Is Ohio State Overrated?

otterinbham

Ohio State deserves to be the number one team in the country. The 24-7 drubbing of Texas in Austin was the best win all year, and wins over Penn State and at Iowa were stronger for the résumé than many top teams can claim. So why do I have that 2002 Miami, 2005 USC feeling that the team is going to be hyped and hyped and hyped to a ridiculous level, be double-digit favorites in the BCS championship game, and then get tagged? Three letters … S. E. C.

Isn’t it just possible that Texas is just way above-average, Iowa is mediocre, and Penn State is really mediocre? It’s not Ohio State’s fault if those three teams are no big whoop, but none of them appear to be LSU, Auburn or Florida. Cal is playing like one of the five best teams in America, and it got its doors blown off by Tennessee. I’m not saying the Buckeyes aren’t fantastic, and I have them ranked number one, but would I bet the house and the farm on them on a neutral field over the top SEC teams? Not sure.

In my opinion, Ohio State is not overrated at all.

If you recall from last year when USC was #1 and Texas was #2, there was no debate regarding them two mainly because both of them were so dominant so that's why we didn't see a blowout of any sort at the NC game. But this year, OSU is definitely #1, and no teams in the nation could claim to be #2 the way Texas was last year. All of the candidates for #2 have questions about them.

I think that, no, Texas is not just above-average, they are one of the elite teams. Iowa and Penn State are both decent this year, but all three have received a severe beating from OSU.

While SEC has three extremely talented teams, I don't think Florida/Auburn/LSU is a sure bet against OSU. Florida has had a close game last week until Alabama's youth at QB showed. We survived USC, and LSU has already lost to us earlier. I do think Cal is a very good team, their loss at Tennessee was not an indication of their strength, and as we can see they've been rolling since that loss.

Just my two cents.

I think he's just trying to say it’s not a foregone conclusion that OSU will win it all. Throughout college football history there have been many can’t miss teams that lost the title game. One of the most recent examples would be Oklahoma in 2003. Many of the experts were ready to crown them as one of the all time best. They ended up getting thumped in their final two games. Other examples would be Nebraska vs. Miami 1983, Miami vs. Alabama 1992, FSU vs. Oklahoma 2000, and Miami vs. Ohio St. 2002.

OSU has been more consistent on both sides of the ball. They may make a few bad plays but they make more great plays than bad. Overall, they are justly ranked at #1...for now... :no:

OSU is not overrated, but I think Auburn would take them if we play for the title. OSU may be slightly more talented than Auburn, but because of what happened in '04 and since OSU recently won a title I believe Auburn would fight for it more.

the secondary has to get a LOT better to come close to stifling TS ,Pittman,and 2 STUD WRs (Ginn AND Gonzales!)....

soft zone coverages won't work against an offense of OSU's calibre.....AU's offense could light them up BIG time either on the ground or through the air!

Go ahead and give me some :homer: responses about how ridiculous I am for being realistic and not being a :homer: guys! :no:

Ohio State looks like the real deal.

Great QB play, running game is good, and they have one heck of a wide receiver corps. The D is improving evry week, and they are coached very well.

I would like to see us play them for the National Title, but Michigan has a lot to say about that down the road.

We have our own work to do, and I hope this weekend will be the start of a championship run!

Archived