Rader Spills The Beans

AUesquire

Listened to Finedong this afternoon and caught the last few minutes of an interview with Dave Rader. The last question asked by PF was straightforward. Who actually calls the plays during the game?

His answer, "Coach Shula".

Now, many folks probably already knew that but I don't think so because PF had to ask in the first place. I had started a thread some time back over on Crimson Tusks asking what they thought about their OC and I don't think many Bama fans actually knew who made the decision on play calling during the game. Rader said he is up in the booth and he and CMFS will discuss the next call in between plays, but the ultimate decision is made by CMFS.

Just food for thought when you hear complaints from Bama folks over the conservative nature of the O. Rader gives input but CMFS is driving the car.

Our offense hasnt been conservative this year. Lack of execution and turnovers in the red zone have been our problem so far this year.

He's actually called 3 really good games.

Our offense hasnt been conservative this year. Lack of execution and turnovers in the red zone have been our problem so far this year.

He's actually called 3 really good games.

while i agree that the playcalling has been better this year it has been against three pretty bad teams. And the offense only scored 13 at home against vandy. I know arky isn't a power in anyones mind but i'm holding my worthless criticisms until next week.

You know BG, I actually watched all of the Vandy game and I didn't think they were very conservative either. It did appear for 3 quarters, that Keith Brown was the only receiver you had. (He looked pretty dang good, by the way <_< ) Then Hall got in the mix a lot more. I thought SJPW was a lot more accurate overall from what I saw than Brodie.

There has been so much talk about it again this year but that's probably because of the close scores in the first two games against inferior opponents. PF interviewed Tiny Tot last week and the Small Fry kind of ripped on CMFS about being ultra-conservative.

while i agree that the playcalling has been better this year it has been against three pretty bad teams. And the offense only scored 13 at home against vandy. I know arky isn't a power in anyones mind but i'm holding my worthless criticisms until next week.

Again, nothing to do with playcalling. We fumbled twice inside the 10 against vanderbilt. Both times it would have been 1st and goal. One from the 3 and one from the 9. Not Shula's fault.

And JPW threw the ball 29 times in his debut. Thats not conservative.

Once Shula gives up playcalling on offense... you'll see the talent on Bama's side.

I've talked to many a bama fan about this.. His play calling is just bad, very bad.

Once Shula gives up playcalling on offense... you'll see the talent on Bama's side.

I've talked to many a bama fan about this.. His play calling is just bad, very bad.

Bama great John Hannah agrees with you. He seems qualified to know.

Archived