"Auburn Thing" no longer funny for natl press.

DKW 86

Some may be thinking I am breaking my own rule here but read yourself. His Conclusion is priceless. Seems that now this may cost NCAA and college sports its tax exempt staus that everyone wants this to go away ASAP...

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Auburn Thing Going Federal

Auburn Professor James Gundlach, he of the big mouth in the SocGate 101, now has a new venue for his blabbering: the federal government. Per Gundlach, he recently talked on the telephone with members of the House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee about allegations he made against Soc department head Thomas Petee. For those of you that are a little rusty in your government branches, the Oversight Committee of the Ways and Means Committee is in charge of researching the tax-exempt status of college athletics.  :o

The new federal government spokesman Gundlach went on to say "they're interested in looking at the issue of whether or not big-time college athletics deserves to have its tax-exempt status continued. Their original thinking was that it was seen as contributing to education."

Gundlach said he was asked to testify if the subcommittee holds hearings on the issue.

Our take: go stab yourself in the head and go away.

I heard about this the other day and thought exactly as you did. This could make the NCAA make this go away as quickly as possible, which would be the right thing to do regardless. We all already know it is a non-story with athletics and the problem has been fixed on the academic side already.

Congress is in crack-down mode right now with regard to 501c3 tax-exempt organizations - for example, "charity" hospitals have been prime targets. I expect the Gundlach inquiry is in connection with this more general investigation. Although big-time college athletics would certainly seem like a welcome target for Ways and Means and for Senators Grassley, Baucus, et al, I'm hard pressed to see how this incident, without (much) more, would lead to any sort of action specifically against the NCAA. That said, we all know Congress loves to inquire . . . given the timing (much more so than the nature of the allegations, IMHO), this could be the tip of the iceberg for the NCAA . . . stay tuned, I guess.

Its obvious that this guy wants to run his mouth to anyone who will listen...but I guess now you can mark "bama conspiracy" off your list of reasons why this all happened.

Its obvious that this guy wants to run his mouth to anyone who will listen...but I guess now you can mark "bama conspiracy" off your list of reasons why this all happened.

251294[/snapback]

never............

IMHO-----much ado about nothing.

Do any of you expect any representative or senator from any of the big football states (Pac10,Big10, ACC, SEC, Big12, Big East, etc) to vote for anything that will hurt their universities and p#ss off the fans in their states. DON'T THINK SO.

This makes for good copy but no real chance. Again, JMHO.

:headscratch: I wonder if the Government will use this (crap from :puke: Gundlach) as leverage against the NCAA, so the NCAA will adopt a playoff? I remember something came up a few years ago where the Government (a committee, maybe in the Senate or maybe in the House) was investigating as to why the NCAA did not have a playoff system. I wouldn't mind so much if :puke: Gundlach did his testifying and the Government ultimately threatened the NCAA with revoking the exempt status unless they installed a playoff system ASAP :D . Just wondering........with a little wishful thinking!

251294[/snapback]

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...do we have to??? :lol:

:au::homer:

Come on BamaGrad! You're taking the fun out of it! :)

Does anyone else here think that Congress has MUCH bigger fish to fry? How's that immigration thing coming?

Archived