Would you vote for a Mormon?

TexasTiger

Would you vote for a Mormon?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote for a Mormon for President?

• Yes
    • No

Depends on what you mean by "Mormon".

Do you mean Mormon Fundamentalism or the dominant brand of Mormonism practiced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Mormon fundamentalism most often describes splinter movements of Mormonism that believe or practice what its adherents consider to be the fundamental aspects of Mormonism. In general, Mormon fundamentalism represents a break from the dominant brand of Mormonism practiced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), and a return to Mormon doctrines and practices which adherents believe the LDS Church has wrongly abandoned, such as plural marriage, the Law of Consecration, the Adam-God theory, the Patriarchal Priesthood, elements of the Mormon Endowment ritual, and often the exclusion of Blacks from the priesthood. Mormon fundamentalists have formed numerous sects, many of which have established small, cohesive, and isolated communities in areas of the Western United States, as well as Canada and Mexico.

Mormon is a term used to refer to adherents of the Latter Day Saint movement, and most commonly to the movement's original and largest group, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. According to church history, the term is derived from the Book of Mormon, a religious text that Joseph Smith, Jr. translated from purportedly ancient plates containing a supposed history of the early inhabitants of the Americas that was compiled by a prophet called Mormon.[3] Mormons are not Protestants and do not consider themselves part of any larger branch of Christianity, but do consider themselves Christians.

By the 1970s, "Mormon" had become so common that the LDS Church began to use the term in its radio and television Public Service Announcements which ended: "A message from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: the Mormons." More recently the organization has asked the media to use the church's complete name and to follow any second reference with the name "The Church of Jesus Christ."

Claims for exclusivity of usage are primarily to avoid confusion between the LDS Church and "Mormon Fundamentalist" groups. LDS Church officials state that referring to organizations or groups outside of the LDS Church (especially those that practice plural marriage) as "Mormon," "Mormon fundamentalist," or "Mormon dissident" is a misunderstanding of Mormon theology, in particular the principles of continuous revelation and Priesthood authority. In 2006, the current president of the LDS Church, Gordon B. Hinckley, said:

"I wish to state categorically that this Church has nothing whatsoever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. Most of them have never been members. They are in violation of the civil law . . . If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church."

Yes, I would vote for a Mormon, not a Mormon Fundamentalist.

A couple of famous Mormons would be:

Steve Young: NFL Quarterback, Young is the great-great-great-grandson of Brigham Young, second President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for whom Brigham Young University is named.

Dale Murphy: Former Atlanta Brave

Explain what you mean by Mormon and I will participate in the poll.

You know, I've gotten to the point where simple competence in life has become a turn-on.

If he's competent, honest, and possesses good leadership ability, I don't care if the candidate is Mormon, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Islamic, male, female, black, white, brown, yellow, or green with eyestalks. I just would like to see somebody worth a crap running who thinks more about this country that satisfying their own lofty ambition or fulfilling the agenda of some radical fringe group, left or right.

Thanks. Have a nice day.

Why not? As long as you have a man of high moral character in the White House, I don't see their religion as a sticking point. Given the fact that MOST mormons I know value family values and clean living, I would have no problems electing one into office. However, should his/her religion be centered in radical, anti-family, anti-moral values, etc. I would take their religion into FURTHER consideration. It wouldn't be the sticking point, but it'd be a consideration.

For Democrats and other liberals. Which idiot would you vote for?

Edwards

Clinton

Biden

Kerry

Any idiot will do.

For the conservative/Republican voters here...

I'm curious as to what the liberal panelists think?

The party that heralds itself as all-inclusive, yet also the secular progressive party.

Fundamentalist Mormonism is pretty extreme.

Just curious.

For the conservative/Republican voters here...

I'm curious as to what the liberal panelists think?

The party that heralds itself as all-inclusive, yet also the secular progressive party.

Fundamentalist Mormonism is pretty extreme.

Just curious.

Assuming you were including me in that question, somebody being Mormon would not prevent me from voting for them. Somebody being fundamentalist about almost any ideology, right, left or religious, most likely would.

BTW, Harry Reid is a pro-life Mormon.

Assuming you were including me in that question, somebody being Mormon would not prevent me from voting for them. Somebody being fundamentalist about almost any ideology, right, left or religious, most likely would.

He is one Mormon I wouldn't vote for.

I assumed that, too!

I assumed that, too!

And you assume that why? Because he is a Mormon? That has nothing to do with my opinion of him. Because Reid is a democrat? That has nothing to do with my opinion of him. Because he is a liberal? That has nothing to do with it. Because he is a liar? Yep. Because he is a hypocrite? Yep.

Here is a question for you, do you support Harry Reid? Are you happy to have him as a leader of the dems?

Would you support him in a run for President?

I assumed that, too!

And you assume that why? Because he is a Mormon? That has nothing to do with my opinion of him. Because Reid is a democrat? That has nothing to do with my opinion of him. Because he is a liberal? That has nothing to do with it. Because he is a liar? Yep. Because he is a hypocrite? Yep.

