the last second field goal against an awful UT team?

I'm not so sure about putting AU and OU in the championship game though. Like I've said on this site before, you guys are going to have a tough squad. But in the end, I don't see AU or the Sooners in the BCS title game. OU was mediocre last season, and AU got embarrassed (with more talent than they'll have on 9/2) in the bowl game. I'm sticking with my 1 or 2 loss season for AU. The SEC is simply too tough to run the table for any conference team this year IMO.

239296[/snapback]

Its not necessarily the talent we'll have on 9/2, it will be the experience.

Actually, he wasn't. uat did not have a solid team last year. They had a solid defense, I'll give you that. The offense consisted of short routes, with the occasional lofty long ball until Prothro got hurt.

Also, when was uat a NC contender? Was it just after the last second hail mary against Southern Miss, or was it after the last second field goal against an awful UT team?

239296[/snapback]

239315[/snapback]

Don't make yourself sound ignorant. AU won the Iron Bowl. Nobody is disputing that. But for you to say that we were not a good team makes you sound so foolish. You don't end the season ranked 8th in the entire nation and win a NYD bowl game if you aren't any good. You know better than that.

When we're we an NC contender? Maybe after our 9-0 start and #3 BCS ranking in mid-November? Yes, we did lose our last two regular season games... but up until those last two it was Southern Cal, Texas, Alabama, and Miami as the teams that were being discussed as the teams that could be spending New Years in Pasadena. I was dissapointed in the way we closed the regular season, yes. And I admit that we were not on the same level as a USC or Texas. But to say that weren't in the national title hunt is hogwash. I'm not bragging about it in any way... just pointing out an obvious fact.

239296[/snapback]

239315[/snapback]

65, said it the best. Comments from CTT had our church men's breakfast last week, tells me he knows this is important opening game. He also realizes that motivation is a major factor in the players. I plan on talk to him more in depth as I get the opportunities.

I think the experience factor is key...see the difference from the 2003 spuad to the 2004 undefeated team. Basically the same players, they learned from the mistakes of 2003, the hype and all. The seniors on this 2006 team has been thru the ups and downs, 2003, 2004, 2005, I think they will be prepared.

Examples..............

That guy is dilusional

HEY you quoted me in there and I never said anything about him being the second coming as a matter of fact I think most of the pre season mags are a load of shi#. I read them for pure information on players and other teams not for the rankings we all know they don't mean squat!

"Second coming" is a figure of speech. All I'm saying is that last year you guys were laughing at his Bama prediction and calling him a homer and this you love him b/c he picks your team to play for all the marbles.

Win out...

"Second coming" is a figure of speech. All I'm saying is that last year you guys were laughing at his Bama prediction and calling him a homer and this you love him b/c he picks your team to play for all the marbles.

Win out...

239357[/snapback]

Something that UAT couldn't do.

Win out...

239357[/snapback]

Something that UAT couldn't do.

239365[/snapback]

API couldn't either...

sptCAPITAL-ONE-BOWL.jpg

Don't make yourself sound ignorant. AU won the Iron Bowl. Nobody is disputing that. But for you to say that we were not a good team makes you sound so foolish. You don't end the season ranked 8th in the entire nation and win a NYD bowl game if you aren't any good. You know better than that.

10 - 2 and Drumroll........3rd place in the west :roflol:

123pc3b.jpg

123pd39.jpg

123pfn6.jpg

It's funny how you are so trained to put Bama down at every turn in the road that you don't even realize the favor that we did you. Because of the Iron Bowl, AU is being projected as a Top 10 team and even a contender for the national title. The national title! It's like the Wisconsin fiasco didn't even happen. We are THAT respected nationally. This is obvious b/c of the preseason hype that you guys are receiving (and rightfully so). So, if I were you, I'd be playing up last year's Bama squad to make my team look even better. Saying that we weren't any good only takes away from the luster of 05 and would only dim AU's chances in 06.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into a debate with you over something so trivial. AU was better than us last season and that was proven in the Iron Bowl. However, that doesn't mean that we weren't worth a crap. The facts speak for themselves.

239212[/snapback]

well, since I posted this, I'll take it that this is directed to me. Well, if you go back and look at that thread that you resurected from the grave, you won't see one post on that thread from me, until TODAY when it resurfaced.

Perhaps its bitterness on your part that he didn't pick a 10 win UAT team from last year in his preseason top 25 for this year??? Just a thought...

239294[/snapback]

Actually, I like Phil Steele, and most of the time over the last few years he's been closer than the other mags I've seen.

I thought about waiting until the the majority of the board was saying how good this guy has been before posting that link, but then I decided to just go ahead and put it out there to prevent any hypocrisy. Just looking out for my friends here at WEN. :big:

Seriously though, not a shot at you.

Archived