Hah-why-yer practices at GT

DKW 86

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/g...echcoaches.html

Gailey arranges practice time for buddies

Ex-Falcons coaches to direct Hawaii team on The Flats

By MIKE KNOBLER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/24/06

Two former Falcons head coaches will be running practices next week at Georgia Tech.

No, Tech's Chan Gailey hasn't outsourced the job of preparing his team to face No. 2 Notre Dame. June Jones and Jerry Glanville have a team of their own, and they face a challenging opener, too.

RONEN ZILBERMAN/STR

(ENLARGE)

Former Falcons head coaches Jerry Glanville (left) and June Jones have teamed up at the University of Hawaii.

Head coach Jones and defensive coordinator Glanville's Hawaii Warriors will practice on Tech's Rose Bowl Field on Wednesday night and Thursday night before busing to Birmingham on Friday for Saturday's game against Alabama, which is ranked No. 24 in the USA Today coaches poll.

Hawaii leaves its campus at 2 p.m. Tuesday and is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 6:56 a.m. Wednesday. The Warriors are traveling early in the week to allow players a chance to recover from the 8 1/2-hour flight and the five-hour time difference between their campus and Legion Field. There was no scheduled non-stop service to Birmingham.

"We wanted to get to a hotel and go to sleep when we land," Jones said.

So he called Tech in search of a practice facility. Jones has known Gailey since 1985, when Gailey was a Denver Broncos assistant and Jones was with the USFL's Denver Gold.

"I've known June forever," Gailey said. "I talked to June on the phone and said, 'What do you need?' And he said, 'Hey, I need some night practices, and we won't interfere with you.' And I said, 'Sure.' They've got a tough situation. I don't mind helping out people in a tough situation."

Hawaii's practices won't start until 7 p.m. Tech will be done by 6:15. The Yellow Jackets are letting the Warriors use the field for free. Maybe Jones will bring Gailey some macadamia nuts, but there won't be much socializing.

"He's got Notre Dame, and he's got his hands full," Jones said. "Hopefully, I'll get a chance to say hello to him."

uat is "playing"?

News to me.

uat is "playing"?

News to me.

Yea...Just two mid majors. You wouldn't have heard of them.

True.

Just a mid-major that won 10 games, finished #8 in the nation, and won an NYD bowl game. :poke:

Nice stab at us smokies... too bad that WSU will probably give us more of a challenge than UAT. :-/

Really, because I thought we were better than a middle tier Pac-10 team. I guess not. :no:

uat is "playing"?

News to me.

True.

Just a mid-major that won 10 games, finished #8 in the nation, and won an NYD bowl game. :poke:

and what has that done for you lately? How's that ranking going now? From where I sit, I see "Tha Tahd" at #26

uat is "playing"?

News to me.

True.

You forgot to add this most significant accomplishment: "... and finished no higher than 3rd in the SEC West Division."

You will be fighting again for 3rd place this season with Arky & Ole Miss. Have fun bammies and just enjoy yourselves. :thumbsup:

Jesus guys, let the kids play...

This is a kids game. It is not your life being judged here. I want to win but I am not ready to start a piss war. THe kids havent even played a game. It is all guess work so far.

Archived