Edwards charges $55,000 to speak to UC Davis students about poverty

DKW 86

He should save himself the misery and drop out of the race right now.

The closest Edwards has been to poverty is the corporations and insurance companies he bankrupts with his wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuits. I mean, seriously, you can't makes stuff like this up. Edwards is a laugh a minute comedy routine and the media ignores it and they will run Bush in the ground over his Texas drawl. I guess i find a $400 haircut more humorous than an accent. Maybe I'm wierd.

John Edwards racked up millions sueing companies based on junk science claims.

Ever notice how the media always points out the fact that John Edwards grew up as, "the son of a mill worker." What they don't tell you is that his father actually owned the mill he worked for. Oops, small detail left out there.

John Edwards is trying to be every "blue collar workers" champion while not truly being a blue collar guy himself. Come on, what blue collar guy/gal out there pays $400 for a haircut? My heart does go out to Edwars because his first born son died in a car wreck many years ago. I also admire the courage that Edwards and his wife has shown during her battle with cancer. So, I guess this does give him legitimicy when he discusses struggles and hardships, and wanting to make health care affordable to all.

Regardless, John Edwards should not be taken seriously as a candidate. He has aligned himself with the far left groups of George Soros and is a dove when it comes to national security. He will suffer the same result as he did in the primaries back in '04. He'll stay in the race longer than anyone else but will never seriously challenge the nominee.

Ever notice how the media always points out the fact that John Edwards grew up as, "the son of a mill worker." What they don't tell you is that his father actually owned the mill he worked for. Oops, small detail left out there.

Well, not quite "owned" the mill. He was in management:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...lobe/?page=full

Basically, the Edwards family was solidly middle class, not "working poor."

Mr. Edwards grew up in Seneca, South Carolina in a mill home.....but not the "low end" side of the mill district. I'm from up the road in Easley, (Clemson is between Seneca and Easley for those who may not know where it is) and I can tell you that John was not wanting for much as a child. They were not rich, but poor is a loooooooooooooong way from where he came from.

Well, not quite "owned" the mill. He was in management:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...lobe/?page=full

Basically, the Edwards family was solidly middle class, not "working poor."

I'm not sure the article you cite supports your assertion. Sound like they worked themselves up from working poor to lower middle class. Sounds like his Dad started near the bottom as a floor worker living in public housing and his mom was a postal carrier.

By Johnny's third birthday the family had moved five times across the Carolinas, and up the economic ladder as well. Wallace Edwards spent most of his career with Milliken & Co., which owned a string of textile mills, and he received promotions from floor worker to ``time study'' jobs - monitoring worker productivity - to supervisor. Over time, the family went from living in a public housing project to a ranch-style brick home on a tree-lined street.

Even then, Wallace Edwards believed that his lack of a college degree kept him from advancing at work, which he found both frustrating and embarrassing. ``I remember waking up at 5 a.m. and seeing my father watching those little shows on TV to try to learn how to do math problems,'' John Edwards says. ``He thought it would help him at work.''

When he was 9 or 10, the family - which by then included younger sister Kathy, with brother Blake soon to come - moved to a house on a dirt road in Thomson, Ga. One Sunday after church, the family settled down to dinner at a restaurant crowded with well-dressed patrons, and had begun looking over the menu when Wallace Edwards cleared his throat.

``We have to leave,'' he said. ``It costs too much.''

In Robbins the family prospered. Wallace Edwards became a manager at the local Milliken mill, and Bobbie ran her own antique refinishing business out of a roadside shop. His father later left the mill, at odds with his bosses' constantly preferring college graduates over him, and Bobbie became a postal letter carrier so that the family would have health insurance

So what's your "source" of misinformation? Faux News?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39310

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Pa...L20040120a.html

Studies going back to the 1980's show that doctors can do very little to cause cerebral palsy during the birthing process. It's not scientific fact that premature deliveries can save a child from cerebral palsy. Yet, John Edwards racks up millions sueing doctors based on a hypothetical. Most legal experts will tell you that John Edwards won those cases not so much on the facts of the case alone, but with his persuasive demeanor with a jury. Everyone with half a brain knows that if you get the right jury, what most people refer to as a rogue jury, you can win a lawsuit with the right attorney. The bottom line is people like John Edwards and the junk lawsuits they rack up are one of the main reasons why health care in this country costs so much. Of course, someone like you would be more inclined tos ay that the cost of health care is attributed to the Bush tax cuts.

