Steve Gandy

WAR-MATT

Credible sources at ITAT are saying when he left practice everything was ok and the coaches said he would be back at practice. He developed complications later and had to have surgery. Has anyone got anymore info?

Havent heard anything else about this. Is it still rumors. I guess we will just have to wait another day or so.

First of all, Gandy was never that great to begin with. Secondly, they're just draining some fluid. Should be okay in a few weeks.

Wasn't he a projected starter?

First of all, Gandy was never that great to begin with. Secondly, they're just draining some fluid. Should be okay in a few weeks.

Wasn't he a projected starter?

I think Merrill Johnson would have won MLB and Dede OLB even had Gandy been in the mix. But we can't lose anybody else. I would really like our MLB do be 220 or so, but Johnson only weighs in at 205 max. Worries me a bit.

gandy was/is a solid football player that started for us at safety last year and was in the mix for a starting spot at olb this year... as a sophomore. how is that "not that good"?

losing him for any games will hurt for one majore reason: it all but guarantees that a true freshman will be in the two-deep on opening day. you need at least five linebackers (two in the middle, two starters on the outside, and a backup that can play both spots) at the bare minimum to run out system, and we're struggling to find that. the strongside is fine with will starting and horton behind him. the middle and the weakside are completely up in the air. dede can play either and he'll be a starter at least until sears and blackmon return. johnson can apparently play both, and he could very well start. but who's behind them? i haven't heard a chirp about patrick trahan despite all the suspensions and injuries. same goes for chris evans. that leaves courtney harden and craig stevens very much in the mix to wind up in the two-deep.

i'm not bagging on any of those guys. if you make this team, you can play, but they all serisouly lack experience (johnson included). no matter what, we have three guys who have ever started anywhere on the field (herring, dede, and gandy); so losing one of them hurts. needless to say, we can't really afford injuries b/c of a lack of experience and dumb off the field actions.

gandy was/is a solid football player that started for us at safety last year and was in the mix for a starting spot at olb this year... as a sophomore. how is that "not that good"?

losing him for any games will hurt for one majore reason: it all but guarantees that a true freshman will be in the two-deep on opening day. you need at least five linebackers (two in the middle, two starters on the outside, and a backup that can play both spots) at the bare minimum to run out system, and we're struggling to find that. the strongside is fine with will starting and horton behind him. the middle and the weakside are completely up in the air. dede can play either and he'll be a starter at least until sears and blackmon return. johnson can apparently play both, and he could very well start. but who's behind them? i haven't heard a chirp about patrick trahan despite all the suspensions and injuries. same goes for chris evans. that leaves courtney harden and craig stevens very much in the mix to wind up in the two-deep.

i'm not bagging on any of those guys. if you make this team, you can play, but they all serisouly lack experience (johnson included). no matter what, we have three guys who have ever started anywhere on the field (herring, dede, and gandy); so losing one of them hurts. needless to say, we can't really afford injuries b/c of a lack of experience and dumb off the field actions.

Totally agree with you. The last two years alot of folks felt like Gandy and Herring were the two most versatile guys on the defensive side of the ball. Two guys that can play more than one position.

At this point, EVERYONE at LB is critical. That may be a real sore spot in the early going. I hope we can have those positions settled by the LSU game. We are very inexperienced there.

From Huntsville Times [excerpt with address]

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...0.xml&coll=

Gandy goes out: Sophomore Steve Gandy, who had emerged as the first-teamer at weakside

linebacker, is hospitalized and out indefinitely, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said Tuesday

Gandy sustained a thigh bruise Sunday. Neither he nor his coaches nor his trainers thought it was

serious. But complications developed.

"They operated on him yesterday and he'll be out for an indefinite period of time," Tuberville

said. "They just relieved some pressure off his thigh. He's in the hospital, but we hope to get him

out in the next couple of days."

With Gandy's injury, three Auburn linebackers are unlikely to play in the opener against

Washington State on Sept. 2.

Archived