Here is a question for you, do you support Harry Reid? Are you happy to have him as a leader of the dems?

Would you support him in a run for President?

No need to be so defensive. I just knew you didn't like Reid. I'm not crazy about him, I'm not disgusted with him. I'm not thrilled yet with any Dem candidate, but look how lousy my choices are on the other side! :poke:

NO. He and I have different bibles. I'm not quite sure his is aligned with mine. I do not like Mitt for reasons I cannot put a finger on. But I tend to judge people correctly most of the time. I mean, heck, I can't stand your librul butt. Judged that one well, I'd say.

NO. He and I have different bibles. I'm not quite sure his is aligned with mine. I do not like Mitt for reasons I cannot put a finger on. But I tend to judge people correctly most of the time. I mean, heck, I can't stand your librul butt. Judged that one well, I'd say.

You just have the Old Testament, right?

My bible don't teach this:

B. Gods Must Have Wives

If none but gods will be permitted to multiply immortal children, it follows that each God must have one or more wives. God, the Father of our spirits, became the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh. (Orson Pratt, The Seer, page 158)

C. Mary And God Were Married

The fleshly body of Jesus required a Mother as well as a Father. Therefore, the Father and Mother of Jesus, according to the flesh, must have been associated together in the capacity of Husband and Wife; hence the Virgin Mary must have been, for the time being, the lawful wife of God the Father: we use the term lawful Wife, because it would be blasphemous in the highest degree to say that He overshadowed her or begat the Savior unlawfully. (Orson Pratt, The Seer, page 158)

D. Joseph was Her Second Husband

Inasmuch as God was the first husband to her, it may be that He only gave her to be the wife of Joseph while in the mortal state, and that He intended after the resurrection to again take her as one of his own wives to raise up immortal spirits in eternity. (Orson Pratt, The Seer, page 158)

The man Joseph, the husband of Mary, did not, that we know of, have more than one wife, but Mary the wife of Joseph had another husband. (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 11:268)

E. The Bible Is Wrong

Joseph Fielding Smith, 10th Prophet of the Mormon Church: "They tell us the Book of Mormon states that Jesus was begotten of the Holy Ghost. I challenge that statement. The Book of Mormon teaches No Such Thing! Neither does the Bible!" (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1:18)

F. God Is A Man

"Christ was begotten of God. He was NOT born without the aid of man and that man was God!" (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1:18)

G. An Act Of The Flesh

The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood- was begotten of his Father, as we are of our fathers. (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 8:115)

In relation to the way in which I look upon the works of God and his creatures, I will say that I was naturally begotten; so was my father, and also my Savior Jesus Christ. According to the Scriptures, he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it. (Heber C. Kimball, Journal of discourses, 8:211)

H. Not Of The Holy Ghost

''When the Virgin Mary conceived the Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost... (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1:50-51)

'What a learned idea' Jesus, our elder brother was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in heaven." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1:50-51)

'Now Remember from this time forth, and forever, hat Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. will repeat a little anecdote. I was in conversation with a certain learned professor upon this subject when I replied to this idea- "If the son was begotten y the Holy Ghost, it would be very dangerous to baptize and confirm females and give the Holy Ghost o them, lest he should beget children to be palmed off on the Elders by the people, bringing the Elders into great difficulties."...But what do the people in Christendom, with the Bible in their hands, know but this subject? Comparatively Nothing." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1:50-51)

I. Bruce R. McConkie, deceased member of the 12 Apostles (d.1985) and leading LDS theologian, writes in Mormon Doctrine:

SON OF GOD: God the Father is a perfected, glorified, holy Man, an immortal Personage. And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is born to a mortal father. There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events, for he is the son of God, and that designation means what it says.—page 742

SON OF MAN: Christ is the Son of Man, meaning that his Father (the eternal God!) is a Holy Man. "In the language of Adam, Man of Holiness" is the name of God. Page 742

SON OF MARY: ...but the Holy ghost is not the Father of Christ and when the Child was born, he was "the Son of the eternal Father. —page 743

ONLY BEGOTTEN SON: These name-titles all signify that our Lord is the only Son of the Father in the flesh. Each of the words is to be understood literally. Only means only, begotten means begotten, and Son means son. Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in He same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers. —page 546

B. Gods Must Have Wives

If none but gods will be permitted to multiply immortal children, it follows that each God must have one or more wives. God, the Father of our spirits, became the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh. (Orson Pratt, The Seer, page 158)

The fleshly body of Jesus required a Mother as well as a Father. Therefore, the Father and Mother of Jesus, according to the flesh, must have been associated together in the capacity of Husband and Wife; hence the Virgin Mary must have been, for the time being, the lawful wife of God the Father: we use the term lawful Wife, because it would be blasphemous in the highest degree to say that He overshadowed her or begat the Savior unlawfully. (Orson Pratt, The Seer, page 158)

Inasmuch as God was the first husband to her, it may be that He only gave her to be the wife of Joseph while in the mortal state, and that He intended after the resurrection to again take her as one of his own wives to raise up immortal spirits in eternity. (Orson Pratt, The Seer, page 158)

