AU family Pet Thread

WarTiger

I hope that picture was taken in the summer because everyone knows you just don't carry a blue Dooney purse around in the winter. Geez, what a fashion faux pas that would be.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is being highlighted in the circle on the corner of the pillow?

Pretty pups. Sorry to read about Molly.

Yes, he is a yellow lab and his father is about 75-80 lbs. I hope Noah can handle that a year from now, when Hammy puts his front paws on his shoulders.

Here is a great book that will teach your dog good behavior and kepep him from jumping on people. You can teahc lpuppies, young and older dogs good behavior.

The Loved Dog

The Playful, Nonaggressive Way to Teach Your Dog Good Behavior

#2 on The New York Times Bestseller List!

Tamar gives you all the instruction, insights and tips you need to teach your dog good manners, as well as to troubleshoot specific problems and unwanted behaviors. Whether you use Tamar's method to train a puppy or to teach an old dog new tricks, both you and your dog will love The Loved Dog.

Tiger (9 yr old) Got him in Columbus while I was still at Auburn (he is a bona fide Auburn Grad and has his Masters degree from UF.)

tiger.jpg

Sherbert (2 years) A complete bad ass he weighs 19 pounds and even Sani would like him!

Sherbert.jpg

19 pounds! Holy schnikes! That is one huge .... ur .... cat! :big:

Here's a picture of my old friend, Roid. He got ticked off one day because I didn't feed him the right kind of Alpo. He trashed the house, roughed me up, and then ran off with the next door neighbors poodle.

2192-640.jpg

Here's a picture of my old friend, Roid. He got ticked off one day because I didn't feed him the right kind of Alpo. He trashed the house, roughed me up, and then ran off with the next door neighbors poodle.

2192-640.jpg

"RoidZilla" pr "TyrannosaurusRoid"

Don't want to tangle with that "Thing"

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a picture of my husky puppy. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Jack, my 3 year old black lab, at the lake...

img0238he5.jpg

This is Oscar as a pup

Oscar.png

I really didn't like him at first, had some surgery and was laid up for a while and got use to him. Now I wouldn't take the world for the little turd.

pup.jpg

I have some others of a Lab, Husky, and half Setter/Lab that I had to leave at my parents farm. To have taken them away from there and moved them into a half acre lot would have been shameful. The Huskie, drowned last year. We found her at the dam of the pond on a ledge that was about 5 ft out in the water. I figured she was taking her daily swim and got tired and couldn't make it. She was 13. The Lab was killed by a pack of dogs from one of the neighbors house. He was 10 and just couldn't fight them off and my dad couldn't get out to him in time before they had finally inflicted the fatal wounds. They beat up the other dog pretty bad too. Almost didn't think he was going to make it. He is getting old himself. I was heart broken over the Husky and Lab. They were great dogs.

Speaking of heartbroken... I posted on this thread April 3 about my dog, Doctor Watson.

This little guy...IMG_0051.jpg

I'm sad to say that Doc spiraled into bad health to the point that I had to have him put to sleep. You really get close to a dog that is an inside dog that is involved in almost every family activity. We got him in 1991 as a puppy when the kids were between the ages of 6 and 10. He was a Cairn Terrier, like Toto in the Wizard of Oz. He was very smart, loved to play, and there wasn't a mean bone in his body. The kids fought over who Doc would sleep with each night, so I had a schedule where he alternated which kids bed he would sleep in each night. He rotated between the three. After a couple of weeks, he would just go to the "scheduled" bedroom and jump into the correct bed. As the kids got older and not as interested in Doc, he and I got closer. He slept in our bed, insisted on being in the easy chair next to me, and totally enjoyed riding in the truck to get a plain hamburger for himself.

About a year ago he became incontinent. We put up with it because, after all, it was Doc (the carpet needs to be replaced now). During that time he also became nearly blind and deaf. He stopped eating, and then lost the ability to walk, or even stand up. The Saturday night before he was put to sleep was an all nighter with a lot of pain... physically for Doc, and emotionally for me. I made the "God" decision that he had to be put to sleep. His Vet. was closed on Sunday, so I made an appointment with Pet Smart at 1400 hours for him to be put down. The in-store Vet. said that they could take him in the back and kill him, or I could be with him while they did it. Although it was really hard on me, but easier on Doc, I opted for the "I'll hold him while you give him the lethal injection" scenario. I just sat and rubbed his ears while they did the injection, and he just faded away. Just like that... 16 years of a companion full of vigor and life... gone. It really got to me when I handed him back to the Vet... now as a lifeless rag doll.

