Only two quarterbacks � Joe Tereshinki and Joe Cox � will play in the opening game

DKW 86

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/u...825ganotes.html

Only two QBs will likely play in opener

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/25/06

Athens — Georgia quarterbacks coach Mike Bobo said in all likelihood only two quarterbacks — Joe Tereshinki and Joe Cox — will play in the opening game against Western Kentucky.

After naming the "Two Joes" Nos. 1 and 2 on the depth chart earlier this week, head coach Mark Richt left open the possibility that a third quarterback might also see action against the Hilltoppers. But neither Blake Barnes nor Matthew Stafford took snaps with the varsity squad but instead worked with the scout team during Thursday's dress rehearsal at Sanford Stadium, the final scrimmage of the preseason.

"Based on [Thursday's scrimmage], we had to pretty much go with two guys," Bobo said.

Asked if that was the way the position would be handled against the Hilltoppers in the first game, Bobo said, "As of right now, yeah."

Tereshinki had a good day Thursday. He directed the offense on three touchdown drives — including one that covered 99 yards — and ran for a score himself.

"He looked pretty sharp," offensive coordinator Neil Callaway said. "I don't remember many errant throws. I wished he had been a little more on target on a few of them."

Cox did "all right," according to Callaway, but threw one interception on an out route, "and we don't like that."

Cornerback Oliver gets more interceptions

Paul Oliver did it again.

For the third time in three scrimmages, the Georgia cornerback returned an interception for a touchdown. This one went for 100 yards.

"Longest 100 yards I've ever run," said the junior from Kennesaw.

Actually, Oliver had two picks Thursday and seemingly has had at least that many in every practice.

"He's been doing it every day," defensive coordinator/secondary coach Willie Martinez said. "He just has exceptional ball skills. When the ball's in the air, he has a knack for getting to it."

This is what the Bulldogs have expected ever since Oliver signed out of Harrison High. This season he's a full-time starter for the first time.

"I'm just more relaxed," he said. "I think it comes from being in the system a long time. I feel a little smarter on the field, and that makes me play faster, I guess."

Kicker Coutu anoints punter as his holder

Richt left up the decision of who would be kicker Brandon Coutu's holder to Coutu. Thursday, Coutu finally made up his mind between punter Gordon Ely-Kelso and walk-on defensive back Rowdy Francis.

"Both guys did well, but I think right now it's apparent Gordon is ready," Coutu said. "He had all perfect holds and has improved every week. It's good to be finally settled."

Ely-Kelso is glad — but not ectastic — to have the job.

"I'm not going to say I wanted to do it," he said. "You're certainly not going to make a good play as a holder. Nobody notices you unless you mess up."

Parking passes on sale for spaces in decks

Georgia is offering parking passes for several of its decks across campus for $140, or $20 per home game. The deadline for obtaining a pre-paid pass is today. Purchase of a parking pass guarantees a spot regardless of when the pass holder arrives. Go to www.gamedaygameplan.com or call parking services at 706-542-7275.

Cornerback Evans heals ahead of schedule

Cornerback Bryan Evans, who was expected to miss at least the first two games with a knee injury, could be back sooner than expected. He looked extremely mobile Thursday, running 100-yard sprints and cutting while backpedaling during the scrimmage.

"It's too early to say if he'd be in for the first ballgame, but he's ahead of schedule," Martinez said.

Also back were linebackers Darius Dewberry and Brandon Miller.

Running back Jason Johnson sat out with a minor ankle injury.

I wasn't impressed by Tereshenski at all last season. :uga: better be glad they're playing WKU instead of a Colorado on the first weekend... I'm picking :uga: to be this season's "Tennessee." They won't have a losing record, but I don't see them having much chance at going back to Atlanta.

I wasn't impressed by Tereshenski at all last season. :uga: better be glad they're playing WKU instead of a Colorado on the first weekend... I'm picking :uga: to be this season's "Tennessee." They won't have a losing record, but I don't see them having much chance at going back to Atlanta.

I hate to say this.......

I agree with you. There I said it. I feel sick.

I hate to say this.......

I agree with you. There I said it. I feel sick.

It's alright. :cheer:

That's a hilarious sig. There, I said that too... :no:

Archived