The man Joseph, the husband of Mary, did not, that we know of, have more than one wife, but Mary the wife of Joseph had another husband. (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 11:268)

E. The Bible Is Wrong

Joseph Fielding Smith, 10th Prophet of the Mormon Church: "They tell us the Book of Mormon states that Jesus was begotten of the Holy Ghost. I challenge that statement. The Book of Mormon teaches No Such Thing! Neither does the Bible!" (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1:18)

F. God Is A Man

"Christ was begotten of God. He was NOT born without the aid of man and that man was God!" (Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1:18)

G. An Act Of The Flesh

The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood- was begotten of his Father, as we are of our fathers. (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 8:115)

In relation to the way in which I look upon the works of God and his creatures, I will say that I was naturally begotten; so was my father, and also my Savior Jesus Christ. According to the Scriptures, he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it. (Heber C. Kimball, Journal of discourses, 8:211)

H. Not Of The Holy Ghost

''When the Virgin Mary conceived the Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost... (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1:50-51)

'What a learned idea' Jesus, our elder brother was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in heaven." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1:50-51)

'Now Remember from this time forth, and forever, hat Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. will repeat a little anecdote. I was in conversation with a certain learned professor upon this subject when I replied to this idea- "If the son was begotten y the Holy Ghost, it would be very dangerous to baptize and confirm females and give the Holy Ghost o them, lest he should beget children to be palmed off on the Elders by the people, bringing the Elders into great difficulties."...But what do the people in Christendom, with the Bible in their hands, know but this subject? Comparatively Nothing." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1:50-51)

I. Bruce R. McConkie, deceased member of the 12 Apostles (d.1985) and leading LDS theologian, writes in Mormon Doctrine:

SON OF GOD: God the Father is a perfected, glorified, holy Man, an immortal Personage. And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is born to a mortal father. There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events, for he is the son of God, and that designation means what it says.—page 742

SON OF MAN: Christ is the Son of Man, meaning that his Father (the eternal God!) is a Holy Man. "In the language of Adam, Man of Holiness" is the name of God. Page 742

SON OF MARY: ...but the Holy ghost is not the Father of Christ and when the Child was born, he was "the Son of the eternal Father. —page 743

ONLY BEGOTTEN SON: These name-titles all signify that our Lord is the only Son of the Father in the flesh. Each of the words is to be understood literally. Only means only, begotten means begotten, and Son means son. Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in He same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers. —page 546

Your Bible does have polygamy.

B. Gods Must Have Wives

E. The Bible Is Wrong

F. God Is A Man

G. An Act Of The Flesh

H. Not Of The Holy Ghost

SON OF GOD: God the Father is a perfected, glorified, holy Man, an immortal Personage. And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is born to a mortal father. There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events, for he is the son of God, and that designation means what it says.â€â€page 742

SON OF MARY: ...but the Holy ghost is not the Father of Christ and when the Child was born, he was "the Son of the eternal Father. â€â€page 743

ONLY BEGOTTEN SON: These name-titles all signify that our Lord is the only Son of the Father in the flesh. Each of the words is to be understood literally. Only means only, begotten means begotten, and Son means son. Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in He same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers. â€â€page 546

mormon-translation-south-park.jpg

Dum Dum Dum Dum Duuummmm

Just wanted to post this:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints expressly forbids polygamy and excommunicates members found to be practicing polygamy. Various splinter groups left the mainline LDS Church to continue the practice of polygamy. Polygamy among these groups persists today in Utah, neighboring states, and the spin-off colonies, as well as among isolated individuals with no organized church affiliation. Polygamist churches of Mormon origin are often refered to as Mormon fundamentalist.

Just wanted to post this:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints expressly forbids polygamy and excommunicates members found to be practicing polygamy. Various splinter groups left the mainline LDS Church to continue the practice of polygamy. Polygamy among these groups persists today in Utah, neighboring states, and the spin-off colonies, as well as among isolated individuals with no organized church affiliation. Polygamist churches of Mormon origin are often refered to as Mormon fundamentalist.

Is that not the Order of Joe Smith, or something? Like he found some gold plates one day and decided God spoke to him and they were made scripture. I read their bible, it's just another knock-off. I read the Koran, another knock-off. Many Masons are Mormons, and everyone here knows what I think of their kind, right?

It's all just another way to manipulate/control the masses. In other words, govern. Pit us against one another so we can't see who is behind all of the problems we face in society today. Everything from women's lib to the civil right riots, all of it orchestrated by the shadow government (or satan, whichever you prefer). Today, I even question our own scriptures, as to whether it was changed to control us. :poke:

B. Gods Must Have Wives

E. The Bible Is Wrong

F. God Is A Man

G. An Act Of The Flesh

H. Not Of The Holy Ghost

mormon-translation-south-park.jpg

Dum Dum Dum Dum Duuummmm

Thank you for your well thought out and intelligent response. I am now swayed to change my vote.

Archived