Studies going back to the 1980's show that doctors can do very little to cause cerebral palsy during the birthing process. It's not scientific fact that premature deliveries can save a child from cerebral palsy. Yet, John Edwards racks up millions sueing doctors based on a hypothetical. Most legal experts will tell you that John Edwards won those cases not so much on the facts of the case alone, but with his persuasive demeanor with a jury. Everyone with half a brain knows that if you get the right jury, what most people refer to as a rogue jury, you can win a lawsuit with the right attorney. The bottom line is people like John Edwards and the junk lawsuits they rack up are one of the main reasons why health care in this country costs so much. Of course, someone like you would be more inclined tos ay that the cost of health care is attributed to the Bush tax cuts.

You ignored your cocky little BS comment about his Dad owning the mill.

Do you have any credible sources regarding cerebral palsy?

This source refutes your Right Wing sites' claim that it is all genetic and states that 20% of it occurs during the birthing process.

http://www.ucpresearch.org/cerebral-palsy-.../prevention.php

BTW, your "source", Mr. Boisseau is just another attorney who defends doctors. He's objective. :rolleyes:

Citing him is like me citing Edwards view on tort reform.

You quote a lawyer claiming he believes all CP will be proven to be genetic and you think he's a qualified medical source? Never too late to at least try to acquire some critical thinking skills.

I made the statement of his father owning the mill based on information that came out during the 2004 campaign. If memory serves me correctly, I didn't hear this piece on Fox News either. If his dad was in upper management and did not own the mill, then fine, my mistake. I remember it being a hotly debated topic back in '04 on how John Edwards claimed to be the champion of the everyday common man and media celebrating him as the son of a mill worker when in fact, his father owned the mill, or had high stakes in the mill. Liberals and Conservatives would not debate the topic without credible information on the childhood of John Edwards. Anyway, I stand corrected. Nevertheless, his father wasn't your average mill worker as the media would like most of us to believe. I should have made that my main point and moved on.

There are plenty of sources on cerebral palsy. It's common knowledge that there's no definitive proof that cerebral palsy can be prevented by premature deliveries. That's what john Edwards based most of his lawsuits on. So until there's a correlation between cerebral palsy and premature deliveries, the science of it should not hold up in court. So what do you want, should I post a link to every source for or against cerebral palsy so I can debate you until the next century on the merits of each article? Post a link if you want. For every link you post, I guarantee you that there's another study that will dispute the study you've consulted on cerebral palsy.

This source refutes your Right Wing sites' claim that it is all genetic and states that 20% of it occurs during the birthing process.

http://www.ucpresearch.org/cerebral-palsy-.../prevention.php

BTW, your "source", Mr. Boisseau is just another attorney who defends doctors. He's objective. :rolleyes:

You quote a lawyer claiming he believes all CP will be proven to be genetic and you think he's a qualified medical source? Never too late to at least try to acquire some critical thinking skills.

You can quote sources all night long. For every source you quote, there's another source that will refute it. You're only quoting the source that is favorable to your preconceived impulse to defend John Edwards at all cost. Give me a break, don't sit here and tell me that you're this Cerebral Palsy expert who blogs on this site all of a sudden. Hell, I'm no expert either, obviously. The bottom line is that there's no proof. Based on the conflict on this issue within the scientific community, no trial lawyer should bring in millions sueind doctors on a mere hypothetical. Even in the study you consulted, 70% of all CP cases occur before birth. So how do you determine which CP falls into the 20% category? Even if the study is fact like you claim it is.

You're so pathetically predictable. You sit here and argue the merits of CP caused during the birthing process like it's a matter of fact, and not scientifically disputed by most people in the community. And you tell me to acquire some analytical thinking skills? Please, speak for yourself.

I made the statement of his father owning the mill based on information that came out during the 2004 campaign. If memory serves me correctly, I didn't hear this piece on Fox News either. If his dad was in upper management and did not own the mill, then fine, my mistake. I remember it being a hotly debated topic back in '04 on how John Edwards claimed to be the champion of the everyday common man and media celebrating him as the son of a mill worker when in fact, his father owned the mill, or had high stakes in the mill. Liberals and Conservatives would not debate the topic without credible information on the childhood of John Edwards. Anyway, I stand corrected. Nevertheless, his father wasn't your average mill worker as the media would like most of us to believe. I should have made that my main point and moved on.

There are plenty of sources on cerebral palsy. It's common knowledge that there's no definitive proof that cerebral palsy can be prevented by premature deliveries. That's what john Edwards based most of his lawsuits on. So until there's a correlation between cerebral palsy and premature deliveries, the science of it should not hold up in court. So what do you want, should I post a link to every source for or against cerebral palsy so I can debate you until the next century on the merits of each article? Post a link if you want. For every link you post, I guarantee you that there's another study that will dispute the study you've consulted on cerebral palsy.