So, spend a little more time with your buddy tonight, maybe take him for a ride to the drive-through and and get him a burger. You're gonna miss him when he's gone.

I can't imagine that. I'm lucky my dog is gonna live to 145. That is one of the reasons I stopped my veterinarian track after two years...reality set in that I couldn't do that.

That sucks TD about Doc. I know what you mean though. You get attached to them pretty quick. I never thought I would like a small inside dog, but he is there every day when I get home and he wants to play tug-of-war with the towel for at least 30 minutes. Oscar loves to go to Krystals and get a cheese krystal and a few fries to munch on. I think I will take your advice and let him go with me to get a Cheese Krystal when I get home.

Been a while since I could put anything in here but now I can.

Here is our new pup (yes he's big for a pup) PIERRE. We picked him up today and he's 9 months old. We got him this old because the breeder in North Carolina shows poodles professionally and they kept him because they were going to possibly show him. They decided against it and so we got him through the poodle rescue place nearby. He's very, very sweet and our other standard poodle, susie is VERY VERY JEALOUS..

Here's PIERRE....

sidebestwd0.jpg

AuTiger1,

My Harley and your Oscar may be related. We believe Harley is what you get when you cross a daschund with a beagle. Unfortunately the beagle personality is dominant, because she is a very hard headed, but spoiled dog.

Duke is a schnauzer/yellow lab mix we believe. He is exactly the opposite of Harley....very quiet and minds us very will.

Speaking of heartbreak, I have a picture somewhere of the first dog that my wife and I owned together. We owned Aubie only for a few months before she got out of my sister's house (she was watching Aubie for us while we were on vacation) and got hit by a car.

Sweet puppy Aubie:

n505417878_384293_9213.jpg

Aubie watching AU football game with me:

n505417878_384292_8798.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

AuTiger1,

My Harley and your Oscar may be related. We believe Harley is what you get when you cross a daschund with a beagle. Unfortunately the beagle personality is dominant, because she is a very hard headed, but spoiled dog.

Duke is a schnauzer/yellow lab mix we believe. He is exactly the opposite of Harley....very quiet and minds us very will.

Speaking of heartbreak, I have a picture somewhere of the first dog that my wife and I owned together. We owned Aubie only for a few months before she got out of my sister's house (she was watching Aubie for us while we were on vacation) and got hit by a car.

Sweet puppy Aubie:

n505417878_384293_9213.jpg

Aubie watching AU football game with me:

n505417878_384292_8798.jpg

Yeah, Harley has a daschund face. Oscar's dad was a mini and his mom was a toy, and we got him from that litter. I don't know that I would attribute all that to the beagle. Oscar is very hard headed(refuses to leave the trash cans alone) but he is very spoiled. Like I said I always had big dogs growing up and never thought I would like a small inside dog but he is the best. Good to know about Duke, we have been thinking about getting a schnauzer, but have been curious as to what kind of temperament they have.

Yeah, Harley has a daschund face. Oscar's dad was a mini and his mom was a toy, and we got him from that litter. I don't know that I would attribute all that to the beagle. Oscar is very hard headed(refuses to leave the trash cans alone) but he is very spoiled. Like I said I always had big dogs growing up and never thought I would like a small inside dog but he is the best. Good to know about Duke, we have been thinking about getting a schnauzer, but have been curious as to what kind of temperament they have.

My wife had two full-blooded schnauzers when we married, but she left them with her dad to keep him company. She is a big schnauzer lover and with as much as I have been around them also, they seem to be very good dogs. They love to play and are very loving dogs. They are also very easy to house train. Harley is a few months older then Duke (both are about 3 years old) and she will still have "accidents", whereas Duke will hold it in no matter how long it has been since we took them outside to potty. I can't even remember the last time Duke had an accident because it has been so long.

Archived