Rosie O'Donnel's Racist Comments On The View

AUChizad

Group not satisfied with Rosie's apology By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer

Thu Dec 14, 8:38 PM ET

NEW YORK - Rosie O'Donnell says she's sorry for mocking spoken Chinese on "The View," but an association that represents journalists from diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, including Chinese American, says it wasn't enough.

In a Dec. 5 segment, O'Donnell joked about how Danny DeVito's recent — and seemingly drunken — appearance on the ABC daytime talk show had become international news.

"You know, you can imagine in China it's like `ching chong, ching chong chong, Danny DeVito, ching chong chong chong, drunk, "The View," ching chong,'" the 44-year-old comedian said.

On Thursday's show, she told the audience: "To say ching chong to someone is very offensive, and some Asian people have told me it's as bad as the n-word. Which I was like, `Really? I didn't know that.'"

Karen Lincoln Michel, president-elect of Unity: Journalists of Color Inc., said O'Donnell's remarks "really didn't sound like an apology to me."

Lincoln Michel said Unity was waiting for Barbara Walters, who created the show, to respond to a letter asking her to publicly acknowledge that O'Donnell's remarks were "patently offensive."

"I think by allowing Rosie O'Donnell's cheap jabs at Chinese Americans to go unchecked, then the network is essentially condoning racial and ethnic slurs," Lincoln Michel told the AP in a phone interview.

Unity said it represents more than 10,000 journalists nationwide.

"You know it was never (my) intent to mock," O'Donnell said on Thursday's show, "and I'm sorry for those people who felt hurt or were teased on the playground."

"But I'm also gonna give you a fair warning that there's a good chance I'll do something like that again, probably in the next week — not on purpose. Only 'cause it's how my brain works."

O'Donnell characterized her accent as "Chinese, Asian, pseudo-Japanese, sounded a little Yiddish ..."

Link

I hate Rosie O'Donnel.

As much as she loves to go super PC and take serious offense to things that shouldn't even be seen as offensive to anyone (see the Kelly Rippa/Clay Aiken fiasco), and then she goes says all this completely racist stuff and it's ok. :rolleyes:

Sorry if this belongs in the politics forum, and if it starts to sway that way, mods, feel free to move it there.

She is a lesbo -libby -self involved -idoit.

I hesitate to tell you how I really feel.

Her true colors come out...and she's "surprised" that would be viewed as offensive?

She wouldn't make it very long in our neighborhood (majority are ethnic Chinesa and speak more Mandarin than English). I think Rosie should have to do rehap here in Singapore....I'd love to see the look on her "tolerant" face at the wet market early on a Saturday morning.

The fact of the matter is, 40 yrs ago, her comments would be met with smirks and chortles. Does Jerry Lewis ring a bell ? Now, however, that Rosie is such a enlightened dyke liberal, she's become immune to such riducule and scorn. She's ONE of the ridiculed minorities, so she can do what ever she likes. Right ?

Maybe not.

9d_2.JPGFunny then, not funny now.

Her true colors come out...and she's "surprised" that would be viewed as offensive?

She wouldn't make it very long in our neighborhood (majority are ethnic Chinesa and speak more Mandarin than English). I think Rosie should have to do rehap here in Singapore....I'd love to see the look on her "tolerant" face at the wet market early on a Saturday morning.

More people speak Mandarin than any other language on the planet, or do I have that wrong ? I 'd LOVE to learn how to speak Mandarin! If Rosie knew of the advances of the Chinese culture, she'd be far more respectful and not mock in such a ignorant manner.

Here's a mental image for everyone.

6303383238.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I hate you!

:big:

9d_2.JPGFunny then Only funny if you were French, not funny now.

Edited that for you a little bit.

Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

I cannot stand Rosie, but I don't give a damn what kind of fun she makes of whoever. Why is it when a minority gets its ching chong ding dong slings in a wad, everyone gets all high and mighty. But you can say anything you want about a southern white male and nobody gives a rats ass. So if you are ethnically challenged like I am, then join me when I say that they can kiss my ching chong ding wong ass. And to equate that with ni--er is the dumbest damn thing I have ever heard. I guess ching chong is worse than chinc? Like I said, I love it when Rosie gets hers, but I am sick of everybody's feelings mattering but mine. (not that I have any)

Archived