Future Opponents

Tiger1992

There is a blurb in today's AJC in the Georgia Report section concerning future UGA opponents in football. (I couldn't find a link on ajc.com, anyone else that's read today's AJC can back me up.)

Future/current UGA opponents from a BCS conference include:

Colorado - 2006/2010

Arizona State - 2008/2009

Louisville - 2011/2012

Clemson - 2013/2014

Georgia Tech - yearly

Also, they are in talks with Oregon State to play 2007, 2011, and 2017.

First off, kudos to UGA for scheduling some big-time OOC opponents.

Of course we have West Virginia in 2008/2009. After that, I know we have South Florida next year and Southern Miss in 2008. Regardless of what conference they're in, I really don't consider SF/SM to be high quality opponents (and yes, I know SF is now in the Big Least).

Are there any other BCS opponents currently scheduled in future years? I remember that we had a couple of other series scheduled that got cancelled (Clemson comes to mind as one).

Wow. I don't remember :uga: playing any big time teams w/ the exception of Tech.

Props to them. I hate seeing games against Second Rate State.

Win, that is because UGA never did until 2 years back.

Damon Evans has made it a POINT to schedule good OOC games.

Colorado, ASU, Oregon State, and now Oregon

Win, that is because UGA never did until 2 years back.

Damon Evans has made it a POINT to schedule good OOC games.

Colorado, ASU, Oregon State, and now Oregon

Good deal.

Good OOC games are great to go to.

Hopefully Jacobs is/will make it a point to schedule more quality OOC opponents also. I know we had USC and GT recently. Although those results sucked, I'm glad we were playing good opponents.

I know there was some discussion last year about trying to schedule Notre Dame and/or Michigan but they wouldn't make the return trip (was that ever confirmed or just speculation?). Hopefully JJ will have some luck in this area. Especially next year, when our home schedule is looking pretty sad. I hope he can get a 2007/2010 home and home scheduled with someone worth going to see.

honestly I never dog SEC teams for having weak out of conference opponents, because one Auburn has a few on the schedule every year, but secondly, and most important, the SEC is tough enough as it is, so why make things even harder?? Having said that, I think it's good for us to schedule tougher out of conference games because it gives us a chance to show how good SEC football is compared to other conferences......so props to Georgia for doing so....hopefully we'll get some more big name teams to play Auburn too!!

and this is dealing with future opponents, I thought I heard a few years ago that we were going to put Texas on our schedule for possibly a home and home, but I haven't heard anything about it lately, anyone know if there's any truth to it??

honestly I never dog SEC teams for having weak out of conference opponents, because one Auburn has a few on the schedule every year, but secondly, and most important, the SEC is tough enough as it is, so why make things even harder?? Having said that, I think it's good for us to schedule tougher out of conference games because it gives us a chance to show how good SEC football is compared to other conferences......so props to Georgia for doing so....hopefully we'll get some more big name teams to play Auburn too!!

and this is dealing with future opponents, I thought I heard a few years ago that we were going to put Texas on our schedule for possibly a home and home, but I haven't heard anything about it lately, anyone know if there's any truth to it??

Tell 'em man!

CSS said it best. If you win the :sec: you have already done as much work as some schools do to win a MNC.

ND is Ranked 3rd (2006 Coaches Poll) Plays only 1 team ranked in the Top 10, only three ranked in the Top 25 Worst Away game is 34th.

Sat 09/02/06 Georgia Tech Away 34th

Sat 09/09/06 Penn State Home 19th

Sat 09/16/06 Michigan Home 15th

Sat 09/23/06 Michigan State Away NR

Sat 09/30/06 Purdue Home 40th

Sat 10/07/06 Stanford Home NR

Sat 10/21/06 UCLA Notre Home 33rd

Sat 10/28/06 Navy Away NR

Sat 11/04/06 North Carolina Home NR

Sat 11/11/06 Air Force Away NR

Sat 11/18/06 Army Home NR

Sat 11/25/06 USC Away 3rd

Auburn Ranked Sixth (2006 Coaches Poll) If we win the SEC West We also likely have to play One more Top Ten Team. Therefore, Plays 3 in the Top Ten, 4 in the Top 25, We play 24th and 30th Away.

Sept. 2 Washington St. Home NR

Sept. 9 at Mississippi State Away NR

Sept. 16 LSU Home 9th

Sept. 23 Buffalo Home NR

Sept. 28 at South Carolina Away 30th

Oct. 7 Arkansas Home 29th

Oct. 14 Florida Home 8th

Oct. 21 Tulane Home NR

Oct. 28 at Ole Miss Away NR

Nov. 4 Arkansas St. Home NR

Nov. 11 Georgia Home 14th

Nov. 18 at Alabama Away 24th

SECCG Against 8, 9, 23

I've always seen it this way: schedule a patsy for your first game... tune everyone up, then for the rest of the OOC games, try to at least get a mid-major or something if you can't get the Michigan's of the world for a game. But to me, unless someone buys out your contract and you have absolutely no choice... NEVER schedule 1AA teams... it's just dumb.

