mustain to USC

kickinwang

Mustain is set to come to USC

From Times Staff and Wire Reports

April 19, 2007

Quarterback Mitch Mustain, who started eight games for Arkansas last season, will transfer to USC, a source said Wednesday.

Mustain, 6 feet 3 and 205 pounds, had been contemplating transferring to either USC or Tulsa. He visited USC in February and also watched the Trojans scrimmage at the Coliseum this month.

Mustain could not be reached for comment. Coach Pete Carroll declined to comment.

Mustain passed for nearly 900 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2006. He will not be eligible until the 2008 season, when he is expected to compete with Mark Sanchez and Aaron Corp for playing time. Former Razorback receiver Damian Williams, who transferred to USC in January, also will be eligible in 2008.

Mustain and Williams had enrolled at Arkansas with hopes of duplicating the success they enjoyed in a wide-open passing attack at Springdale (Ark.) High.

Arkansas hired Mustain's high school coach, Gus Malzahn, as offensive coordinator, but the Razorbacks instead used a run-oriented attack built around tailback Darren McFadden, the Heisman Trophy runner-up.

LA Times

Well, I'm torn on this one. On one hand, Nutt let a blue-chip player get away. On the other hand, who really needs such a prima donna on your team?

Well, I'm torn on this one. On one hand, Nutt let a blue-chip player get away. On the other hand, who really needs such a prima donna on your team?

Two blue-chippers and a very promising OC. Mustain's favorite target, Damien Williams, has also transferred to USC.

I don't think Hootendale let them get away so much as ran them the hell off.

I think the last part of your comment is your answer. Let Pete Carroll deal with him now. Mustain had a lot of steel to make the complaints he did as a freshman. Or should a say his mom made a lot of complaints?

Or #3) Who wants to have to deal with a liar like Houston Nutt the rest of their college days?

Nutt lied his pants off to the kids from Mustain's school to get them there. They are a large part of why Nutt is even still at ARK. Nutt lied to get them and then didnt live upto one thing he said. I cant fault the kid fully for this. Malzahn never got the chance to be the real OC there, as he was promised too.

Or #3) Who wants to have to deal with a liar like Houston Nutt the rest of their college days?

Nutt lied his pants off to the kids from Mustain's school to get them there. They are a large part of why Nutt is even still at ARK. Nutt lied to get them and then didnt live upto one thing he said. I cant fault the kid fully for this. Malzahn never got the chance to be the real OC there, as he was promised too.

What 'lies' do you speak of?

Since he and his family weren't intelligent enough to see through the Nutt/Malzahn offensive coordinator 'lie', we are suppose to 'feel sorry' for him.

I know this kid's type. The whole incident of his daddy talking to the AD at Arkansas is so typical of there kind. That crap goes on everyday in highschool football/sports. They were too stupid to realize it wouldn't fly at a D1 college. It is a good day for Arkansas.

Hammer meeting the nail.

Good stuff, D.

What 'lies' do you speak of?

Since he and his family weren't intelligent enough to see through the Nutt/Malzahn offensive coordinator 'lie', we are suppose to 'feel sorry' for him.

I know this kid's type. The whole incident of his daddy talking to the AD at Arkansas is so typical of there kind. That crap goes on everyday in highschool football/sports. They were too stupid to realize it wouldn't fly at a D1 college. It is a good day for Arkansas.

JD it is mutual. The only thing I would say is that Mustain and the WRs came there expecting Malzahn to run the show. Nutt was never going to let that happen. He even hired their hs hc to get them to come. When he was recruiting them, CHDN recruiting so poorly was THE topic on the Ark boards. He signed Mustain, who was going elsewhere at the time by inventing this crazy Malzahn job offer schtick.

I thought Usc would be a good fit for him since its a modern day Nfl Qb factory, I think Pete Carrol will get Mustain on track.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know Nutt has as much as to do with this also. He did mislead those kids, but also, that is not the first time it has been done at the D-1 level. Usually a kid quietly transfers when that happens. But Mustain and his mom could not let that happen quietly, which now makes him sound like a prima-donna.

So, as David said, the blame flows both ways. Nutt lied and Mustain's and his mom threw a public temper-tantrum about it. If it were my kid, sure i would have been ticked off, but I would have politely asked for the transfer and left it at that. Now, Pete up at USC has to deal with Mustain and his mom and Nutt has one more year before he is fired.

To be honest, I think we have heard the last of Mustain. Just a feeling I have, nothing really to go on. I think he will flop at USC. The only way that does not happen is that CPC gives Mustain a major attitude adjustment and tells his mom where she can stick her opinion. Then Mustain may become something at USC. Then you have to ask yourself, can Mustain be a pocket QB and give up being used as a mobile QB, because I have a feeling that CPC will ask him to do that. I could be wrong.

I thought Usc would be a good fit for him since its a modern day Nfl Qb factory, I think Pete Carrol will get Mustain on track.

The salary ain't bad either.

Just for the record, if I was Pete Carroll, I would not have asked this kid and his nutjob mom to come play for me. I just think the way CHDN carried out the plan was too much for me if I was MM.

I think that if MM ever starts a game at USC, he will be lucky. I still think he is too much of a prima donna to be very successful. And his mother needs to let him grow up. She needs to let him make his own mistakes. Sure, she is there for him, but not spoon feeding him like he's still an infant. He is a young adult!

I'll wait and see. The rest of the country may just be surprised. It's not like the kid sucked. He actually played very well in the SEC for a true freshman. Pete Carrol does not care what kind of primadona you are so long as you win games. So 2008 or 09 will be the test.

Mustain is a queef bag and a momma's boy. Had he respected his coaches and known his role as a freshman, he could have improved over the offseason and probably would have won the starting job again this fall.

Now he's buried on the USC depth chart. If he starts a game for them before 2010, I will be surprised.

Archived