Doba: "Don't want those animals down there..."

kingfish

The Decatur Daily

Thursday, August 31, 2006

By Bradley Handwerger

Daily Sports Writer

Portion of the above article follows:

"Their quarterback, I think, is a gamer," Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said. "He can make all the throws. He can touch it. He can zip it. He can put air under the ball. He hits spots well."

Brink's ability to run and elude the rush could be the most dangerous part of Washington State's offense. "It's a part of my game," Brink said. "I'm not (former Texas quarterback) Vince Young by any means. Escapability is a term I like to use. I like to get out of the pocket and throw from there."

That's not exactly something that makes Doba sleep any easier, though. "We don't want him running around out there," Doba said. "He's pretty good, but I don't want those animals down there taking shots at him. We'll try to protect him as much as we can."

What do you suppose the Washington State coach Doba means by his remark, "I don't want those animals down there taking shots at him." This seems like bulletin board material or am I reading this wrong?

You are reading it wrong. It is a compliment for a D Lineman or Line Backer to be called an animal. They are animals! They are wild, fast, love to hit, and constantly run their mouth and talk the whole time. They may spit, scratch and claw their way to whoever has the ball. Coach is right...I wouldn't want one of our animals hitting the little *****-foot either!!

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/s...31/auburn.shtml

Al Borges familiar with boss of Cougars

Doba had trouble stopping run offense

By Bradley Handwerger

DAILY Sports Writer

bhandwerger@decaturdaily.com · 340-2462

AUBURN — Al Borges is quite familiar with Washington State head coach Bill Doba.

In fact, Auburn's offensive coordinator is the only Tigers' coach who has coached against Doba.

Borges spent 1995 though 2001 coaching in the Pac-10, where Doba has quietly spent his time as the Cougars' defensive coordinator.

In those years, when Borges was with Oregon, UCLA and California, Doba's teams had a hard time making stops. Washington State went 2-3 against a Borges-run offense, giving up an average of 33.4 points.

Years later, Doba sees the similar characteristics in Auburn's current offense.

"For every running play, there was a reverse off that run, there was a play-action pass off that run, there was a screen off that run," Doba said. "Your defense really had to slow down. He presented a lot of problems. A very good offensive mind, obviously."

Yet, Doba hasn't taken advantage of the offseason to make a game plan for Saturday's 6:45 p.m. season-opener between No. 4 Auburn and Washington State.

"We just started last week," Doba said. "If you go too many days, they become bored with it. Normally, you have three days to prepare — a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, then travel on Friday. We took a couple extra days this week to try to prepare for them."

Those in Alabama also might be aware of Doba. He was former Tide head coach Mike Price's top assistant.

Yes, that same Mike Price.

When Price left for Alabama in December 2003, Doba took over.

Borges said Washington State couldn't have found a better person for the job.

"He's a guy who deserved an opportunity to be a head coach," Borges said. "He had been an assistant for a long time and had done so well. He's very well respected in the Pac-10."

Doba, though, doesn't coach a defensive-minded team. Rather, the Cougars are known for offense; specifically, the passing game.

Being that Pullman, Wash., is more than 2,500 miles from Montgomery, it's easy to not know the Cougars' impressive quarterback lineage.

Washington State has been the home of Mark Rypien, a Super Bowl winning quarterback; Drew Bledsoe, the Dallas Cowboys' current starting quarterback; and Ryan Leaf, a former No. 1 overall NFL draft pick.

Now that position belongs to Alex Brink, a third-year starter steadily building a solid career under Doba.

A year ago, Brink started all 11 games, throwing 24 touchdowns to 13 interceptions and finished with 2,891 yards through the air. But he's also a runner, gaining 106 yards and two touchdowns through draws and scrambles.

"Their quarterback, I think, is a gamer," Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said. "He can make all the throws. He can touch it. He can zip it. He can put air under the ball. He hits spots well."

Brink's ability to run and elude the rush could be the most dangerous part of Washington State's offense.

"It's a part of my game," Brink said. "I'm not (former Texas quarterback) Vince Young by any means. Escapability is a term I like to use. I like to get out of the pocket and throw from there."

That's not exactly something that makes Doba sleep any easier, though.

"We don't want him running around out there," Doba said. "He's pretty good, but I don't want those animals down there taking shots at him. We'll try to protect him as much as we can."

And when Brink isn't running, he's got a pretty good receiver who can make big plays. Jason Hill has caught at least 12 touchdowns in each of the past two seasons, and has passed the 1,000-yard receiving mark the past two years.

"We feel like our receiving corps and tight ends are our strength," Brink said. "I think we match up well outside with their secondary."

Archived