Of course schools would schedule more better games if people didn't buy tickets to the sucky ones and spend $$$ at concessions. Money talks.

Mark May basically said that the other night on ESPN. He made the comment that we will have one loss because the SEC is too dang tough for a team to go undefeated in it.

Mark May basically said that the other night on ESPN. He made the comment that we will have one loss because the SEC is too dang tough for a team to go undefeated in it.

it's not too tough to go undefeated in the SEC. All you have to do is have a bounce go your way at some point and avoid the injury bug. And to prove my point all you have to do is look back 2 years.

War Damn Eagle! :au::cheer:

I've always seen it this way: schedule a patsy for your first game... tune everyone up, then for the rest of the OOC games, try to at least get a mid-major or something if you can't get the Michigan's of the world for a game. But to me, unless someone buys out your contract and you have absolutely no choice... NEVER schedule 1AA teams... it's just dumb.

Of course schools would schedule more better games if people didn't buy tickets to the sucky ones and spend $$$ at concessions. Money talks.

I agree with you Boonan, but I think the NCAA should take it a step further - disallow games with Div 1AA opponents. All Div 1A schools should just ante up pay the Div 1AA schools the money so they can keep afloat.

I always hated those games against the likes of Pacific, Akron, CS-Fullerton, NE Louisiana, etc...attending a pre-arranged slaughter isn't my idea of a good time, but it's college football's version of prostitution. The small school comes to your place, takes their whipping and walks out with $500K or more. The smaller schools are asking for more $$$ and I don't blame them. It should hurt you in the pocketbook to play a team like E. Michigan, Buffalo or Portland State.

I'll give the Pac-10 some credit for the way they handled the 12th game...instead of adding a non-conference tomato can, they added a 9th conference game.

A team like Washington State is the kind of team AU should play every year...a recognizable name from a BCS conference that might end up being better than you thought, but you don't get completely hammered in the media if they aren't that good.

it's not too tough to go undefeated in the SEC. All you have to do is have a bounce go your way at some point and avoid the injury bug. And to prove my point all you have to do is look back 2 years.

i agree with that, avoid the injury bug and a top 10 team in the SEC has a good shot at winning out in the SEC. BUT..................................upsets do happen. Im thinking the only undefeated team in the SEC this year will be AU, that have most of their tough games at home. Im not sure, but I think you guys travel to UA, MSU, and MISS.........im sure there is one more....but having LSU, UF, and a couple others at home helps alot.

i agree with that, avoid the injury bug and a top 10 team in the SEC has a good shot at winning out in the SEC. BUT..................................upsets do happen. Im thinking the only undefeated team in the SEC this year will be AU, that have most of their tough games at home. Im not sure, but I think you guys travel to UA, MSU, and MISS.........im sure there is one more....but having LSU, UF, and a couple others at home helps alot.

our other road game is at South Carolina.(thursday night game)

I agree 100% about no 1-AA opponents, although some of the very best AA schools could beat some of the lower 1-A schools pretty regularly. Actually, I'd like to see the lower 20 or so 1-A schools demoted to 1-AA. The number of 1-A schools should stay below 100 or so, IMO. At 96, there could be eight 12-team conferences (No independents, Notre Dame!). Seems like it would make a playoff system easier to develop or evolve.

As for scheduling mid-majors or better, those are more exciting games...but with the 12-game season & no open dates, those hired victims are going to become very important as heal/recuperate/rest respites.

I always hated those games against the likes of Pacific, Akron, CS-Fullerton, NE Louisiana, etc...attending a pre-arranged slaughter isn't my idea of a good time, but it's college football's version of prostitution. The small school comes to your place, takes their whipping and walks out with $500K or more. The smaller schools are asking for more $$$ and I don't blame them. It should hurt you in the pocketbook to play a team like E. Michigan, Buffalo or Portland State.

I'll give the Pac-10 some credit for the way they handled the 12th game...instead of adding a non-conference tomato can, they added a 9th conference game.

A team like Washington State is the kind of team AU should play every year...a recognizable name from a BCS conference that might end up being better than you thought, but you don't get completely hammered in the media if they aren't that good.

Hey, it's the PAC-10! They have plenty of tomato cans inside their conference!

Archived