You made your statement from memory regarding misinformation from the 2004 campaign. Given that you cited CNS and WND, there's no telling where you got it from. You're still so biased, you still can't aborb the truth. His Dad started as a floor worker and worked his way up. They lived in public housing. Why you guys begrudge someone who started at the bottom and advanced over the course of a career is mystery. You're supposed to believe in that as Republicans, right?

If a baby isn't getting oxygen, brain injury can occur. I doubt any of us were on the jury of those cases, so we don't know what all the evidence was. But we know that medical insurance companies have ample money to put on a defense and they are very experienced at it. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff. If the jury was convinced the doctor was responsible, it was not because the doctor wasn't able to present expert witnesses and put on a zealous defense. For you to assume it was bogus is just uninformed bias on your part.

You made your statement from memory regarding misinformation from the 2004 campaign. Given that you cited CNS and WND, there's no telling where you got it from. You're still so biased, you still can't aborb the truth. His Dad started as a floor worker and worked his way up. They lived in public housing. Why you guys begrudge someone who started at the bottom and advanced over the course of a career is mystery. You're supposed to believe in that as Republicans, right?

If a baby isn't getting oxygen, brain injury can occur. I doubt any of us were on the jury of those cases, so we don't know what all the evidence was. But we know that medical insurance companies have ample money to put on a defense and they are very experienced at it. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff. If the jury was convinced the doctor was responsible, it was not because the doctor wasn't able to present expert witnesses and put on a zealous defense. For you to assume it was bogus is just uninformed bias on your part.

As for CP, no one knows what causes it exactly. There is some debate about anoxic brain injury, but I would venture to say that most experts would agree anoxia would be one on a list of many causes. The problem lies in the fact that we don't exactly know what causes the problem. You can examine these brains and not find one structural problem. So an expert could never tell you with great certainty that this caused this patients CP. There are lots of things that get blamed on anoxic brain injury during birth. However, many long term studies have come out in recent years that have disproven most of them. The study I most recently read disproved long term developmental and behavior disorders such as ADHD and a propensity towards drug abuse.

As for medical malpractice cases, I know doctors fear jury cases because they are easily won over by emotional sermon-esque presentations by lawyers. A judge will see through the bs and thru to the heart of the issue. I remember reading an article mentioning how Edwards gave closing arguments in excess of one hour without notes that brought the jury to tears. Edwards is very good at what he does, but that is no relfection of the legitimacy of the case.

As for CP, no one knows what causes it exactly. There is some debate about anoxic brain injury, but I would venture to say that most experts would agree anoxia would be one on a list of many causes. The problem lies in the fact that we don't exactly know what causes the problem. You can examine these brains and not find one structural problem. So an expert could never tell you with great certainty that this caused this patients CP. There are lots of things that get blamed on anoxic brain injury during birth. However, many long term studies have come out in recent years that have disproven most of them. The study I most recently read disproved long term developmental and behavior disorders such as ADHD and a propensity towards drug abuse.

As for medical malpractice cases, I know doctors fear jury cases because they are easily won over by emotional sermon-esque presentations by lawyers. A judge will see through the bs and thru to the heart of the issue. I remember reading an article mentioning how Edwards gave closing arguments in excess of one hour without notes that brought the jury to tears. Edwards is very good at what he does, but that is no relfection of the legitimacy of the case.

If the insurance company truly believes the facts are on their side and the amount is high, most insurance companies will appeal and a judge can overrule the decision if the facts don't support the jury's finding. Are you aware of any Edwards case that was overturned on appeal?

I know initial jury awards were significantly decreased. I think its all on wikipedia. I remember reading up on his cases around the last election and after the flu shot shortage because he was blamed for suing the vaccine makers out of business in this country, which was untrue.

I know one of his most prominent cases was against a pool filter maker that disemboweled a kid after the safety grate was removed. I guess I don't know the details of the case, but that seems more like a case intended for the pools owner than the filter maker. I guess I could see it if the grate was defective or too easily removed or something to that effect.

I know initial jury awards were significantly decreased. I think its all on wikipedia. I remember reading up on his cases around the last election and after the flu shot shortage because he was blamed for suing the vaccine makers out of business in this country, which was untrue.

I know one of his most prominent cases was against a pool filter maker that disemboweled a kid after the safety grate was removed. I guess I don't know the details of the case, but that seems more like a case intended for the pools owner than the filter maker. I guess I could see it if the grate was defective or too easily removed or something to that effect.

A reduction in the jury award may be an indication that the judge believed he/she needed to level out the degree of emotion that may have played into the award amount, but if the finding was left undisturbed, that would seem to indicate that the judge did not find the facts to be lacking in the decision of the jury.

Archived